Thread: NO Garlic

NO Garlic

I just read this article in Prevention On Line. It is worth checking out. http://www.prevention.com/cda/qamult...5,5451,00.html
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Thanks for sharing that, Rachel. I know a lot of people who are big believers in garlic supplements for fleas, but I have never done it (no real reason.......I just haven't needed to I guess ).

Thanks for the link. Abbey has eaten onions (once when I gave her my leftovers from a salad)-I didn't know they were bad
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Thanks for sharing. I never give Kai garlic (either in powder form or just regular form). I don't see any reason in risking it. Especially when he is already on flea preventative.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Thanks Rachel! I know LOTS of people who sprinkle garlic powder on their pup's food!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

HMMMMM - this give me food for thought. Throughout the year I make doggie treats for sale for the Humane Society and some of the recipes call for garlic powder. But the quantity is so little, the cheese recipe calls for 1 tblsp and makes about 60 bickies. Am I putting them at risk??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

My dogs get a sprinkle of garlic powder on their food every night. On the diabetic dog board it is recommended to get a reluctant dog to eat. As dogs get older, some of them need a little incentive. The amount they get isn't enough to do any damage--lest than a quarter of a teaspoon. They also get a teaspoon of low fat/no fat yogurt mixed with their food to help digestion and avoid gas. Seems to help mine.

Mary

I give all my dogs brewers yeast tablets with garlic. All are in perfect health. great skin and coats. Their blood work is always good. My rescue sweetie had horrible skin and coat now she is pretty. I have never had a problem with it. Garlic is also in the BARF diet. A lot of people feed that diet and their dogs skin and coats look great and they are the picture of health. I do not feed onions. one I dont like onions. two they are toxic to dogs. Grapes are also bad for dogs. Causes kidney problems.

Thanks for the info

I never knew that garlic was bad for dogs, I knew onions were though.

I'm always being careful with the rats, they can't have onions either!!
    I've been BOO'd!

dog health. Re: Garlic

Not too long ago everyone was raving about how you could give your dogs 2-3 cloves a day to keep the fleas off them. On the other side of the coin they were saying not to feed your dogs onion. You know we have vets who will attend to our dogs, and who have the most wonderful advice,..........that is why they studied for so many years......to be able to help us with our pets.

I am not a vet, nor am I one who goes and runs off and tries any new fad that comes out, so I have never fed garlc to my girl, or onions for that matter. Years ago, I had a poodle, who only ate broiled beef and onions, and she lived a good long life. She at vegies too, and rice and pasta with sauce. feel the best thing is to phone your vet and ask questions, then you will knowwhat to that is the right thing for your pet.
    Mich

wow thanks for sharing! i give beanie garlic pills everyday to help with fleas.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.