Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: chylothorax??

Hybrid View

chylothorax??

hi everyone,

i'm new, and wondering if anyone has had any experience with chylothorax?
    my 2 yr old cat was diagnosed with this recently, and i want to know what i might expect.

from what i do know, it is a build up of fluid-"chyme" in the pleural cavity in the lungs. if the pleural sac is too full of fluid- he can't take a breath, and can end up dying from it. or it can just go away.
    when he was first diagnosed- we thought he had asthma, so the vet wanted to take an xray to make sure...his lungs were barely visable ther was so much fluid there...they tapped his lungs, and got 300cc's of fluid! (more than a soda can). i dunno how he made it that long!

he coughs a lot. i listen to his lungs everyday. i find myself sleeping with one eye open, worrying with every move he makes, but knowing i can't do anything to help him. he does take medicine, but the vet said most don't really respond to it.

i know clinically what this illness means, but i'd love to hear from someone who might know from personal experience.
    i appreciate any stories, coping skills, advice...whatever. i'm feeling a bit helpless.

thanks in advance!
    ozzlou

Welcome to PT. We all care about each other here. Nomilynn can give you some great advice as her kitty Bassett has the same thing I think. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

So can Catnclay. She had a topic in the Cat - General, I believe, on this. Good luck!

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...ight=catsnclay
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

hi,
    thanks for showing me that thread-
    i read the whole thing- sounds familiar.

i'm eager to exchange stories...

take care-
    ozzlou

Hi

Yes, my kitty Bassett has chylothorax. The fluid is actually called chyle, and it's a fatty fluid that is usally contained in the thorasic duct. In the link already posted, I provided all the links to Bassett's continuing story. Bassett is responding beautifully with the meds.

If you want to chat, PM me. If you have MSN, ICQ or AIM I can add you to my lists, too

Hi Ozzlou!
    Wow, I just went through this with Lucky! It is very frightening and I just had to chuckle on your post. I too slept with one eye open for a month, checked his breathing every five minutes.....glad to hear someone else is just like me!

Nomilynn was such a BIG help, she went through it with her Bassett eairler this year. Between the 2 of us we will get you through this.

Lucky has been on: Furosemide, Baytril and Rutin. From what I understand he will be on the Rutin for the rest of his life.

You can also reach me through a Personal Message or if you check under my profile, my e-mail.

Good luck, and we are here for you!
    Last edited by Catsnclay; 04-24-2003 at 02:17 PM.
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Wow, I can't believe another kitty has this! Seems really rare, and now we have 3 cases here on PT!

Welcome to PT, Ozzlou. I know you'll get a lot of good information from Nomilyn and Catsnclay.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

thanks for the welcome...
    ozzy and i are on our way to the vet, to see if he needs to be tapped. i hate to do this to him...
    i hate this.
    ozzlou

Originally posted by ozzlou
    thanks for the welcome...
    ozzy and i are on our way to the vet, to see if he needs to be tapped. i hate to do this to him...
    i hate this.
    ozzlou
    Oh no!!!! I hope everything is ok!

Uh oh.......keep us posted!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Waiting to hear some good news.....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

and we're back...

the vet is right up the street...
    she tapped ozzy for 90cc's. he was having a lot of coughing spells that i didn't like the sound of...
    i love my vet- she's as frustrated as i am.

so, we're ok for now...in fact he should feel a bit better, being able to breathe easier and all.

take care
    ozzlou

Great news. Let's hope it stays that way.
    --unknown

--Polar Express

amen, slick!!!!

ozzlou & ozzy

Well good news on my end, and hopefully for you too. Lucky is doing just fine, according to the vet!

There is still a tiny bit of fluid, but nothing to worry about at this time. He still has to stay on his Rutin and now a different diuretic, but other than that he doesn't need to bee seen for 6 months!!

Ozzlou, if you want my vet's e-mail for your vet, just PM me and let me know. Maybe if they communicate they can come up with a solution for Ozzy.
    Bunny & Kitties: