Thread: Chewing - Bitter Apple

Chewing - Bitter Apple

I have heard of a product called "Bitter Apple" to keep doggies from chewing on certain things. Anyone tried it? What's your take on it?

Thanks!

never tried it. I just used a stern NO!But once in a while he would nip my sister's heel when she ran...probably the herding instincts. I tried saying no at first but he didn't catch on so I tried putting a bit of tabasco sauce on her foot LOl...didnt work either...So now we're just telling my sister not to run around him.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

It worked for one of my dogs but to tell you the truth another one thinks it is the ketchup for her furniture sandwich.She loves it.It drives me nuts.So I guess it doesn't work for them all.I also found I had to reapply alot.I have heard there are other household items that you can use.Our Leonbergers breeder gave us a list of things they tend to hate so I need to dig it out because she is the one that loves it.I do find if I use something say no and give them something to replace it that is ok to chew they do better.The only problem I have is at night now if they aren't tired enough so on those nights when they are rambunctious at midnight I have to crate them so they no it is bedtime and they can't get into anything..I just love to sleep with them beside me so when they have really run and are beat the 2 that are competely housebroken and generally well trained( so to speak ),finished their first obedience class they sleep with me off course they can go to their crate if they want to.
    Laurie

wehave used it with Cincy..she liked to chew on our wooden door frames. we sprayed a little inher mouth, and onthe wood and she left it alone. Now, if she needs a reminder I show her the bottle, and spray it on whatevr she wnts to chew on ( that she shouldn't)

I tried it when Nebo was a pup and it didn't stop him at all...of course, Nebo likes EVERYTHING.

Bitter Apple didnt work for me and my sheltie. I was probably just seasoning my wood floor molding for him.

What works GREAT For me is Lime juice, Sounds a little weird but TRUST me on this it works great!

Bitter Apple will work for some animals, and others not. You have to keep in mind that it will evaporate after about 24 hours.

Some people worry about this product and say that it hurts the animal (stings in the inside of their mouth) which is a lie, how do I know? I've tasted it myself.

If Bitter Apple does not work, try using tabasco sauce instead.
    "If you won't rescue, don't breed"