Thread: What is Utility??

What is Utility??

I was wondering... what is Utility? I read somewhere about, gloves in Utility. I haven't a clue on what Utility, and Gloves in Utility mean! If you could explain what these two things are, that would be so helpful! Thanks!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Utility is a advanced class in obedience. There are three classes of obedience sanctioned by the AKC. They are Novice (Beginner) Open (Intermediate) and Utility (Advanced).

In Novice there are two divisions Novice A and B. Novice A is for anyone who has never shown a dog before. Novice B is for someone who has a beginner dog but has earned a CD (Companion Dog) title on a previous novice dog. Some of the things you are tested on are healing, sit stay, down stay, and recall.

In Open there are also two divisions. They are set up as Open A and B. Open A is any dog who does not have a CDX (Companion Dog Excellent) title yet. Open B is for dogs who have a CDX or are going for championship points. Some of the things you are tested on are healing off lead, drop on recall, retrieve over high jump, retreive on flat, and broad jump.

In Utility There are also two divisions. Classes A and B and they are pretty much the same as open in rules. A is for any dog who doesn't have a UD (utility dog) while B is for dogs who have a UD or are going for UDX (Utility dog Excellent) or championship points. Some of the things you do in Utility are scent discrimination, directed jumping over either a high jump or a bar jump, directional retrieve, healing.

Now that you understand a little about the different classes, I will explain the gloves in Utility. This is used for directional retrieves. There are three gloves placed on the far side of the obedience ring. At the judges descretion you are told to send your dog out to retrieve one of the gloves. You do not know what glove it will be until the judge tells you. This indicates that the dog will listen to you give direction in what way you want them to go. The scent discrimination is 12 articles (dumbells) 6 plastic and 6 metal and only one has your scent on it. The dog is sent out to find your scent within the circle of 12.

It is very interesting to watch and very difficult to get this title. Your dog must be very very responsive to your commands. Any dog with an AKC or ILP number can compete. My Dixie is training for Utility now and will start to show in the spring. It takes about a year or so to really get the dog to understand all the aspects of Utility before you can start to compete for the title.

I know I probably went into more detail than you were expecting. Hopefully I answered your question. If not please don't hesitate to ask. I will try to answer.

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: Dixieland Dancer ]

Dixieland Dancer explained Utility very well. If you want more info go here.

Sara (Rottie) is training in Utility right now. So she'll give you info, too.
    Becky Weise & the German Shepherd
    Iris Von Der Felzen Haus CD, CGC, 2 legs of NA
    Iris' Den

Dixieland Dancer described Utiltiy pretty good, these are the different exercises in Utility:

Signal exercise: dog must stay at handlers side while completing a heeling pattern usually including variations such as left or right turns, about turns, fast, slow, stop (dog then must sit at handler's side), forward again. While heeling, the handler signals the dog to stand and stay and goes out to the end of the ring. Then the dog has to down, then sit, then come and finish to heel. They must do this all on hand signals, the handler can not talk at all.

Scent Discrimination: A mixture of leather and metal articles (something big enough to fit in your hand) are laid out when the dog is not looking. The handler then takes one and scents it by rubbing her hands on it, it is then placed out with the other articles when the dog isn't looking. The dog has to find, by scent, his handler's article.

This is done twice, once the dog has to find a metal one, and once a leather.

Directed Jumping: The dog and handler sit between two jumps spread about 30 ft. apart. On command, the dog must go straight out between the jumps to the end of the room, then turn around and sit. On further command from the handler the dog must go over the jump which the handler directs the dog to. This is done over again and the dog does the other jump.

Directed Retrieve: 3 gloves are laid equal distance apart at one end of the ring. The handler and dog turn to face the gloves and then the handler tells the dog which glove to get usually by pointing to it.

Stand for Exam: The handler does a short heel forward and signals to the dog to stand and stay and walks out 15 or so feet. The judge then goes over the dog petting it as if he would in conformation. Then the handler calls the dog.

I think that's it, sounds hard, huh?