Thread: Max bit Jake

Max bit Jake

Max is the new GSD/Rottie mix I brought home Saturday. Jake is my 7-year-old Sheltie. They've been working at establishing their pecking order. Today I was napping on the couch and Max was sleeping at my feet. Jake was knawing on a rawhide bone.

Max didn't seem to mind Jake having the bone - Jake had been knawing on it for at least 1/2 hour before I went to sleep.

They woke me up fighting - I don't know what about. I yelled "Hey" and they stopped right away. Max settled back by my feet and Jake slunk off to the kitchen.

Jake has a small cut above his eye. His eye's OK and he doesn't need stitches or anything. The vet said to keep an eye on it.

How long will it take before they establish their pecking order and learn to live together peacefully?

Max is not an agressive dog, and neither is Jake. It seems like they both want to be the boss, though.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Well, they'll have to establish their pecking order themselves and the problems *may* escalate if they both want to be top dog. I would definately say no bones for a while and don't leave them alone unsupervised. It sounds like it was more bark than bite which is good. I'm glad they listened to you when you yelled at them. When you bring a new dog home the first 30 days is kind of a "honeymoon" period where the dog is on his best behavior while he figures out the lay of the land. I'd definately be careful with the food and toys in the meantime.
    ~Kat

Goodness. "On his best behavior?" I hope that doesn't mean he's likely to be more aggressive! I'll get rid of the toys for now, and only let them eat while Max is crated. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!