Thread: Mad cow disease

Mad cow disease

I assume that everyone has heard about the mad cow disease epidemic, and how it's hurting Canadas economy, not to mention Canadas animals --- I have heard on the news that in the future, because of the risks if mad cow disease, they will be using horse meat instead

I know it sounds kind of stupid or mean to say that I would eat cow but not horse, but I have been brought up eating cows so it will not affect me --- but on the other hand, I was never raised in a society that valued horse meat as food.

What are everybody's opinions on the matter?
    I've been BOO'd!

Re: Mad cow disease

Originally posted by wolfsoul

I know it sounds kind of stupid or mean to say that I would eat cow but not horse, but I have been brought up eating cows so it will not affect me --- but on the other hand, I was never raised in a society that valued horse meat as food.
    Same...But then again...if I had a pet cow I prolly wouldnt wanna eat its cousin...It would disturb me....but I dont own a cow so...

I feel strongly (against) horse slaughter, but facing reality here....horse slaughter does have a place in this world - and I am a horse lover.

Horse slaughter will not go away until backyard breeders quit breeding their inferior animals. People aren't going to sacrifice more expensive animals - the well bred horse that is worth $5000 isn't going to be sold for slaughter - the killer buyers can't pay that much.

Horses are expensive to keep, and people who buy a horse and later it goes lame, or they can't ride it because it has behavioral problems and they don't want to pay for professional training - they end up selling those horses for whatever they can get for them because they can't afford the monthly upkeep - those horses will go to slaughter.

Is it better for a horse to go to slaughter, or be neglected, slowly starving or dying of sickness because the owners can't be bothered to get vet care?

No, I would never eat horse. But then again, I have never bred my mare either - even though I'd love a foal, because of some issues with her conformation. She's a nice horse, but not of the quality that should be breeding.

I eat meat, but not much. With ANY kind of meat, if I stop and think what it used to be, then I can't eat anymore (for awhile).
    No, I don't think I could eat horse meat no matter what.

The biggest problem that I have with meat consumption is not so much the eating of cows, pigs, chicken, etc.,
    but rather the way that those animals are treated before they are slaughtered- not to mention some of the ways they are killed.

Lots of cruelity there...........

Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

I was watching the news again last night --- They said how they are looking for more than one source for meat. If they mean dogs, I will start an uproar. I swear to God....Compared to dogs, horses would be nothing for me to eat. But dogs?! Never ever ever...
    I've been BOO'd!

There's also the organic option. Actually, organic cattle farmers in Canada are getting more attention because of the current Mad Cow outbreak here.

There's always another option, it just depends on how much the public will pay for that option.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

find out what makes the cows mad and the whole problem is solved....like, duh!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Originally posted by RICHARD
    find out what makes the cows mad and the whole problem is solved....like, duh!
    that's our Richard!!!

When we had the mad cow disease problem here in the UK people just ate more pork and lamb (they were selling lamb burgers at school etc).

With these alternative sources of red meat - pig and lamb - I don't see a need to eat horse or dog.

Although with the rubbish producers in the US are allowed to put into their animals, things which aren't permitted in the EU, I wouldn't want to eat your other animals/milk either.

Personally I'm a veggie so the outbreak here didn't affect me, that is another option for the Canadians.
    Happy to help

I just heard on the news tonight that they are saying now that certain DOG food is being recalled for mad cow disease.
    Don't know what brands, etc.- just heard a breif blip, not the whole story.