Thread: Rabbitry???

Rabbitry???

i need some advice....i was offered a pair of angora rabbits. i wanted to know if i should breed them or not. i have done some research and i think i may want to try it. i do need some advice though just to see if any of you think it is a good idea.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I guess it depends. I am very involved in rabbit rescue so I say no, absolutely do not breed your rabbits. There is an incredibly number of homeless bunnies, especially during the months I call "The Easter Dump".... our sanctuary took in over 50 rabbits last year during May, June and July... and it never really stops. All year we get rabbits because grandma didn't ask mom and dad if junior could have a bunny and the parents don't want it; allergies is another reason, as is boredom; people don't research how to care for rabbits before they get them and then decide they are too much work..... Many people think they are doing a rabbit a "favor" by dumping them in a park or field so they can be "Free", except domestic rabbits don't have the necessary survival skills of wild rabbits.... I could go on and on.

Then there is the responsibility you would face in placing the babies. You need the right people...you need to talk to them and see what they plan to do with the bunny. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who might take a baby and then neglect it, or feed it to another animal. You should charge an adoption fee that's high enough to weed out impulse buyers and those who would use the baby as food for another pet.

Onthe other hand I am realistic enough to know that there is a sporadic demand for angora's. So this is a decision you are going to have to really think about and how much responsibility are you willing to take to see that the babies would get placed in a rabbit-loving home.

You should know that both males and females have a high incidence of reproductive cancers. Spaying would eliminate this threat. Also spaying calms the rabbits down and makes them more people friendly. Additionally it also makes the odor of their urine less strong smelling. So as you can see there are many good reasons NOT to breed your rabbits. Good luck with this decision.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

I dont think you should breed them. I think you should take them though to give them a good home .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

well if you aer ready for the responsibility i guess you could..but the least you could do is give them a home
    wots of wuv,
    ~*~Isabell(RB)&Cait~*~

WHAT IF.....
    they had just given up
    we didnt have to go to war
    no one had to suffer
    WHAT IF.....
    THERE WAS NO GOD?

One thing I would say is if you breed them you will have to be very careful in homing the babies.

When I was 11 my Mum brought home 2 sad looking rabbits who were practically bald with mange (cheers Mum!!) They were treated and turned out to both be angora. Keeping the fur knot free was so difficult (this was when house-rabbits were not really heard of) they lived in a hutch/run outside (one each as they were brother and sister but side by side so they could talk).

If I didn't brush them everday the coat got knotted and often i would have to cut the knots out with scissors. One even got a mat which had to be clipped off at the vets.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't think angora's are suitable for first bunnies/children because of all the extra work they need. Mine had the best temprements and were wonderful but life would have been so much easier without that coat. If not brushed and cared for the coat will mat and if left will make the skin sore and will lead for a very unhappy rabbit.

So I agree with the others - take the bunnies (as an experienced rabbit owner yourself) but don't breed them.
    Happy to help

If you don't know the family history, don't do it.

You don't know what horrible genetic defects.diseases you could be breeding into future generations of rabbits. If you really want to breed rabbits, get your foundation stock from a reputable breeder who keeps a history of their rabbits so you know what health problems are in the line, etc.

Thank you Wolf_Q!