Thread: Adding a second dog?

Adding a second dog?

I am the proud Mommy of a 7 month old female black Lab (purebred, in case it matters). I would like to add a second Lab as yet another baby to love and as a playmate for Abby. I'm seriously considering getting a rescue. Does anyone have any ideas on when would be best to do this (after all, I want a playmate for Abby) and whether it would be better to get a male or a female, etc., etc., etc. Thanks a lot for all your help!

I have added second Labs to existing ones. I recommend to wait until your Lab is a bit older, perhaps 2 years old. Since Labs are immature for so long adding a second one now could cause any puppy-ish bad habits of Abby's to influence the new pup.
    If Abby is a dominant female, you might think of getting a male.
    These suggestions come from my experiences.
    Good Luck!

Well, i have 2 puppies that are about 3 months apart, and I have to say that it would have been better to wait. Having said that, I'm glad that Willow (the youngest and newest) is around because they are growing up together. I think it's created a special bond. They're both females, and I like it like that. I just think you should be prepared to handle double the trouble...and if you do, it's worth it.

------------------
    Every problem has a gift for you in its hands.
    -Richard Bach

I did exactly what you are contemplating and actually was glad I did. I am so glad to have gone through the puppy stage all at once. I wanted to have two dogs. Started with an older cocker spaniel and added a six week old golden retriever (female). After the cocker died several months later, we commited to getting a second golden puppy when she turned six weeks old. They have different personalities, but we love them both. I figured if they were going to tear things up as puppies, we might as well get it over with all at once. They are four months apart in age and we love them both! If you have a lot of patience, go for it. They will be best of friends.
    Originally posted by Abby's Mom:
    I am the proud Mommy of a 7 month old female black Lab (purebred, in case it matters). I would like to add a second Lab as yet another baby to love and as a playmate for Abby. I'm seriously considering getting a rescue. Does anyone have any ideas on when would be best to do this (after all, I want a playmate for Abby) and whether it would be better to get a male or a female, etc., etc., etc. Thanks a lot for all your help!