Thread: Fleas, Chiggers, Mosquitos, etc....??

Fleas, Chiggers, Mosquitos, etc....??

Where I live (Utah) there is relatively no fleas.....so, I've never had Nebo on any flea preventative.

But I'll be driving to Ohio in just a few days, so I was thinking about putting him on a flea preventative. Also my sister keeps claiming the chiggers are horrible over there (I'm not even sure what they are?) so I don't know what to do about that..

I should have thought of this earlier, we're leaving on Wednesday. I'm not sure if I'll have time to get to a vet or not. I'm totally clueless on flea preventatives.......any advice? What is the best to get? Is it very often that a dog will have a reaction to it?

I don't think the West Nile virus is really here either...honestly I don't know anything about that. I have him on heartguard, but that doesn't stop mosquitos from biting. Is there some sort of insect repellant that can be used on dogs?

I think its a good idea to get him on some flea preventitive. I recommend Frontline. I tried advantage and it didnt work that well on them..

hi wolfq!

Just got back from Arkansas, camping with Oz. I used Frontline on him. Worked great for fleas, not so great for ticks and was useless against skeeters. I had on some bug spray that had 100% deet and it didn't deter the skeeters one iota from biting me, so the mild bug spray I put on Oz to help with skeeters, didn't do diddle squat. He was mainly getting bit on his legs and nose, where his fur is thinner, so skeeters might not be as big a problem for Nebo.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

We use Frontline on our dogs and it seems to do a pretty good job. The mosquitoes don't seem to be out much during the day or at least in the sun so we haven't had too much problem with that. So far none of our dogs have picked up ticks at the dog park (and we go 5-6 times a week). Nor have I found fleas on them - I don't know what chiggers are so I can't respond to that. Lately because of the humdity we have been going later in the evening and when the mosquitoes start biting us, we leave but again there hasn't been too many. Although it has been raining a LOT this weekend. And is suppose to continue through this week. Frontline is sold at Pet Supplies Plus and there is one in Findlay.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

I got one application of Frontline put on him today......geez it was $18.50 just for ONE.... Hopefully that will work. I asked them if many people here use that on their dogs, and they said it was very rare for people here to use it.

Re: Fleas, Chiggers, Mosquitos, etc....??

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Also my sister keeps claiming the chiggers are horrible over there (I'm not even sure what they are?) so I don't know what to do about that..
    Ooooo!! I'm getting itchy just thinking about those little boogers! Chiggers are horrible little microscopic bugs that burrow into your skin and cause a small bump to form that itches like no tomorrow. We just had to treat our yard for them. Millie and I were covered, but no one else even had any! So maybe they are selective and you and Nebo won't get any. If you do, sit in a tub (less than1/2 full) of warm water with a 1/2-cup of salt in it for 15-30 mins. That always works better than any other method to kill them. I guess the salt is absorbed and kills them? I just know it works! Have fun!!

Aaaagagagagagag! OK, thankyou very much Micki76, I am the itchiest person alive right now. Uggggh I've never heard of those, those critters before and I certainly don't want to experience them. My spine is STILL crawling! UGGGH!

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    I got one application of Frontline put on him today......geez it was $18.50 just for ONE.... Hopefully that will work. I asked them if many people here use that on their dogs, and they said it was very rare for people here to use it.
    Yup, it is very expensive, but well worth it. They sell them by singles over there? Overhere they sell them in packs of three.

We also use Frontline for ticks and Fleas and haven't had any problems with either. I have not heard of Chiggers , so I started looking on the Internet. It sounds like they can be in Ohio, but most the sites I found talked about them being a problem in the middle-south part of the US-states like Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, etc.

$18.50 is alittle more then we pay (about $13/dose through the vet), but I gues since there isn't as much of call for the medicine in Utah they think they should charge more

They do normally sell it in larger packs but I talked her into selling me just one dose. The vet herself told me there really was no need to use them here.

Hopefully we can steer clear of the chiggers, those sound like nasty little bugs!

Well the chiggers never seem to bother me. The things I hate
    are the ticks. Embedding their head into your skin as they feed
    off your blood. And you can't just yank'em off of you or you'll
    be stuck with their head under your skin. They've got a special
    lil' gadget where you squeeze on'em trying to entice them to
    back out of your skin. Which is time consuming and irritating
    enough, but lord help you if they pick a hard to get to crevice
    on your skin, that you really don't want a bug in.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Catnip as a Mosquito Repellent

A study found that catnip oil (nepetalactone) is 10 times more effective as Deet, without Deet's harmful effects.
    Caution! Keep (Dog) away from Kitties!

Thanks to BCBlondie for this great signature!