Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heeeeeeeeeere's MAX!

He looks like the sweetest dog Stacey! I hope he has many great years with you and your family.

A word of caution as far as the pulling thing, even on the merry-go-round. Pulling and playing tug can be very hard on the hips, elbows and shoulders of a young dog and can cause problems down the road. I don't let my GSD's overdo anything until their bones are fully developed. Doing high agility jumps before they are 2 isn't recommended either.

I like to take mine swimming. Throwing a ball and frisbee into the water is a lower impact way of excercising them and my dogs can't get enough of the water. Water wears them out fast too!

Most of all just have fun and enjoy his youthful exburance!
    Tracy

Northwest Shepherd Haven

"You become forever responsible for what you have tamed"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
    I want a bike thing (gotta get a bike first)--how much are they anna???
    Are you talking about the bikerdog or a bike J/K!
    When I got mine last year, with S&H it was a total of $55. They even sent it to me first to see how I liked it, then if I did I could send the money (if not I could have sent it back). But of course I loved it! It is well worth every penny I paid for it, because it is Roxey's favorite thing to do Oh, & I wanted to tell you, don't worry about them wrecking you (that was my biggest fear), they can't. Roxey's even seen another dog and tried to pull away, but the only thing that happens is we slow down

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Thanks for the advice, Tracey - by the way, at what age are their bones fully developed? The people at the shelter said Max is 2.

They said he adores swimming, so as soon as the Lake warms up, I'll take him out.

Have you heard how it's going with Axel and his new home?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Congrats on your new addition! He looks sp handsome!! I am sure him and Jake will b best buds soon!

Congrats - he is a beauty!!!!

My Captain pulls too ...... and I have started with the "stopping dead in my tracks", and he comes back and sits next to me.
    Works OK for me - but sometimes, Captain is just plain stubborn ..... and sits ahead of me. So then I turn around and walk the other way.
    Must be a sight for people watching me - going back and forth in the same place whilst trying to get the dog to NOT pull.

Perhaps you could try it where no-one can laugh at you!
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Oh - the neighbors already think I'm nuts, so I won't bother going somewhere else to do it! They watched me teaching jake to walk on a loose lead. I did it the way they teach in the book "Good Owners, Great Dogs" - where you keep constantly changing direction and bumping into the dog until the dog decides you're a complete moron and he'd better keep you in his peripheral vision because you're so unpredictable. It worked, though - it took less than an hour to get Jake trained!

I'm going to try it with Max soon. He's just so big and fast, I had to wait to try it until I got my Gentle Leader (or whatever it's called).

Well - we're starting our 4th day together and everything's still hunky dorey! Max hasn't destroyed a single thing - except perhaps my husband's bamboo plant this morning. He jumped the fence and peed in the bamboo garden, but I don't think that will hurt anything.

It's funny watching jake's behavior now. Jake's 7 years old and has never showed the slightest interest in rawhide chew toys. Now that Max has one, Jake keeps stealing it! He's like a little kid - only wants what the other one has.

We're not having any problem keeping Max exercised either - surprisingly, he and my son have become attached at the hip. Kyler brings Max everywhere he goes, and I practically have to fight him for time with the dog! I don't know how he's going to feel when Max starts travelilng with me.