Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do cats prefer being single?

Here they are! Ron is the black and white one, he's about 7. Raven is the lighter one, she is about 3-4.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

all cats are loners and shouldn't have to share their home with other felines. Keeping more than one cat would always cause stress.
    ooookk, SOMEONE has been talking to my cats vet!
    she told me after Cookie died, to let Muffin be a lone cat... and I listened so well that now there are 7 cats. and she was right, except for Cookie, Muffin hated them all, til Callie, she likes her,
    and she tolerated Em but not Lu. she chased and attacked the kittens, Charlie and Patches, those poor babies were always running for cover, when I looked away for a minute, but Emma and Louise were on it boy, they went after Muffin, watched out for the kittens! Muffin would chase Louise at first too, but after C and P were in the house I guess muffin gave up on lu and turned to them...and, for all her guarding the kittens, Emma was RELENTLESS to Calllie, she followed her, and would chase her under the bed, and then STARE at her.. poor Callie! she is a totally different cat now. the funny part is, she did not pee on the carpet when that was going on.. I guess because we had her separated so much because of Emma, she felt more private? I don't know .

Quite frankly I think your friend is wrong! I dont think that there is any animal that doesnt want one of its own species To play with , and to lick her ears! Just check out my Siamses in the signature for Proof !
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

most cats will like other cats, even if it is only one other, with a personality that... "matches" ... since I can't think of the word I want.... but there are those rare that just want to be the only cat. I'm glad I have ones that get along so well. finally got the right group lol.

Kirsten if you look at semi-feral cats e.g. in Greek monasteries you will see that they live in losely connected groups. You can see that moms help each other with the babies and that thhey love to be where others are -though not to close,

Therefore I think it is important that both cats have their spaces where they can retire -and you can't be sure that they will be really good friends but I am sure they prefer not to be alone.

The rescue that I had a while ago Little Grey benifited so much from being around other cats. When I fostered her she had her own room because I didn't want to stress out my cats or especially my roommates cat who is one of those cats that wants to be alone. Well when Little Grey lived here she would never come out from under the bed, I would sit in the room for hours and talk to her and she never came out. But when she went to her new home where there were 3 cats for her to play with she only hid for an hour, then she made friends with one of the cats and now she is super social and runs around the new house like the owns the place.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I think it depends on the cat. I remember my first cat loved chasing and playing with the new kitten we got. Midnight didn't like the idea of having a new kitten(Cloey) and it has taken her several months to get accumstomed to it, but now they are finally friends. Before they just avoided each other.

I am a Bastet only person. She doesn't like other cats at all but will tolerate them. However, if another cat comes near me - all hell breaks lose!

So I would rather be owned by Bastet than have her stress out over another cat.

I agree with noah's mummy though - your friend and vet are clueless.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

I also agree that most cats like to live with other cats. My parents cat was one that didn't like other cats so she prefered being an only cat. When I only had Storm, he became very lonely being an only cat so then I adopted Pepper and everything was great. When Pepper passed away Sunny and Storm were grieving just like I was. I then adopted a third cat and now things are fine again.

And then there were four ...

It will be interesting to see how the troops take the fourth arrival, KAK!

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

I agree, it depends on the cat.

George doesn't care about other cats, as long as we get cuddle time.

Milo is one big lover boy grooming everyone including George.

Milly loves play fighting with Milo.

Treacle follows Milo & Milly around.

I would get Luna that cute kitten I saw on your other thread and when you do, we want MANY PICTURES

It's very encouraging to read there are so many cats here who prefer feline company!

I haven't spoken to my friend again since that conversation btw, especially now with Luna having surgery. Unfortunately, she often isn't very understanding when I'm worried about Luna's health or safety, and we had many arguments about that in the past.

She likes cats (and has one left now after the second one has died recently) but still has this old-fashioned "a-cat-has-9-lives-mentality" and believes cats will heal themselves when they are sick. That holistic vet friend she has doesn't seem to make things better in my eyes!

She also doesn't like my attempts to make my place safe for cats (for example that I don't let them sit in the open window, don't buy toxic house plants or leave candles burning with a cat around). She argues cats have natural instincts and won't get into trouble anyway, but I know how stupid it is to think that way 'cause I KNOW that accidents happen. Besides, it's my own business what I'm doing or doing NOT in my apartment.

To answer somebody's question: No, she doesn't share the apartment with me, she lives in another town 290 km away from here. She only likes to criticize others. But with Luna's surgery this week and that terrible waiting for the report I'm not in the mood for arguments like that!

Kirsten

Some cats prefer to be alone. Most don't mind having a companion for company.