Thread: collar for new pup

collar for new pup

I am going to be picking up my new golden retriever pup in a few weeks and although I've spent hours reading everything I can get my hands on, I haven't found the answer to the following;

At what age (the pups age of course) is it prefered to introduce a pup to a collar?

I'm leaning towards introducing him immediately after I receive him (8 wks old) but would like to hear others imput on the subject.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome! Congratulations on your new pup!! Hope you'll stick around and let us get to know him!! And pictures are required! We LOVE puppies!! As for the collar, your puppy can start right off with a collar appropriately fitted; but cloth only...NO training or slip ("choke") collars for several months and I'm a firm believer that even then, they (choke collars) should be worn for training/class only. My Lab Star began Puppy-K at appx. 9 weeks and all the puppies were required to wear a cloth buckle type collar to class. And I'm sure you'll want to begin introducing him to the dreaded......LEASH!. Might I suggest you jump over to "Dog's General" and re-post your question there and introduce yourself?? Many more will see your post and I know they'd love to welcome you! This thread is for congratulating our Dog of the Day! Again, Welcome to Pet Talk!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

collar for new pup

hey! i put a collar on my toy poodle pretty much when i got her. but for advice , i'd leave it about a week i think. mainly focus on making the pup feel like this really is its home. well, thats my advice!