Thread: door dashing

door dashing

I am currently living at my parents house - they have a huge garden and a big deck. The back door is used constantly. I was quite relieved as for the first two months Mishka didn't seem interested in the outside at all.
    Well- this past Saturday he ran away. He just slipped out in between my moms legs (I was out). My mom tried to catch him in the pouring rain to no avail. He ended up coming back on his own. Phew!
    So now that he has gotten a taste of freedom - he wants out constantly. He is already sitting at the door meowing. And he slipped out again on Sunday but I managed to catch him - boy was he miffed. He growled and scratched me while fighting to get away.
    So... what on earth can I do to prevent this??
    Please please give my ANY suggestions. I don't want my baby to run away!!

Tubby used to do the same thing when he was younger. First of all, everyone in the house has to be aware that he is doing this, and they have to be on guard every time they open the door. The one time they let their guard down he will be ready and will dash out again.

What worked for Tubby I wouldn't recommend (door slamming on his tail - ouch!) but what I would recommend is that whenever anybody wants to go out and he is waiting to dash, he must be told NO in a very firm tone, and I point my finger at him - don't know if that helps or not. The first few times he will still try and dash out. Be prepared and catch him or somehow stop him. Pick him up and put him away from the door and tell him again NO. It will take some patience, but eventually he will get the idea. Also, make sure that whenever somebody comes in the door they are prepared to stop him. If I have packages, I normally let the bags hang down low so even though the door is open, Tubby's path is blocked by the bags. That gives me enough time to affirm the NO and he gets the hint and backs off.

Tubby is now 17 and still dashes on occassion. It's been at least 2 or 3 years since he's been successful, and that time was only because Terry (bf) hadn't been trained properly. Now I can tell Tubby NO and I can open the door and come and go as I please and he will not attempt to run out. It's only when I open the door and so "OK Tubby, come on out." that he runs out. And then he runs out like he's dashing, and like he's saying to himself "Oh boy! I get to go out! Oh boy!" It's like he thinks he's getting away with something.

Like I say, this will take patience, and everyone in the house needs to do this, but eventually it should work. Good luck and hopefully others will have some more suggestions.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I find a spray bottle of water near the door works. I rarely even have to spray it I just hold it up like and gun and say in a very serious tone....."back away from the door!" it works most the time.

Hanna does this too. We sit outside at night with the dogs, and every time I come back in she is sitting (hiding) by the door. She hasn't been sucessful getting out yet, and if she does she would be faced with our 6' dog fence, but I still want to avoid it. There are places where she could scoot under the fence. This is my biggest nightmare, so I watch her like a hawk. I ma thinking about leash-training her, but I'm afraid it would make her want to go out even more. And she's really fast.

have you thought about getting a leash so that you can take him outside for some fresh air? I know that there are a lot of Pettalk members who do this.

These are not the droids you were looking for

I have - and he actually does not mind the leash so much - but as Boscibo mentioned, I am afraid to take him out as I think this will just make him more "hungry" for the outside..

my cats are all outside cats, but i think the leash will work. then they will know to go outside they have to have that thing on... or am i wrong?

Maybe, Maybe Not

Originally posted by aguu
    I have - and he actually does not mind the leash so much - but as Boscibo mentioned, I am afraid to take him out as I think this will just make him more "hungry" for the outside..
    There's no harm in giving it a try. You've got to set the boundaries here - don't let kitty get the better of you. By taking kitty outside on the leash, you are telling kitty "Yes, you may go outside, but it's on my terms only!" Make sure you reward good behaviour on the leash with a treat. When kitty goes for the dash, use whatever deterrent already works best on your cat (loud voices, pointing, spray bottles, etc.)

Good luck!

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.