Thread: Mosquito Repellent for Dogs?

Mosquito Repellent for Dogs?

Hi everyone, I'm getting ready to take my dog Ceebers on a trip with me to an area where there may be some mosquitoes...I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good over the counter product for dogs that repels mosquitoes.

I've also heard that there may be an herbal treatment that doesn't use chemicals...any ideas?

Thanks!
    M

Sorry I'm not really help on this...the only thing I have to say is ...beware of over the counter products...I think it's best if you ask your vet.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

No Deet

I just read an article on how you are not to use any product containing DEET on your dog.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Yes, there is a new topical repellant for dogs and cats which repell ticks, fleas, and mosquitos. It is exactly like Advantage, I can't think of the name right this second...it has escaped my mind.

You may want to call your vet and ask them if they have a mosquito repellant...they will most likely have the product I am talking about.

If I think of the name I will post it.

A lot of people in Wisconsin use it for their dogs, since West Nile Virus has become a huge problem now.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Yep, its called Advantix.....I don't think I should use it because it is toxic to cats and I have 2 of them....

I'm still researching some herbal remedies too.

This is what our vet told us many moons ago, when we use to go camping with Max. Go talk to a pharmicist & see what they have in repelent for children/babies & u can use that on ur dog, as long as its non-toxic, if ur dogs a licker.. But Max isn't a licker so we used the same stuff as we used. EXCEPT we put it where he couldn't lick it if he wanted to. Like on his shoulders, tail (he hates touching his tail), the front of his neck, & on his belly (mostly on his belly), his belly has no fur on it. So what we do is:
    1. I grab a cloth & gently hold his, ummm u know
    2. dad sprays all over is belly, & inside of legs
    3. I grab my dino boxers
    4. I put my boxers on him & is tail goes out the fly.
    Max has worn boxers for such a long time, he never takes them off & if they're falling off him he'll come over & whine, until u pull up his boxers.

hehehe

There's a product out noe called Advantix. It's similar to frontline and advantage, the main difference is that it either kills the mosquitos or repells them (I can't remember).

Ask a vet about it. I haven't been able to find it at pet stores or online yet, but, I'm sure it will be sold OTC like advantage and frontline are soon enough.

I'm really surprised no one's mentioned this, the company has put out a huge media advertising campaign and commercials for this product are on TV about every 5 seconds.

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."
    -Margaret Mead

The only problem with Advantix is that it is toxic to cats....if you have cats then it can't come in contact with them at all....

advantix is very toxic to cats, ferrets, birds & probably more animals too, not enugh research. They say it is so toxic to them that even after it dries they should not be in the same house. Scary I would not even want to use it on my dog even if i did not have other animals.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I asked my vet yesterday about the Advantix and was told they didn't carry it, nor did they feel that the repellent effect was that good nor long lasting. Also they didn't feel that dogs were that susceptible to West Nile Virus. They did have another product, some sort of gel that could be rubbed on, but I didn't get any, so I don't know what the name of the product was.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I didn't know that. Thank you.

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."
    -Margaret Mead

Originally posted by Rachel
    Also they didn't feel that dogs were that susceptible to West Nile Virus.
    Um...that is simply not true. What is that vet smoking!?!?!?!? There was a dog in your state, (Bloomington) Illinois, that died from West Nile Virus. It was a Golden Retriever/ Setter mix.

"For the first time officials confirm West Nile has killed a family's pet dog.The dog, an 8-year-old Irish setter-golden retriever mix, died in the Bloomington-Normal area. " Quote taken from:
    CBS

Here is some more very informative WNV information everyone should read: West Nile Virus in dogs & cats
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Oh thanks for the link YLL. I've been pretty scared to take Kai out when it's damper and cooler. I've been meaning to get a repellent for him but I just don't have enough. Not even enough to pay for a vet visit Ack..I need a job.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Here is a helpful link that can tell you if the area you live in is known for West Nile Virus for animals......

http://westnilemaps.usgs.gov/

My vet said that there isn't a problem with West Nile where we live and I have researched it on the web and confirmed what she said. It all depends on the area.