Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Grasshopper's Sick

Thanks, fellow cat lovers

I got the meds for her this afternoon, and the liquid antibiotic is a great way to go. She didn't appreciate it too much, but it was down her throat and followed up by a nice treat of Beechnut chicken baby food, so she didn't seem to mind too much. She's awfully thin, but she has been having problems throwing up, not just hairballs, but a lot of liquid as well. I am hoping that the antibiotics and the quarter tabs of pepcid the vet prescribed will get her in better shape. Right now she's down to 9.9 lbs, where she really needs to be a couple pounds heavier.
    For those who don't know my baby, here's her birthday honororium http://catoftheday.com/archive/2002/August/14.html
    Not a great pic, as it's a scan of a portrait - yes, I love this old girl that much! Thanks for the encouragement, Jen! I think she'll be happy not to have that large and rather ugly tumor off her tail, and I look forward to a little pretty tail - hey, we all need a change as we age! Of course, the "estimate from the body shop" (as Dadcat the car guy called it) was a little beyond budget (over $700.00!!) but it has to be done. (Dadcats the one that, whenever he sees another tuxie that looks like Grasshopper, always says, "Hey, a parts cat!")
    I had no experience in this before, and haven't checked this area for other people's experiences with these tail problems. If you want info from my vet about tails, let me know - I learned a great deal yesterday and today from her. And if anyone knows of a previous thread about tail problems, please let me know!
    Thanks for the loving thoughts and the prayers - Cinder & Smoke, I gave her a special noserub from you guys, and here's one back!; as Jen said, I too am more worried about her health not being up to surgery than I am about the surgery or the loss of a few inches of tail. She'll be 17 in August, and I hope she lives to be 20+ - I want her to see Idaho with us before she crosses the Rainbow Bridge!
    I love you guys! Grasshopper and Ko
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

Poor Grasshopper...
    Prayers are on the way.....

Now Grasshopper .... you be a good little kitty.... and take all your medicine.... *HUGS* and *KISSES* are on the way...
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Hewwo.
    Diz is Mozart.. I id speekeen fur all of us at me houz..
    we r so sowwee grasshopper dat you id sick. we id
    pwaying u get beddur soon, and dat ur surgery will go
    well. We kno u hate ur medicun, but be stwong, and take
    it so dat u can liv a long life wif ur meowmie.

Ur buddiez...
    Mozart, Bach, and Eliza

PS.. Our meowmie sends prayers, hugs and kissez too!

Kohala, I'm so sorry to hear about Grasshopper. Prayers and positive thoughts are on the way. I sure hope she'll become healthy enough for the surgery that she needs. Please take care. {{{HUGS}}}

Kohala, I just emailed you.......and then came to this thread.

Now you already have a direct line opened up to God by Cinder and Smoke........and you know how those guys are.......they know exactly how to ask God for what Grasshopper needs.

You can count on my prayers as well.

Hugs from Rascal and Gini

Dearest Grasshopper,

You struck my eye the moment I saw your mom's avatar! So much so that I just had to PM her about your beauty (as if she didn't already know! lol).

Many prayers are on the way from me & my furkids for your speedy recovery. Lots of love little one... we're thinking about you.

Ko- My sincerest well wishes are bein' sent your way. {{huggs}}

Dear, precious Grasshopper, everyone here will be thinking postive thoughts and praying for you, sweetheart. My heart broke when I read your Mommy's post. I know it's no fun, but if you take your meds. and put on a pound or two, I know you'll sai through that surgery! We need you strong and healthy for your birthday in August, Grasshopper! Love and hugs to Grasshopper and Ko...Sandra, Mr. B and Oliver

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Sending prayers and positive thoughts for a quick recovery, dear Grasshopper

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Dear Grasshopper, all fingers and paws around here are crossed and we hope you'll soon be fine enough to loose that ugly bump at your tail. A small but elegant tail is very fine for cats
    We send headbumpies and positive thoughts
    Filou and Tigris

poor Grasshopper, you beautiful girl!
    You will be in my thoughts and prayers, sweetie
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Aww....poor Grasshopper!

Get Well Soon Sweetie!!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Ko, any update???
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Kohala, we'll keep our fingers crossed for Grasshopper.

My mom's cat - Pantera had the tail cut by some EXTREMELY stupid neighbors. There a stupid belief that a cat tail can treat some psychiatric problem. So, they cut Panterusha's tail. Now she has a half only. When I found out I asked my mom if anyone told them, that A CAT TAIL CAN'T TREAT STUPIDITY!!! . But, the kitty, even being an outdoor kitty, treated well and she even has a litter of kittens now. She's 10 years old. For a kitty that doesn't even know what a vet means, she's very ok.

I hope Grasshopper will live long and happy.

Thanks from Grasshopper & me

So far, only two days into antibiotics and an increased diet (Beechnut baby food - apparently the purest meat - no additives - added as a side dish to her main meals) in smaller portions frequently during the day and evening. She seems to be a little less lethargic, but it's also a lot of additional attention, according to Dadcat. I'll know more after the next blood panel is done next Monday.
    Question - how to get a cat to pee when you ant them to? Been getting up extra early to try and cath her "in the act" for the urine sample - so far, no luck! Inevitably, she waits 'til I'm in the shower. So, guess I'll start showering at night and just running it it the a.m. - maybe that will fake her out - ? )
    She's as loving and cuddly as ever - even with getting pills and drops down her gullet twice a day! Probably the baby food chaser helps!
    There's no doubt in my mind the prayers and love you all are sending is helping. Blessings to all of you and your furkids (feather kids, scale kids, etc.)
    Will update next week. Love ya! Ko
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

If I remember correctly Phred had to get urine samples from "Boots the Kat" when he had surgery. I think that he just put a plastic liner in the box with no litter and that was how he collected the sample. You might want to PM Phred to check and make sure the info is right or if he has any special "techniques" for collecting cat urine