Thread: Question about new puppy

Question about new puppy

A neighbor of a friend has a 2 year old unneutered male dachshund they may have to get rid of. To make a long story short, she does daycare for little kids and I think the dachshund has had his fill of little kids in his face. He hasn't bitten, but he's becoming snippy.

I am interested in taking him, but have a question. I have Max, almost 8 year old unneutered male. (Not my choice he's unneutered, but that's a story for another time.) I am worried about bringing two unneutered males together. If we take him, the first thing we would do is take him to the vet to have him checked out and then make arrangements to have him neutered. I am just concerned how to make the transition smooth and not ruffle anyone's feathers. Max (aka Bubba) is definitely the alpha male here.

Has anyone else had this situation? Recommendations and suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Thanks!!

Well, I'm sure that the dogs can figure out the dominance order themselves Your dog being alot larger and older, he would probably be alpha, but they may surprise you! Once the dacshund is neutered, he probably won't see Max as too bad a threat, and even Max will probably calm down a bit Otherwise, I'm not sure what to say..
    I've been BOO'd!

Well, when we introduced Max (8 at the time, unnutered Male, (another story also...) to MacDuff a new golden Retriver he wasn't happy at first. But we did introduce them on neutral ground. Then we just made sure that both got some extra special attention and in no time they were "buddies". We recently got Spike (who was unnutered for 2 weeks with Max) (Our Vet was more concerned with this relationship because Max went through a long grieving period when we had to put MacDuff down..Brain Tumor!)Spike was 7 months old and Max is 15. Again, we had them meet on neutral territory and they have been pals ever since. We made sure that when we would give them each a treat that we gave Max his first then Spike.
    Good Luck!!
    Lisa, Max and Spike

I think that it would work out...the two will work out things on their own (with your supervision though)

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I'm planning to take Max over to my friends, have her go get Dack (pronounced Doc) and bring him to her house. That way they could meet on neutral ground. Want to do that a few times before we make final decision on whether to take him or not.

Thanks for the input. I think they would figure it out pretty quickly.

I hope everything works out for you, Dack sounds like a special boy!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada