Thread: Understanding English?

Understanding English?

The strangest thing just happened as I was sitting here perusing Pet Talk.....! Duncan was lying quietly beside me. He stood up and was staring at me and looking like he wanted something. So I told him to go get his ball. He did the head cock thing and his ears perked up but he just stared at me and didn't go anywhere. I told him, "Go get your ball. it's upstairs in our room." Head cock, ears up but still staring at me. A few minutes go by. Duncan lies back down, licks himself, looks around for a few minutes and disappears up the stairs. Don't you know, he comes back down with his ball a few minutes later!!!!!!!!!
    Now I'm wondering, did he understand what I said and it just took a few minutes to sink in? Maybe he heard me but there was a time lapse while he figured out exactly what my words meant....
    These animals are so gosh darn smart! Is there anything they don't know? I think all the answers to all the real meaningful questions of the world are in there somewhere!!! We just need to figure it out!

I just thought of something....maybe Duncan was comtemplating getting the ball because what he really wanted was a walk to the park and he was trying to decide if the ball would do for now....
    Either way, he's still smarter than me!! And better looking if I do say so myself!!

Hmmmmmm...................

Abby basically has that down as a trick. I say, "Abby Get you ball!" and she does a few circles looking for it, but she finds it!

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

maybe she was trying to connect the word ball to what it meant and after she figured it out she took your advice?
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

Maybe he didn't really understand the whole part of it being in your room, but he understand the words ball or go get your ball and remembered where it was.... Sim does that all the time when i says "Where's Bunny?" [his stuffed toy] .. but now he thinks of honey, blustang24's dog, cause i call her bunny

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

that's odd....
    each time my friend tells her dog dixie we are going "bye-bye" she starts crying and yelling and throwing a fit because she wants to go too. and when i tell beanie that i am going for a walk or outside he gets up and wags his tail and his ears perk up and runs back and fourth to the door and me.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Thats so cool! Maybe he was thinking about getting the ball before you said anything, and then just went up to get it. Did he know where the ball was to begin with?
    -Amanda-
    Fur Mommy to Chloe, Clara, Dozer, and Max!

And mommy to my two little angels in heaven Scooter (1-07-04) and Dexter (1-13-04)

Our little Max (3-year-old black pug) understands it when we tell him to go get his toy. Everytime we go out to the backyard and he leaves his toy out there, we always ask him to go get it and bring it back inside! LOL!

Max also understands when I'm not feeling well. I tell him "Mommy's not feeling well." He looks at me, then comes to me and cuddles right next to me. He's so very affectionate that way.

Anyway, I'm new here! Glad to be amongst pet lovers! I don't know what my life would be like without my fur babies!

pugmama

Howdy,
    When I tell Chewy bathhh timee...shell run and hide,then I say hey Chris (brother #2) do you want to go outside?and shell come runnning to the door......

~Kay~
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Prince knows how to get his own toys too. I have a little box for him outside, and I will say, "Get your buddy," that is his little stuffed husky. He gets it, and I am trying to train him to put his toys away.