Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what is w/ people and vets

With the exception of dogs, I don't think its neccessary for other pets to go to the vet EVERY year for a check up unless its neccessary. I do take my birds to the vet, but not often. Only when I feel its neccessary. They have an excellent avian vet who mainly treats pet birds and he really knows what he's doing. He is VERY gentle and kind with them. When I am concerned about something, I prefer to call the vet first before rushing there. I myself haven't been to the doctor since I was like 8 or 9, but I care about my pets more than myself. When they have to go, they have to go. I just don't like taking them to the vet ALL the time like some people, for every little thing. Only when they need to go. Animals, like humans deserve medical care when needed. It just shouldn't be over-done.

This thread makes me so sad!

A new puppy should be taken to a veterinarian soon after adoption for a thorough physical examination and to ensure that it is current on vaccinations. All puppies need a series of immunizations to protect them against distemper, a viral disease that causes respiratory symptoms and can affect the nervous system; leptospirosis, a bacterial disease that damages the liver; hepatitis, a viral disease that also targets the liver; parvovirus, which harms the intestinal tract; and parainfluenza, which causes respiratory problems. Immunizations for these five diseases are usually administered in one vaccination. Dogs also need rabies shots to protect them from this virus, which is transmitted in the saliva by the bite of an infected animal and attacks the nervous system. Some owners opt for additional vaccinations against Lyme disease, a bacterial infection that is transmitted by parasitic deer ticks; kennel cough, a respiratory disease caused by the bordatella bacteria; and coronavirus, which targets the intestinal tract.
    Vaccines for Dogs
    Another good site which you should read
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by cali

and aly happy is still not over that rabies shot, she is getting better but she got that shot 3 years ago now. and yes it was just one minut she is happy go lucky lovin everyone and everything type of dag she gets her Rabies shot and bang she is a different dog. and by the way happys reaction is not that uncommen.
    How old was Happy when she received the Rabies vaccine? No offense, but I have a really hard time believing that one shot could cause that. You say it's "not that uncommon"...I'd like to hear some research on this, as I've never heard of that happening.

Originally posted by cali
    and no flea or tick preventions or heartworm, we dont need it. kibble fed dogs need it BARF fed do not.
    I'm also curious on how feeding a BARF diet can prevent heartworms....which are transfered by mosquitos.

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    This thread makes me so sad!
    Me too If my pets showed the slightest bit of illness I'm on the phone w/ my vet. They work wonders! My past dog had cancer and I cannot imagine just letting her sit there and die without any professional help!!

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

yes you have that obligation to do whats right for your pets and I hope every one here does it for theirs.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

This is a sad post - animals not going to the doctor - people not going to the doctor

what could happen if you bring them to the vet? i dont see why not. if they had some illness you couldnt see, you might even save there lives!

With the exception of dogs, I don't think its neccessary for other pets to go to the vet EVERY year for a check up unless its neccessary.
    popcornbird, don't forget about kitty cats! they need yearly vet visits!

Ihave been surprised at what I have found out on my annual visits with my herps/small animals. My rabbit had a mass remved that I hadn't known about because my VET found it. It was cancerous, but because we caught it so early it didn't spread. I was also able to treat a lizard for coccidia because of my annual vet visit. Had I waited until symptoms had manifested, it would most likely have been too late.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I believe that every pet has the right to be taken to a vet. Sometimes it's not needed, and that's fine, but it's nice to get a checkup every once in a while. Even if my pet isn't sick, it's nice to take it to the vet and get compliments on how well it's been taken care of
    I've been BOO'd!

That's always good too! I took my mousie Jess to the vet because I thought he might be losig some fur around his eyes. The vet said he looked good and gushed about how Jess had the healthiest looking coat he had ever seen on a mouse! I felt sooo good!

Thank you Wolf_Q!