Thread: Whoops, they're back!

Whoops, they're back!

Remember those big red spots on Malone's belly that turned out to be teenage acne?? They're back...and back with a vengeance. We go to the vet tomorrow for a follow up on the lymes vaccine and I'll have them look at it at the same time. I'm also going to inquire about some pills (I believe they are omega 3 fatty acids????) and maybe changing his food to one that may help for skin problems.

Does anyone have experience with on-going skin problems?? Any advice would be appreciated!

Captain had a "skin problem", but not acne. He had an allergy to GRASS!!!!

He had a rash on all "elbows", and on his front paws. I had to give him antibiotics, and wash him 3 times a week with "special - Mummy wore gloves" shampoo.
    IT WORKED - it came back the next year, very minor, washed him again with the medicated shampoo, and "touch wood", has not come back this year.

My Mum's Dog - Pugsley - has a skin condition too. He looses hair in patches (he is a staffy). Mum has herbal shampoo and some medication for him. It comes and goes, but he is OK now. He also had a rash all over his tummy from the same thing ........ but it is much better now too.

Hope Malone grows out of it
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Cincy has ongoing acne. It seems to get better, and then flare up. We give her 3V caps ( Omeg-3, Vitamins A, D & E), plus Biotin ( B supplement that is suppose to help these other vitamins digest better) and Benedryll. We also use an Otameal/Baking Soda/ Aloe Vera shampoo that is suppoed to help sooth the skin. It all seems to help

Max (dachshund) is allergic to dust mites and flea saliva (only my dog could do this). He chews all the time and then gets little red sores. He takes 3-V caps and hydroxyzine - one to condition his skin and one for the itching. He also gets allergy shots on a regular basis. The schedule for taking these varies on the season. I work more on his skin care than I do on my own.

Originally posted by robinh
    I work more on his skin care than I do on my own.
    Oh, boy, do I sympathize! Chester's allergic to about everything, including, grass several trees and shrubs, and pork, chicken, lamb, beef, and turkey! I carry a printed list of the plants he's allergic to whenever we go to the garden center, and I have to read every label on cookies, treats and of, course food.
    And he gets and allergy shot once a month. We also use Relief shampoo and Resi Soothe leave-in conditioner.

So we talked to the vet again today, and they said there really isn't much they can do, but that there are a couple of options. 1. expensive, on-going allergy tests. 2. Treat him with antibiotics everytime he has a flare up. And 3rd, which we are going to try is to treat him with anti-histamines/ special baths/Fatty acids pills etc.etc. Hopefully this will keep him from itching them and making them worse!!!!

Well I hope you can find some inexpensive that works without having to do all the allergy tests. Poor little Malone, give him a hug for me

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Poor Malone. If there is a possibility of allergy, maybe changing his food to one that is made for allergic dogs. When we first got Killian, he had horrible skin and was loosing hair. He was switched to a prescription Fish and Sweet Potato dog food and he did get better. Nowadays, they have that type of food without it being prescription. In fact, Wellness has a Fish and Sweet Potato dog food.

Good luck. I hope you don't have to go through the allergy tests!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

How are Malone's spot doing, any better? I sure hope so!!!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets