Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was wondering

I have generally noticed that a mama cat will begin to continually look for her kittens if they are removed before they are weaned. Although it is always good to keep at least one kitten after they have all found new homes, after at least 8 weeks of kittenhood. After they are weaned and taught to hunt, her job is done. As far as determining the genders, after a couple of weeks, you will find that the males are larger and heavier, even before they begin to sexually mature.
    Last edited by L. Wayne; 05-31-2003 at 05:18 AM.

Sexing the kittens...

It is quite hard to tell the difference between the genders in the first couple of weeks, but after that, if you look carefully, you can usually tell. The thing to look for is the testes of the male, rather than the penis itself, as it is largely retracted until in use. If you are still unsure and have a strong need to know, have your vet have a look at them when they are a bit older.

Please make sure that you find good homes for all the kittens that you don't keep. Make sure that they are with their Mum for at least 8 weeks It is also a good idea to get them all wormed before they leave, as well as Mum and any other pets in the house.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

I had 5 kittens from two litters. The largest by far was a black female; she looked at least two weeks older still!

How early you can tell the boys from the girls depends on when the males' testicles descend. Sometimes it's early (Boots was most DEFINITELY a "he". But sometimes they're shy.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I was only looking for a boy face but the hole picture is fine
    please and thank you