Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dog

New dog

I will soon be adopting a puppy. I dont know what kind of dog to get. I dont want a small one or a real big one. Can someone give me a few pointers on which type of breed I should get. I have never had a dog before but I got my resource on how to take care of them. I want a friendly puppy to get used to the two cats I already have.
    ~*~*~*MARY*~*~*~

I think we need a bit more information about you Like, are you out alot? Do you take regular walks? Are you alright with a dog that sheds alot?

If this is your first dog, I would reccommend the dogs on the easiest-to-train list. I can't remember exactly the order, but I remember that in first was the border collie, then the standard poodle and then the german shepherd. Some of the other dogs on the list were the labrador retriever, the golden retriever, and the australian cattle dog.

I wouldn't recommend any of the more independant breeds for a first time dog. They tend to be more obstinate. I know that some of those are the siberian husky, alaskan malamute, and other dogs that were bred for sledding. They also have high prey drives, so having them with cats may not be the best idea, unless they are possibly raised with them. But after some experience, these do make wonderful dogs

So can you maybe say a bit more about yourself, so we can make a personality assessment and then possibly match you up?
    I've been BOO'd!

me

Well, I am getting the dog at the beginning of summer so I will be home all for those 2 monthes we have the puppy. I take one walk aday. I am okay with a dog that sheds alot because, TRUST ME, my cats shed ALOT!!! I was thinking of either getting a lab or a husky or just maybe a rescue dog.
    ~*~*~*MARY*~*~*~

I like the idea of a rescue dog Alot of people here would probably agree with me that a husky might not be a good choice for someone who isn't as experienced, they are good and stubborn A lab sounds great though..You may even find one in a shelter. I'll do a search for you
    I've been BOO'd!

all the lab and lab crosses I can find in NY are here

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi
    I've been BOO'd!

Good for you that you are planning on rescuing! I am not sure what to recommend. Collies and GSD's make great pets. There are so many I can name! Sometimes it is best to go to a shelter and see which dog just seems right for you. Or you might be like me, who was also a first time dog owner, and make sure you get the right breed for you.

When I was searching for a dog breed, I took this quiz at Animal Planet. It gave me an idea on what kind of dogs to look for. You can check it out here.

There are others if you want to double check. Good luck and keep us updated!

- don't forget about mixes Petfinder.org is great too. -

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

"Shoot for the moon because even if you miss, you will still land among the stars."
    I think a Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever would be a good idea. There are a few in rescue off the internet. they are smart, medium sized, Usually the perfect size for most/some homes and they don't shed a lot. they are easy to train and mine does not bark. the only time he does is if he does not like someone which is very rarely.
    [color=royal blue]LOVING MOMMY TO MY FUR BABY, RUSTY![/COLOR]

THANX SOOOO MUCH TO POPCORNBIRD FOR THE GREAT SIG!!!!
    DOGLOVRFOREVR

Welllllllllllll Doneeeeeee for takeing a pup in

Mommy of -
    Indy - Black Labrador
    Disney- Norwegian wild forest cat
    Mommy in Heaven of -
    Ruby Bear - Black Lab
    Chip - Hamster
    Was Mommy of -
    Sally - Border Collie

www.labbies.com/instinctbites40jpg

I like the thread that primabella sent you is great!!!...or just go to petfinder.org...there is also a quiz there....though everyone has mentioned Wonderful dogs....I personally don't see one of those breeds being Happy and Healthy in N.Y.C.
    also,remember...though you have the summer off...which is Great for puppy bonding...what have you planned to do after that?????
    Puppyhood lasts a LOT longer than 2 months....The bigger the breed,the longer it lasts!!!!

There is also a great rescue organization in N.Y.
    You can go to their site and get info....

nsal.org
    they will help you find the right mix for your lifestyle...!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!
    Let us know how it all works out
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

choices

Thank you for the quiz, it was very helpful. I ended up with a choice between a english cocker spaniel or a english springer spaniel!!! They are both so cute. I cant decide....
    ~*~*~*MARY*~*~*~

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    Good for you for getting a dog. I however wouldn't recommend getting a border collie or a NSDTR. Yes borders are smart and easy to train but they are very active dogs that need a lot of time devoted to them, the same goes for the duck tolliers. Also both breeds have a tendency to be soft and don't take to corrections very well.

Actually for a first dog it's most likley best to stay away from any and all herding breeds especially if you would only be able to take one walk a day.

I would suggest going for something small or a mix breed, my first dog was a mixed breed and he's an awesome dog.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

Hi Crikit!

Totally agree with you about Border Collies. My Aunt and Uncle
    got a border collie for the family dog and realized shortily
    thereafter, what a mistake they made. My Uncle would bike
    approx. 2 hours a day with the dog and that wasn't enough
    to tire the dog out.

On the comment about staying away from all herding breeds
    as first dogs though, IMO Collies do make good first time dogs,
    especially the smooths, because you don't have huge grooming
    requirements, like with the roughs. They're easy to train and
    unlike some of the other herding breeds they don't have that
    overwhelming working intensity. They seem to adapt their activity
    level to the situation. So if I need Oz to hike with me for 2 hours,
    he's good to go, but if I need for him to lay down and be calm
    while I watch TV, he'll happily do that too. He does have a fenced
    in yard to just go outside and full out run when he needs to burn
    off some energy, so I'm sure that helps. They've got a friendly,
    gentle nature, so they're great with kids, other dogs and other
    pets.

Okay had to get my lil' plug in for Collies..

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I say Cocker Spaniels, either English or American, or a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever.

I would say toller if you want a medium-sized dog, cocker if you want a small one, and springer if you want a big one. My toller doesn't shed very much, if you want to know.
    TOLLERSFOREVER

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    Your right Par...I wasn't fully awake when I wrote that this morning. Collies are good dogs, for the right person.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!