Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As if by magic...

As if by magic...

...Houdini appears.

Hmm, any advice on raising half feral kittens?
    Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui.

Yes, it's time I updated my sig.

We've made a small 'cage' for him from the outside of a chest of drawers, if that makes sense.
    I'd rather not let him have free reign in the spare room just yet and the cage is way to small for any length of time.

You got him!!! I just love you! He??is so cute. Are you keeping him or sending him with mom & siblings? So how'd you finally get him?
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

Oh I'm soooo glad!!! He certainly looks very cute but scared. Tell us more details please.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

We went as soon as I got in from work, he was there with 3 other older cats. One we think is from an older litter and is feral, another is the father and a third I'd not seen before.

Just went in and scooped him up

Didn't Steve do well.

I am so pleased she survied the night alone.

A top down view of the pen...

It's not much I know

Me being "brave", getting him out of the box. With my special Kitten Proof(tm) gloves...

I gave up on trying to pick him as he spat, like a small explosion, every time I got close. Kind of funny to watch as rocked backwards with the force of it.

Decanting him into the pen...

In situ...

Oh and he got stuck as I tipped him out, on the lip of the carrier. So I reached towards him and he "exploded" and fell out

I should add that the crisp box has a nice blanket in it.

Congratulations on catching Houdini!!!

When I read the thread yesterday I was a little worried, but figured he would be okay for a night (because it isn't cold outside). But I am so happy you managed to catch him.

Are you going to take him to join Mom and the others?

Hurray!

Are you going to take him to join Mom and the others?
    I don't know.

As I am away for the weekend and Steve is working nights. The earliest we could take her to the shelter is Monday. (Shelter won't collect animals.)

My first thought is don't we HAVE to return her to mum. Isn't that the best thing to do, for her sake.

Then I think she is so cute and we fought the brambles for hours looking for her. Maybe we could keep her ?

I suppose it depends on how things go over the weekend with Houdini & Steve. (Oh and if we wanted to keep her, she would have to pass all her blood tests, we won't hurt our kitties)

Advice is welcome.

I know someone (K&L?) said a kit this old 7 weeks can eaten soft kitten food and water but does she need her mum's milk at this stage ?

I just hope she eats tonight, as ALL shelters are closed until tomorrow.

Any suggestions to persuade her to eat (she may of ate some food we put down put it is very hard to tell.)

At 7 weeks she would not NEED mom's milk, but if you are worried there is canned kitten replacement milk available. You could soften the food with that instead of water. And if worse came to worse and she does not eat on her own you could eye dropper it into her. You might also try canned kitten food.

Usually mom cats start weaning them between 4 to 5 weeks. There's always milk supplements you can buy at pet stores if she doesn't seem to eat.

http://www.care-for-my-cat.com/html/weaning.html
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers