Thread: Neighbor's dog is constantly barking!

Neighbor's dog is constantly barking!

I am not sure what to do here. I am a dog lover, but hate barking dogs, especially during sleeping hours. On Sunday morning, our neighbor's dog barked from 2-5am. My husband went outside to investigate, maybe something was wrong, maybe someone was in their yard, something!!! Nope, Dakota was just barking. The bad thing is, our neighbor's didn't even wake up, slept through the whole thing. I know the man on the other side of them has already called the police for this dog's behavior, believe me, I wanted to but they are great neighbor's and I don't want to jeprodize our friendship over this. Has anyone had this problem, would love suggestions.

Intresting..I was going to post something like this.....my collie, Molly is a VERY excessive barker...neighbors havent been complaining too much, but i cant get her to stop. She barks for no apparent reason. I would say try the "shock collars" but I think the are very cruel...We just bring Molly inside when she starts barking her head off. Sorry im not much help.

Hey n' welcome to Pet Talk~!!! Glad to see another member~!!!

Sorry im not much help either...but our sheltie does the same. I would love to read what the other people have to say about it though.

I think the only thing to do is talk to the neighbors about it. I really like the dog, he loves to come over and play with Cinnamon and I don't want to ruin this. I also want to warn them before the police visit again. I know this is easliy solved by keeping Dakota in the house during the night, but he sure enjoys sleeping outside during the summer, winter is not an issue, we both keep the dogs indoors at night. Thanks for responding.

I wouold speek w/ your neighbors. They should understand especially if you are friends & they should appreciate that better than the police showing up.
    When I first got Raustyk she would bark constantly (thank god it was only during the day while I was not at home) but I had no clue until the cops showed up. The cops told me my neighbors complained over a couple months yet they never mentioned it to me. I would of loved to be told first, how was I to know as it only happened while I was not there. Thankfully the cops were understanding as I told them I never once recieved a notice of any kind, and I was a trainer & vet tech at the time. I finnally got her to stop but it took a long time & many many different tries w/ different products/situations/training.
    Sorry of the blabbing but anyways I would speak w/ them, maybe they are heavy sleepers & have no clue their dog is barking either! Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thanks for the good advice. Like I said I want to save them the hassle of talking to the police or dealing with the dog hater that lives next to them. I will go talk to them tonight, perhaps take a plate of cookies as a peace offering as well, oh, and a treat for Dakota.
    Last edited by MissCinnamon'sMom; 06-09-2003 at 04:47 PM.

Originally posted by MissCinnamon'sMom
    Tahnks for the good advice. Like I said I want to save them the hassle of talking to the police or dealing with the dog hater that lives next to them.
    I would definitely talk to them before someone who’s not as nice as you poisons the dog. This happens all the time with barking dogs, and it’s usually someone who would call the police and never speak to the dogs owners. You may even want to mention that you’re concerned that this may happen to their dog.

Yes i agree take the personal approach first, although be prepared it does not always turn out how u expected.
    Hopefully the dog has adequate shelter,food etc, and is not tied up all day and night, long, could be the cause of his barking, good luck and let us know how it all works out.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Welcome to Pet Talk!
    Like many others have said, talk to the owners.
    micki76 said to let them know that their dog may be poisoned. I was thinking the same exact thing. But the last time I did that... someone accused me of threatening them and their dog. So be careful!
    Anyway, I hope it all works out for you and you get stuff straightened out.

welcome to pet talk! That's very good of you to try for the polite and friendly approach. You should mention one of those non-barking collars. It's basically water that sprays up when the dog barks. And very soon after, the dog learns not to. It's alot better than sleepless nights and de-barking the dog. I hope all goes well!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

If you have a friendship with your neighbors, then maybe talk to them about it and ask them if there may be a reason their dog barks a lot and maybe ask them if they could try to quiet the dog down or something.
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

barking

My veternarian told me here are devices you can attach to your house rather like smoke detectors that emit a high pitched sound every time the doggy barks-I wouldn't want to hurt the barker's ears;but ...
    Artists and dogs are not meant to be understood;merely adored!!!