Thread: HELP! Sleep deprived...too much kitty love?!!

HELP! Sleep deprived...too much kitty love?!!

I believe I was kitten molested by Romeo last night!
    At bed time, Romeo decided he wanted to go straight to bed with me, where he usually spends a good 15 minutes or so wresteling with Sammy. He chose to get situated right on my shoulder, purring right in my ear, his little nose was right in my ear!
    Well, I thought he just wanted to be extra snugglie, and his purrs were kind of relaxing. But before I knew it, he proceded to wiggle his head, under my head, and was kneading my hair, looking for milk I'm sure (he's almost 11 weeks now.) Geting frustrated, he examined my whole head, and neck, purring and kneading, at first I thought, oh he's so cute, because he did this the night before, but it was for a brief time, 1/2 before wake-up time.
    Romeo proceded to do this for a good 4 hours last night, taking a short intermssion in between for a snack, and potty break, then here he came again,purr, purr,purr,knead,knead,lick,lick,scratchie, scratchie I would gently move him away, but he'd come right back again. He's a super affectionate kitten, he's already a lap cat, and purrs as soon as he's picked up. I don't know if this is just his personality I can't lock him out of the bedroom, the litter boxes are kept in the bathroom, which is in my bedroom. Ohh, I'm so sleepy this morning!!
    Has this happened to anyone before? what should I do?
    Gotta go to work now, hopefully some suggestions before bed tonight!

A suggestion...

We had problems with Pixel keeping us awake. Here's what we did.

1) Moved her off the bed.
    2) Moved her off the bed again.
    3) One last time ...
    4) Strike er... four, you're out! You have been evicted from Mummy and Daddy's Boudoir.
    5) A few hours later (minutes in your case as kitty needs her toilet) she comes back in
    6) If she's good, she stays.
    7) If she's bad, repeat above as necessary, with the outside bedroom banishments being of longer time durations.

It kept us awake doing all this, but it wasn't long before she realised that she had to go downstairs to muck around. This may work for you. Good luck.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

I had a similar problem with Tanner, except he would always go for my throat (which makes it really hard to get any sleep). I just repeatedly pushed him away and covered my neck. He seems to have a fixation for bare skin, so now he will lick my arm instead (which is much better). As he has gotten older (he is now 7 months) he has gotten better about not doing it. I am still hopeful that he will totally outgrow it

Cheryl

Normally most of it vanishes when they get older but Filou can still show you much much love. Walking over you, purring giving headbumpies, going to the shelf, jumping on you. Standing on your hip (it's the highest point when I lie on the side) kneading. In Filou language this means: I am loving you so much -I am sure it#s impossible that you don't get up and give me a snack

The fact that I am sitting here LOL is probably not helping you. It is just that it reminded me of Sterling. He would lick my hair and face in the middle of the night for what seemed like forever!!!!!! I would actually have to get up and go into another room and hold him and pet him to settle him down so I could go back to sleep (and he was older than your Romeo). I guess the time we spend sleeping is simply too long for them to be without attention. And they do what seems most natural to them. Your choices are simple: Allow the behavior, they'll grow out of it (and I add, that no matter how annoying it is, you WILL miss it when they stop). OR bannishment from the sleeping quarters.
    Have fun.

Mishka does this also. Almost like clock work - at 3 am EVERY morning he will purr, lick, walk all over me, and even give me little "love bites". I have to admit - I love it! Even though I loose on the sleep, it's just so sweet. I guess I've gotten so used to it, there have been a few times lately that I wake up before him and wake him for some lovies!! The last few days though - he's taken to walking on my neck... not so comfortable seeing as he weighs in at 12 pounds!

Thanks everyone for your advice!!
    I never thought about the fact that Romeo wants attention, because he does'nt get any while we are sleeping!Poor little guy!! Thanks Jen for making me realize that!! It is VERY sweet when he does it, and I know I will miss it when he is older, and may decide he does'nt want to do it anymore!
    His little nails are sooooo sharp though!! the kneading really hurts on my face and neck though! I have been going to work with tiny little scratches all over my face! He's just such a darling!!

Last night wasn't too bad. I did wrap a towel around my neck, so he decided to groom my eyebrows and lick my eyelashes instead!! I guess I should'nt complain though, I would be more upset if he wasn't giving me enough lovies!! I should be grateful!!

Oh, that sweet little Romeo! You can trim or have trimmed his little claws to make them less sharp. In a kitten they need to be done fairly often to keep the sharp point off, but it is well worth it.

Ah, that sounds so familiar! My little girl Daisy (RB) would play by herself in the night, but at certain points come running full speed and jump on the bed - dashing up my sleeping body to headbump my face. I think she was saying "Hi Mom! Just checking in - gotta go play some more!" Then she'd run off and play.

The motto of all kitten owners should be "Sleep? What Sleep???"
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

I had a cat when I was growing up that would do that to my mom and me and finally he found a blanket my mom made and he would suck on that. Like a baby sucking it's tumb kinda thing. He would knead it and lick it and carry on. The blanket had little braids in it so it seemed like a place to nurse for him. But if we washed it he would get mad and attack us for washing it. He liked the scent of it and being able to keep the other 20 cats away from it was his priority.