Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: labradors???

labradors???

i want to know more about labs.....such as post pics and stuff like that.....i'm not sure i like the breed so try talking me into it...lol
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

OMG, how can you not love labs???? They are terrific dogs! go to www.google.com, type in labrador retriever go to images, and u will find all sorts of pics and info on them!
    Last edited by GoldenRetrLuver; 06-10-2003 at 09:08 AM.

I hear they are VERY good family pets. I'm not a lab person but when I lived with my grandma a couple months back, there was a choco lab next door..she was about 5 months old. Too bad I didn't snap any pics...

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Well lets see, seeing how I am a huge Labrador fan, and have been researching the breed for the past year and a half...I think I can help you out.

Labrador Retriever Club
    Just Labradors
    Sporting Dogs. com
    Labrador Pictures
    Big Yellow Dog
    MSN- Labador Retriever's

A great book to check out at the library: Books for Dummies: Labrador Retirevers

Some basic information of of the top of my head:
    Labradors are one of the best breeds to have around children. They are not aggressive, and make a bad guard dog. Labs have webbing between their toes to help them swim, along with a double-coat to keep them warm and water resistant in cold water. Labs are the most popular dog breed in America...many think it is the Golden Retriever, but that's not true. Labradors have a lot of healt issues. The number one health issue is hip dysplasia. Their coat is not hypoallergenic so if you have allergies (like me), they make your allergies act up.
    Last edited by Desert Arabian; 06-09-2003 at 07:38 PM.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I can't believe Riley is my first lab--he is so great. He learned to potty outside very quickly, knows commands, loves to play with Abbey (he's a little timid around Kito), and just always wants to be with people!! He listens so well too--he can go off leash to play frisbee or ball outside, because he'll come when we call him.
    How could you possibly resist this face:
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Labrador Retrievers are the most popular dog in America! How could you possibly not like them?!?! I have a Black Lab, named Sadie.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

they are not agressive,and make a bad guard dog
    not entirly true , they are quite a territorial breed and make good guard dogs.very protective of their familys more so than most breeds

they take ALOT of training (as all dogs do)

can be stubborn, hyperactive

but avove all wonderfull loving active family members (great working dogs, obedience,agility,tracking,retrieving,flyball)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I'd just like to add that they can be very energetic and need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. Before I had my black lab, I thought that because the guide-dog labs I had seen were so calm and focused that all labs were like that. Now I know that a whole lot of training and practice is required get that focus!

A great thing about all that energy is their attitude--Oreo approaches everything with the attitude "That's My Favorite!"
    Oreo and Molly

wow! they are cool dogs. i guess i never liked them because they are so plain looking.i don't know.

thanks for the links. there is a choc. lab that lives a few blocks away.he is cute,but he is HUGE!!!

i like hyper dogs.i like a dog that i can take to the park and run with.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

lute

I didn't know anything about labrador's either when I got my cross breed, - still don't know a great deal but am learning every day.
    Mich

I disagree that they make bad guard dogs. I know that they generally make better watch dogs, but I've heard many stories about labradors attacking people in defense of their family.

They are very energetic, and are quite prone to obeseity, so they need alot of exercise. They love to swim and play fetch, and they are quite friendly and outgoing. Great with kids, and they make great family dogs. Otherwise I can't really say much that others haven't already said...
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by cloverfdx
    not entirly true , they are quite a territorial breed and make good guard dogs.very protective of their familys more so than most breeds
    99.999999999% of Labradors would rather slobber all over a burglar rather than jump for the jugular. They are not the best guard dogs. No where near as good as a Doby, Rottie, Shepherd, etc. Many Labs will bark, like all dogs, to show the tresspasser they don't like them, but after they get to know the tresspasser they are ok with them.

can be stubborn, hyperactive
    Labs are extremely high strung between the ages of 6 months and 3 years. They start to settle down (a little bit) as they get older. Generally females are more stubborn than males, because they tend to be more independant. Of course, that doesn't hold true for all Labs, just a majority.

they take ALOT of training (as all dogs do)
    They are one of the easiest breeds to train....

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

be careful though. my neighbors lab is really mean! she is dominate and will pick fights with dogs and other animals. also she can not be trusted with ANY YOUNG CHILD. she already has attacked, maybe, 4 kids in the neighborhood in the KIDS OWN YARD!!!!

i'm not a lab person myself, but i like some labs.

See...

Here are some quotes to prove I know what I'm talking about.

Quotes about "guard dog" Labradors:

"Generally speaking, Labs are happy, friendly souls, but they are very easily bored. Labs have above average intelligence and learn quickly. Labrador Retrievers make great family members, usually get along well with children and other pets. They will alert you to strangers, but are not "guard dogs", although they will offer protection to the best of their ability. Above all, they give unconditional love. Your Labrador Retriever deserves love and respect from their family."
    -Labrador Retriever Rescue, INC.

"True Labrador Retriever temperament is as much a hallmark of the breed as the "otter" tail. The ideal disposition is one of a kindly, outgoing, tractable nature; eager to please and non-aggressive towards man or animal. The Labrador has much that appeals to people; his gentle ways, intelligence and adaptability make him an ideal dog. Aggressiveness towards humans or other animals, or any evidence of shyness in an adult should be severely penalized."
    - The AKC Labrador Retriever Club, from breed standard

"Their best feature is their temperament. Labs are loving, people oriented dogs. They are happiest when they are with you. Labs are retrievers and will bring you things they find laying about your house or yard. They tend to be quite patient with children and wonderful family dogs. They are not guard dogs. They may bark protectively, but will generally not act more aggressively. Labs are wonderful people dogs, more likely to lick someone to death than hurt them. They tend to be stable, not easily upset by strange things or occurrences. They will take many things in stride."
    -Just Labradors, labrador retriever FAQ's

"A sweet, gentle, and playful temperment is really what a labrador is all about, if that is lost, then the breed is lost, because that wonderful labrador temperment is what attracts the majority of people to this breed."
    -Windfall Labrador Retrievers

Quotes about training Labradors:

"The Labrador Retriever is an intelligent dog that is not difficult to train because it learns quickly and likes to work for its handler. It is such a great pitty if such a dog can do nothing more than be a pet."
    -Enclyopedia of Dogs: Labrador Retriever- page 202-203

"Labrador Retrievers are people- and action- oriented dogs, and can become bored if left to their own devices. Untrained, they can be unmanageable due to their size and enthusiasm. Unexercised, they will often turn to destruction or escape to alleviate boredom and excess energy. They require attention and love as much as food and water. Labradors are easy to train which makes obedience work a fun way to interact with your dog. Labradors also require plenty of exercise -- this is especially true since most Labs love to eat! Ensuring they get proper exercise, training, and attention will give you a happy, healthy Labrador."
    -The AKC Labrador Retriever Club, INC

Mixed quote about both topics:

"The Labrador Retriever is a loving, affectionate, lovable, patient dog. Highly intelligent, loyal, willing, and high-spirited. Lively and good-natured, they love to play, especially in water - for they love to swim. They have an excellent, reliable, temperament and are friendly, superb with children and equable with other dogs. They crave human attention and need to feel as though they are part of the family. Labs are easily trained. Some may be reserved with strangers unless very well socialized as puppies. These dogs are watchdogs, not guard dogs, although some have been known to guard."
    -Labrador Retriever (Black) (Chocolate) (Yellow)
    {What an odd website name!!!}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Originally posted by cocker_luva
    be careful though. my neighbors lab is really mean! she is dominate and will pick fights with dogs and other animals. also she can not be trusted with ANY YOUNG CHILD. she already has attacked, maybe, 4 kids in the neighborhood in the KIDS OWN YARD!!!!

i'm not a lab person myself, but i like some labs.
    This dog is most likely attention starved. It is extremely rare for a Labrador to act this way. Read my quotes and you will know what I am talking about. If this dog has truly attacked four kids, it needs to be put to sleep. I bet if this dog got the proper attention, love, and training it would not be like this. Another thing, dominance has to deal with dogs, not people, so that is not an issue in the case of bitting children. If the dog was attacking every dog in the neighborhood, then that would be a dominance issue. Maybe the kids are being mean to the dog i.e hitting it, pulling tail and ears. I have seen a lot of kids being extremely mean to dogs (hitting, pulling ears, etc) and I feel like treating them the way they treat the dog, I yell at them of course. If that is why those kids are getting bitten, oh well, that is their own fault.

I feel extremely bad for this labbie...

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!