Thread: Renal Failure

Renal Failure

Our cat Simon, has what be believe to be kidney failure. He is going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, @ 8am, to get full bloodwork done. We gave him some fluids and are feeding him canned food. This is our most of our cats have gone. He won't be with us much longer.

Attached is a pic. of Simon.

I'm very interested in some background information from you as my cat Speckles is on a low protein diet because her kidneys are starting to go (a blood test confirmed the BUN levels were high).
    Can you please give me some details as to how this was diagnosed, what you've done as far as medication and what are the signs and symptoms of renal failure?? Thanks.

Could not see an attachment of Simon. Prayers on the way for him.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm curious as to more details also.

Tubby was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure about 2 years ago now, and he's doing fine. I originally took him in because he was throwing up just about every day. They did a blood test on him and found his levels indicated the kidney failure. The vet told me to give him a 1/4 of a Pepcid (antacid) every day. The vet said the Pepcid wouldn't reverse any damage that has already been done, but it would slow the progression of the disease. When I took him in for his 6 month check-up, the vet was pleased to see that one "level" had stayed the same - meaning it had stabilized - and the other level had actually improved! He had gained weight too since he wasn't throwing up all the time. The vet said the Pepcid increases blood flow to the kidneys - which helps them work, and it also calms the acids in their tummies so they aren't throwing up all the time.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, unless is acute, renal failure isn't necessarily a death warrant. I know kidney failure is common in older cats, but just live everything else these days, they are making more and more progress on treating the old age diseases of kitties, just like they are in humans. So please ask your vet about the Pepcid or similar treatment.

The last checkup Tubby had the vet actually said (her words) "He's doing remarkably well for a guy his age." He's 17 now, and I expect him to be around for quite some years yet.

So good luck at the vet tomorrow, and please let us know how things go.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh, I hope it isn't too late for your Simon. Prayers are with you that the vet can still do something to keep him around!

Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!