Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: declawing

declawing

I live in the UK- can someone explain why some USA people declaw their their cats- its seem pretty cruel to me.

Because people over here care about their new furniture then their cats I think its cruel also.

P.S WELCOME TO PET TALK!

Welcome to PT! I think you'll find that this thread will be moved to another Forum. This is for "Cat of the day" - but you'll probaby find it in Cat General later.

I live in Denmark and declawing is not allowed here - luckily!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

NBecuae a lot ofPeople in the Us and Canada have mean , spoiled Brats , and it is easier to declaw the Cat than to tryto discipline the children!And they dont realize that the Cat , without claws will resort to Biting! Grrrrrr!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Re: declawing my kitten

Originally posted by cuddles02
    I had my kitten declawed about a month ago. I wanted mine declawed because it was scatching my so much and my furniture. Now that I have he has resulted to bitting sometimes. But that does not alway happen when you declaw a cat. But I think thaey seem to be more gentle. But that is just my thinking. I don't know how others feel. I have other kittens declawed before and they have turned out gentle. And the vet says that it doesn't really effect then when they are young, but if they are to old and you have them declawed then it is more of a problem. Because they are already use to having claws and they have to get use to walking without them. yes it may seem cruel to some but it all depends on the person. I really thought about this for some time but my kitten is only 8 months old now. But they say anything over a year old its rough on them. I love my baby and wouldn't do anything to hurt him he is just like another childe of mine.
    It's hard to believe that you'd never "do anything to hurt him..." What do you think you just did?! Geeze. I don't know whether you did all 4 paws or just the front, but if you did all 4... how's he supposed to get itches? ... or defend himself? That's pretty friggin' cruel if you ask me. If you don't want them damaging your stuff --- there is one simple solution. But most people are selfish and pick the solution that benefits them only. GET RID OF THE CAT.

Claws vs. No Claws

Don't remove anything from your pets but their reproductive organs. Don't declaw, don't have their tails or ears bobbed--if you don't like them the way nature made them look, then don't get an animal at all. Do the Michael Jackson thing and get yourself snipped on instead! LOL

I think you'll find that most people here on PT wouldn't de-claw their cats. There are a couple who have done it and I'm sure they had their reasons. Perhaps they'll post here....perhaps not. This topic tends to get pretty heated.

Personally, I'd never do it. I believe (I'm not a vet) that it can cause agression and potty problems. Not to mention it's the equivalent of cutting your finger off at the first knuckle. I also have dogs and I want my cats to be able to bap them on the nose or anywhere else should they need to. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I can't have nice furniture right now. And there's always the chance that they'll get outside......

When I worked the front desk at a vet clinic and people would call inquiring about declawing I really tried my hardest to educate them as to what was involved. Most thought it was just removing the nail, not the whole tip of the digit.
    ~Kat

Please be educated before you declaw!

Please check out several of the links on this site before you declaw your cat!
    http://amby.com/cat_site/declaw.html
    one of the sites actually has pictures of how gruesome the procedure is.,
    Most humane societies make you promise not to declaw a pet that you get from them because they know of the problems it incures. Lots of cats are relinquished to the Humane Societies and SPCAs because their temperment changes so drastically after they are maimed by this barbaric and unnecessary procedure.
    There are ways to stop cats from scratching furniture. Some of the suggestions are on these sites.
    Did you know some cats become severely depressed after the procedure. Maybe thats why some seem quite and calm. Some become so aggressive that their owners give them up. The SPCA and Humane Societies are full of them.
    If you cover the area of the furniture that the cat seems to go to with two sided sticky tape or aluminum foil the cat will stop scratching their. They hate the feel of aluminum or the stickiness on their paws. Also, get them a GOOD scratching post with at least 3/8 inch sisal rope. They love to scratch that.A climbing post is even better if you have and indoor kitty! Keep a water pistol handy if they scratch in front of you. Cats are creatures of habit and you can work with them without amputating their fingers.
    Just remember that cats are sensitive loving creatures and they do have rights.
    http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?UV=869979751445_91658420305&collid=7 0280944105&photoid=24471944105

I want to apologize to the owners of Today's Cat. It seems that some of our fellow Pet Talkers have forgotten their manners and blasted you for having your cat declawed. Please Pet Talkers, this is NOT THE PLACE to rant about declawing. This topic has been discussed and re-discussed here at Pet Talk. If you want to continue it, take it up under another thread. Don't spoil it for Today's Cat of the Day's owner. I really apologize to you.

10. Thank you Pam......

Yes Pam - congratulations only here. Please take up the topic elsewhere.

Originally posted by Pam
    I want to apologize to the owners of Today's Cat. It seems that some of our fellow Pet Talkers have forgotten their manners and blasted you for having your cat declawed. Please Pet Talkers, this is NOT THE PLACE to rant about declawing. This topic has been discussed and re-discussed here at Pet Talk. If you want to continue it, take it up under another thread. Don't spoil it for Today's Cat of the Day's owner. I really apologize to you.
    I was sure that this thread would have been moved by now, but then I remembered that Karen and Paul are away. So sorry to have gone off-topic here. I tried to be non-judgemental and was rather shocked at the vehemence of some of the other responses. I guess we need to remember that everyone is here because they love their pets.

Congrats to cat of the day! You're a handsome fellow!
    ~Kat

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question. Declawing is not allowed in the UK. By the way, my friend has 3 young cats- she managed to train them to stop scratching her furniture (is that really only the reason for declawing?)
    Sophie

This is the Cat of the day forum.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I deleted my original post. Although Cuddles02 did try to explain why she had her cat declawed, I still stand by what I beliefs. Declawing is cruel and inhumane and DOES hurt the cat.

So in response to COTD, cute cat.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!