View Poll Results: What breed of dog is considered most "dangerous"?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Akita Inu

0 0%
  • American Pit Bull Terrier

14 40.00%
  • American Staffordshire Terrier

0 0%
  • Boxer

0 0%
  • Bull Terrier/ Miniature Bull Terrier

0 0%
  • Doberman Pinscher

3 8.57%
  • Presa Canario

2 5.71%
  • Rottweiler

6 17.14%
  • Staffordshire Bull Terrier

0 0%
  • Other

10 28.57%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What breed of dog is considered the most "dangerous"?

Here's Buford with flour all over his face.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~Kat

Too cute

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

AWESOME dogs, Cheshire! I love how they all match. Buford is a really cool name. They all look like they're different sizes of the same breeds. I never realized how much pit bulls and bull mastiffs looked the same.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Thanks! Buford is a mix.....we're not sure what with. Definately bullmastiff, but he's kinda lanky like a pointer. Well, and he really likes to point at the squirrels. Hehe. He might even be part pit bull, who knows. *shrug* I know, we have one of each size.....now we just need a brindle old english mastiff or great dane.
    ~Kat

Personally I think that any dog can be considered dangerous if they are not raised properly! I think the reason that Pits are considered so dangerous is because of their lock jaw thing, at least that's how people make it sound to me that they're scared of them. But, it's not the particular breed, it's all in how they're raised and if the owner trains them properly. Some breeds are harder to do this with, but that shouldn't make them more dangerous, just that the owner needs to realize that and take the responsible action of working with that breeds particular needs!

As for Danes being big but not considered dangerous, of course I have a feeling on this one. All the danes that I've been around are the biggest babies in the world. The only way they'd hurt anything is if their family or somebody they really are close to is threatened by somebody they don't know or if they accidentally knock a child over by being clumbsy and bumping into them! At least that's the temperment of the Danes I've been around! Dakota is the Biggest Baby in the world!

Pit Bulls don't have a lock jaw, that's a myth.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

i heard about that myth too, but its been awhile since i've heard it. i forgot all about it.

LOL Boxers dangerous??

They may look menacing, but they are the silliest and most whimsical dog around! The only threat they would pose is licking you to death, or making you laugh so hard at their playful antics that you have a coronary!

I am glad no one has voted for them as yet! I am of the belief that while some breeds are more susceptible to violent and dangerous behaviours, it is really down to the owners and how they treat and train the dog.

Mum to two little humans, a very vocal 14 year old Ragdoll, and a super energetic and snuggly rescue kitten.

RIP Nibbler, joined the Bridge 12 May 2007.
    RIP Pixel, joined the Bridge 24 November 2017.

Pit Bulls don't have a lock jaw, that's a myth.
    Okay, my bad, I was wrong! I didn't know it was just a myth as I really haven't researched the breed. Still being a myth though, that's what a lot of people think and it seems to be the reason that I've heard a lot of them say they're dangerous, that's all I meant!

I believe that pit bulls have the most capability to be the most dangerous, but that pit bulls aren't dangerous unless they are trained to be or weren't trained at all.

Pit bulls are the only breed of dog who have the capability to move their back jaws back and forth when they are clamped down on something, so they can shred prey without any effort. They have the third strongest jaws on earth, surpassing the once-third strongest, the wolf. Their jaws make an impression of 2500 pounds per square inch. That's like dropping a car on yourself.

I don't believe pit bulls are bad at all, and I know that all dogs have the capability to be dangerous, but I believe that if trained to do so, the pit bull could be the most dangerous breed

Ittybittykitty, lol, boxers are so funny! I have friends who have them, and they make terrible guard dogs even! They have such funny personalities, they are such cuties
    I've been BOO'd!

I think people are also more scared of black dogs. Our Great Dane mix, Gracie, was also 1/4 lab, and was black with a white Taj Mahal on her chest and white toes (with black spots).

When she was a pup, my Dad made the mistake of playing with the leash with her. So she Looooooved "Attack the leash" and whenever we were standing still waiting, a mere flick of the wrist would begin the game. She would growl and snarl and bite at the leash, and have a good old time.

Gracie and I went with my mom to the mall one day, it was going to be a quick trip, so Gracie and I stayed outside the mall, just on the sidewalk. After a little while we got bored, so started playing. Well, it wasn't long before people started to approach, mind you this meant they'd stand 10 feet away and shout "Uh, do you need help?" They completely missed the happily wagging whip-tail, and thought this beast of a black dog was attacking ME!

Far more people were afraid of our black dogs than our tan/brown ones.

Dobes, Rotties - they're big black dogs!

Humans are the most dangerous.

I find that people are afraid of Huney (our chow)

When we went to the pet store the other day, she was just the best doggie, she didn't rush up to people or anything, she just went about her own business (even while we were checking out )
    A couple of people asked if she was a chow, I said yes. But noone wanted to get close to her They even kept their kids at a distance.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Actually, all the hype about pits and their jaws (locking and shredding) are myths borne out of people being stupid and then people just accept it as fact until it becomes such.

Anna, people do the same thing with Vonney since he's a Chow mix and you should see them when we walk in with Serenity.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Wolfsoul,

Why post your opinions as facts ?

Quote: "Pit bulls are the only breed of dog who have the capability to move their back jaws back and forth when they are clamped down on something, so they can shred prey without any effort. They have the third strongest jaws on earth, surpassing the once-third strongest, the wolf. Their jaws make an impression of 2500 pounds per square inch. That's like dropping a car on yourself"

Check out some real facts here;

http://www.realpitbull.com/myths.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Actually I just did research and realized that it was a myth Sorry 'bout that, I don't even know where I got that other info

Why post your opinions as facts ?
    Why wouldn't I??? I'm only stating the fact that a dog that is stronger is more capable of being harmful. I'm not dissing the breed, I truly love pitbulls, I'm just saying, that like a person, a strong one would surpass a weaker one in a physical battle.
    I've been BOO'd!