Thread: Crocodile abuse

Crocodile abuse

Did anyone hear that story on the news about the crocodile? There was a croc in someone's yard, and so they called animal control, and animal control came, strapped it around the neck with a rope and dragged it from their truck all the way down the road on it's belly I heard it screaming And then, for no apparent reason, the animal control officer got out of the truck and shot the croc! Right in front of a group of children! What an idiot!!! I was so sad when I saw this on TV
    I've been BOO'd!

I guess some people think that if it isn't cute and furry, it doesn't have feelings and you can treat it cruelly.

That is disgusting behaviour from an animal control officer.

This is the first that I've heard of this story, so I don't know all of the details. I am, however, sceptical of mainstream media and their inablility to tell all of a story.

Having not been there, I can only speculate that perhaps the croc was shot because it was a possible threat to the children that saw it. Think about it, if any of those children had been hurt, the animal control people would have had hell to pay.

Or I'm totally wrong, and the person that shot it is a total psycho.

I just don't know.

It was an alligator. Here's one story.

Texas Alligator

I saw video footage on the news last week. It was horrible.

I did a search on MSNBC (typed in Texas Alligator) and lots of related stories came up. This was unnecessary cruelty and the people who witnessed it were very upset, as I was when I saw the video on the Today Show.

i posted about this a few days ago, I think it was in general.
    anyway I agree it had to be removed, but aligator or whatever it was, it did not deserve to be DRAGGED, and i saw the video too, it WAS dragged. then shot! a dangerous animals still have feelings. I think they could have handled it much better, and still removed it so it did not attack children or pets!

btw, I saw on tv the other day that otters eat/attack aligators... isn't that amazing? I thought it was very interesting, and surprising .

I do not have a problem with animal control officers killing an animal if it is posing an immediate threat to people. But I have a problem with unnecessary cruelty and pain being inflicted on an animal because it is in the wrong place. By all means, shoot the animal, but do not drag it along so that it can feel every second of its skin being disintegrated on the asphalt. That is needless and cruel.

shoot the animal, but do not drag it along so that it can feel every second of its skin being disintegrated on the asphalt. That is needless and cruel
    I totally agree!

Re: This may sound cold but--------

Originally posted by Chase's Mom
    I'm sorry but I cannot have any feelings for an alligator. You see a gator that large likes to eat dogs, yes dogs as one of their main courses when they get as large as that one in Texas was. It could have even attacked a small child and well we don't really want to think about that do we. The game warden should have handled it differently but the outcome would have been the same. Sorry just speaking my peace.
    You can't have any feelings for it? Maybe I should put a rope around your neck and drag you around for awhile. I can't believe that someone who claims to be an animal lover could have no feelings for an animal that suffered just because it had a remote chance of hurting someone. Or maybe the officer only dragged it around and shot it because it was a reptile. What about large cats in areas they're native to? They pose a threat, but I'll bet if it had been a tiger there would have been a lot more kicking and screaming. Oh wait...I forgot...cute fuzzy-wuzzies somehow have a higher value placed on their lives than other animals.

Having been around many herpers almost all the time for the past four years, I haev heard NOTHING about gators liking to eat dogs as a regular part of their diet. The only instances of this I have heard of were isolated, where the dingbat owner let the dog offleash in the gator's territory. This is a rare occurance, it just somehow always makes the news when it happens.

There are RELOCATION programs that would have happily moved the gator somewhere where it couldn't do any harm. I would have cried if I had been there, or had to listen to the poor animal suffering. I cry when people laugh about killing rattlesnakes too. People waltz into their territories and then kill them for warning people away. If that keeps happening all that will happen is that we will eventually create rattlesnakes that don't rattle when they strike. Sorry, went into another tangent....

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Re: Re: This may sound cold but--------

Originally posted by WolfChan
    If that keeps happening all that will happen is that we will eventually create rattlesnakes that don't rattle when they strike. Sorry, went into another tangent....

That's already happening.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.