Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Getting another foster pup tomorrow...

Oh Leslie, wipe those sad tears...as much as your heart is breaking, remember that it's only because of the selfless devotion of people like you and Sue and Angel and countless others that it is possible for beautiful, deserving pups like Jessie to find their forever homes...And yes, please do make sure that you give your name and info. in the unlikely event that Jessie doesn't "go home" tomorrow!! I know that many rescue groups link up the foster home and new adopters in case there are questions.

Leslie, it's no wonder they say that fostering is probably the most difficult job in rescue; you fall in love with your precious charges and it takes the ultimate in selfless love to let them go. Thank you, and thanks to Graham, Kersey, Minion and Dan for being so supportive!! You are ALL angels!! Please let us know how it goes. And if you need to take a break for a while, do that. But I have a feeling you'll be back!!

And Sue, I'm so excited for you!! Your first event with GSD Rescue of Northern Illinois!! Woo hoo!! Please update us when you can, and OF COURSE, hugs and kisses to Killian and Shiloh!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

So, Leslie, what happened???
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

aww she is so cute,
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Thank you all so much. I am so glad to have you all with me as I go through the heartache of letting Jessie go. It was just 8 days but it does not take long for very special pups to find their place in my heart. She had me hooked at day one!

Sadly, I have no idea who Jessie went to. I can only hope that it's a wonderful home where she will be cherished. I asked the MHS to find out anything they could on her adoptive family. The MHS does NOT do home checks, especially at that huge adoption event (the largest adoption event in the U.S.) and they litterly adopt hundreds upon hundreds of dogs, cats, rabbits, and other critters. The fees are the same as if you adopted them from the MHS, but the screening can't be quite as thorough since there are so many animals to adopt out.

With the steep adoption rates, and the adoption screening, I am really trying to think positive about Jessie getting a good home.

I did, however, put my name on a list that requests that I be called if Jessie were to ever come back to the MHS for any reason, even if it were aggression. I told them that I will adopt her if she comes back. Lets hope she does not, though, as much as I love her. If she did, I'd just never be able to live with myself knowing that I let her go in the first place.

I am just so heartbroken still. Her crate is still set up with the chewed up newspaper and the blankets in it. It still hurts and I wonder if I made a mistake in not adopting her. She and I just clicked right away and she loved me as much as I loved her She cried all the way to the MHS when I dropped her off on Sunday. It absolutely broke my heart. The sound that she was making during the trip back to the MHS was the saddest thing I think I have ever heard. I KNEW that she was truly crying, and not just whining. It was a real cry sound. We cried together, let me tell you. We sobbed together

I know that it'll get easier every day, and I trust that God will protect my beautiful friend and make sure she gets a good home. I am certain that was my last foster. I just can't do it any more. Jessie was, I think, my grand finale.

Thanks for the wonderful words, everyone. I truly appreciate it. It's so nice to have all those cyber shoulders to cry on, and have you all understand my pain. Hugs to you all

-Leslie, Graham, Kersey & Minion

I know the feeling. I'm sure the little darling will be well taken care of. The not knowing is hard, though. Fostering is very hard. (I still mourn the passing on to RB of my first foster, Gaylord.) I hear that my other foster Bandit is doing well and being very spoiled.

Sending you big HUGS.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Oh boy there are tears in my eyes as I read your post.
    You truly bonded, and I truly feel that she was a better dog because of it.

If their screening process is so strict, seems like we can be sure that she would have gone to someone special.

We will always be here as shoulders to cry on ......
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Leslie, it looks good for The Jessie Girl. I agree that the high adoption costs & adoption screening & contacts for possible return are the greatest safeguards she has for a wonderful future.

And I know just what you mean when you say that right now you couldn't face doing a foster again. That's exactly what I always feel like, too. But, after a while, it's got thro' to me...that there always was a wonderful future waiting for my little furry foster Tibetan Spaniels. And if I hadn't been part of the rescue, they would've had no future at all.

So now I keep saying to myself...'Little foster Tibbie, there's a wonderful life waiting for you out there. We just can't see it yet.'

But the feelings of anxiety & grief when each Tib departs can never be stilled. And I find the greatest comfort comes from my fellow rescuers just being there for me. We have an email list called OzDogRescue where dog rescuers from all around australia talk with each & support each other. Couldn't do without it!

Thinking of you, Leslie....& feeling along with you at this time.
    Marie

Leslie, I feel the pain in your words and it has settled in my heart.

Please God, protect little Jessie and let her find the bliss of a loyal, caring, devoted, forever family and a long and healthy life. Leslie wants the very best for her.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

How ya doin today, Leslie? Better I hope.

With my last foster, Bandit, my family really wanted us to keep him. He was such a fun dog, gorgeous and active, too. However, Shiloh decided she did not want to keep him, so that was that. We always think of him, though, especially when we see a dark-faced GSD. sigh I personally fell in love with Gaylord (and I told him that every chance I got), but God wanted him more...

As I think more about it, it seems that maybe we don't completely get over giving up the dogs that really aren't ours to keep. They all take a little of our hearts with them. But if we don't do it, they can't be saved, can they? As I said before, fostering is hard.

{{{HUGS}}}
    Last edited by Sudilar; 05-06-2003 at 09:59 AM.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

I'm so sorry that you had to let this precious girl go! I balled just reading your post! Good luck with finding out what happened to her and I hope from the bottom of my heart that she went to a loving, caring family just like one of us on here!

I truly hope that sweet Jessie got a wonderful family. She sure sounds like an incredible dog. Only time will heal your sadness, but at least you did get to know her, and have an impact on her life, if only for a short time!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I am sitting here with tears running down my face right now. I can feel your pain. I am sorry you have to go through that but I am so thankful you were available to help save the life of such a precious dog. You're in my prayers.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Leslie, I hope you are feeling better today. I know, too well, the feeling that you are experiencing. Remember, I went through it terribly with Splash last summer.

And I have posted today that we will take in another foster or two, if needed, because of a dire situation that has occured in NC (separate post, here in Dog Rescue). I hope my heart, my children, my husband, my dogs and cats can handle it!!! We just do what we have to, to help all of them. And we cry lots of tears when they leave us. At least with a "breed" type rescue, you can be a part of the decision as to where they end up. Maybe you can foster again. Give it some time. Those dogs certainly benefit from being under your care. And they are much better suited for their future homes as a result.