Thread: Licking

Licking

Our cat Basil is a very calm cat (he's old) so he doesn't really play games but when you start petting him he won't stop licking you and if you try to pull like your arm away he'll take his paws and pull your arm back and keep licking you he's a funny little tubby boy
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

RE: Licking

Hi , I read your post with interest. My old cat (16 year old female) does the same thing and I am wondering what it could possibly mean! She would NEVER stop unless I stop her from licking me. It starts to hurt after while, so I do have to stop her, or else she really irritates the skin on my hands. Does anyone in the Pet Talk audience have any light to shed on this anomaly?? Just wondering over here in Montreal....gotta go...here she comes now for her morning licking session! regards from Deborah in Montreal, Canada
    One cat just leads to another - Ernest Hemingway

They are grooming you. Katiebug does the same thing...she will lick and lick and then nibble then lick, nibble...lick...bite. Usually not hard enough to break the skin but she is a tortie with tude. When she and I are having a minor disagreement about whether it is time for her to get down and she is throwing a temper tantrum I will ask her for a nose lick. She swipes my nose with a tongue and she gets to be let go. We both get what we want.

Re: Licking

Originally posted by puppygrrl4eva7
    Our cat Basil is a very calm cat (he's old) .......little tubby boy
    Welcome to Pet Talk!

I can't help with the licking thing, but I love the description of your kitty since I, too, have an old Tubby boy.

Here is my 17 year old Tubby...and yes, his name is Tubby.
    Gee, he really looks rather tubby in this pic.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

HI and thanks for reply.....

Hi Dencye!! (hope I have spelled it correctly!)It occured to me that it might be that she wants to groom me, but it is just that she wants to do it more often than I would like. Also, she started this with intensity about two years ago after the death of her sister. They were not overly close as her sister was very dominant and it seems that she is constantly in a state of euphoria since that time, and if she could, I feel that she would break into a chorus of "Ding Dong the Witch is DEAD"!!! Part of the change in her (Surviving sister) is that she is finally able to have all the affection she has been craving, but was prevented from having by her sister who determined when she could approach me. I tried to make sure the timid sister got attention from me, too, but somehow the dominant one was very intimidating..I feel that it has something to do with that My real hope is that it is not something medical; I will be sure to ask my vet about it soon. Thanks for your reply....from Deborah in Montreal
    One cat just leads to another - Ernest Hemingway

All of my furkids are believed to be under 3 years of age, and therefore do not lick my hand until it is raw. However Mopsy will lick and gently bite my hand when I pet and give scritchies to her. I do not know how old Mopsy is, but she is content to stay in one place most of the day. I know that if she was the only cat in the house, she would sleep with me on the covers. She does not get along with many of my other furkids as she only tolerates them. There are a few that she will not take a swipe at, Chris cat and Tiara, for example.