Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feline Vaccine Sarcoma

Feline Vaccine Sarcoma

Does anyone have experiences with them?

I'm so worried right now, I just detected a lump near one of Luna's shoulder blades, and she had been vaccined last week (she's getting her shots every year, and she's three years old now). I will definitely bring her to the vet tomorrow, too bad that the vet's office is already closed today 'cause I'm really worried now!

Kirsten

My parents lost a cat to this, but Annie was old (by cat standards) before she developed it -- probably 10 or so. She also lived with a HUGE lump for many years.

Most vets today are very conscious of this and vary the location of vaccinations and avoid unnecessary shots (i.e. inside cats.)

It may just be a reaction or sensitivity Luna is having to the injection.

Yes - My kitty Daisy had a lump too - but don't panic yet! If Luna just recently had some injections, she might be having a small reaction to the medicine. This could go away by itself!

But, since you are going to the vet, you should discuss the issue of having future injections done in the legs rather than by the shoulder blades. I don't mean to sound upsetting, but the reason for injecting into the legs is that if Vaccine Induce Sarcoma does form, it is possible to remove a limb and stop the problem. However, if the lump is in the shoulders, it may not be operable.

My Daisy (age 6) had a lump on her shoulders starting in March one year, but it was not associated with recent injections. The lump got bigger ... and in November I had to help her to the Rainbow Bridge. There were a couple of treatments possible - but the chances of long term help were very small. I chose not to have the surgery.

I'm hoping for a good report for dear Luna - don't dwell on the bad possibilities - it won't help (take it from an expert!)
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

I've never had to deal with this. I just wanted to say that I hope Luna is fine and that the lump isn't anything serious. Please keep us updated.

Vets are not supposed to be vaccinating near the shoulders anymore! Hopefully it is just a simple reaction, please don't panic... just take her to the vet, and I would question as to WHY she was vaccinated in the shoulder!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Kirsten,

Please keep us updated on Luna. Jack is sending kitty kisses her way right now and saying that he hopes everything is okay. I'm sure it's nothing. Let us know what the vet says.

Yes - Bo had a lump on his rear flank, probably from the rabies vaccine. But it showed up MONTHS after his last shots. When I found it, it was pea-sized. I called the vet right away, and by the time he was scheduled for surgery it had grown to walnut-sized.

It was biopsied and tested, and it was cancer. They got it all and he's been fine since. I panicked badly during that time. I check him daily for any lumps, and so far, so good.

This really makes me think about what vaccines are really necessary for indoor cats. I still get so confused about the whole deal I want to cry. To think that something I did to him (shots) could have killed him makes me feel so guilty.

I just got to thinking...does this happen w/ insulin shots as well? Ali gets her shots inbetween her shoulder blades (that's how we were instructed to do it). I have never even heard of Feline Vaccine Sarcoma and I've had cats pretty much all my life. Any thoughts on the insulin shots? or is this just common w/ the vaccinations?

I don't believe in over vaccinating my cats. I get their rabies/distemper combo shots every 3 years. All my cats are indoor only. I mean, think about it...how often do people get vaccinated???

I hope Luna is okay and will keep her in my thoughts. Let us know how she makes out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My foster, Orangina has that pea sized lump now. On her right thigh.

It's in the hands of the Rescue, what they'll do about it.

Thanks everyone! I'm sad to hear that some have lost cats that way, or that others have indeed been diagnosed with cancer.

As far as Luna goes, I'm really worried about the whole thing. So far, it's more swollen tissue than a lump on her shoulder, so I hope it's just a reaction - but from what I've read, these reactions might cause cancer sooner or later!

I will really think about the necessity of annual shots 'cause Luna is kept indoors, but I wanted to have it done this year because of the new kitten I planned to get, and I wanted Luna to be protected. But I think as soon as the new kitten has settled in and turned out to be healthy, I won't have them vaccined EVERY year.

And as far as I know, vets in Germany ALWAYS inject at the shoulderblades or between them! It doesn't look like the danger of developing vaccine sarcomas is taken very serious here yet.

Lerah021399 , I don't think you have to worry about Ali, 'cause as far as I know, the tumors are caused by vaccines against rabies and feline leukemia.

BTW, I have just found this link, sound like good info to me:
    http://www.geocities.com/jillbethany...esarcomas.html

Kirsten

When Daisy was diagnosed, my vet said that there are several studies going on about why this happens in cats and not in dogs or other "domestic" animals - cows, etc.

There is speculation that because cats have a rather strange immune system things might go wrong when combined with some vaccines being "live" - meaning some cells of the actual disease are in the injection and the body builds up immunity to those live cells. I believe there also was some speculation on whether some combination of shots caused the problem.

So I'm sure many bright minds and caring hearts are working on this problem for our furry friends! I just hope they hurry!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

How is Daisy doing now, Pam?

I talked to my vet today and she said there is no proof so far that injecting into the legs will do less harm. Besides, according to her, there are not many cases of fibro sarcomas resulting from vaccines in Germany, this is what she said. But we agreed an indoor cat like Luna won't need her shots EVERY year (but this time it was necessary due to the upcoming arrival of the new kitten).

Anyway, the lump at Luna's shoulder is a reaction to the shot last week, and I have to keep an eye on that, and if it's not disappeared in a few weeks from now, it will be removed. But she told me not to panic.

Kirsten

Kirsten,

I'm glad to hear that Luna is doing okay. Jack was a little worried about her. Thanks for the reply on Ali too. I was a little concerned w/ the frequency that we give her shots that this could happen to her. Glad to hear that that isn't the case...I still went home yesterday and checked her for any kind of lumps.

Bastet gets her shots in between the shoulders in the fatty tissue there. The vet said that if she is going to have a reaction its better for it to be there than anywhere else. She has never had a reaction.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."