Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dog wanted!

Dog wanted!

I am looking for a big (German Shepherd size or bigger), adult (4 years or older), laid-back, calm, well-socialized dog who is safe with adults, children, infants, and the family dog and cat. The ideal dog could protect the family if necessary - but only if necessary! No attacking the daughter's boyfriend!

The dog would be loved dearly and kept indoors except when out on walks or when going to the bathroom. He/she would go with me wherever I go (so it would be great if he/she loved car rides!) The dog would never be allowed outdoors off leash unless he/she was in the fenced-in area of the yard.

I'd like a dog who's not too energetic but who could keep up with me on leisurely hiking, camping, and fishing trips.

I don't care what breed it is, as long as it looks at least a little intimidating.

If I can locate such a dog I'm willing to pay to have it transported to me in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. I'd like to have the opportunity to evaluate the dog for a few months and if it didn't work out I'd pay to have it sent back or put in rescue.

If anybody on this board knows of such a rare jewel of a dog, please respond here or email me at [email protected]. Thank you!!!!!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Thanks, Kater. I've been on petfinder, and I've emailed every single volunteer with a dog who even looks like it might have potential! Hopefully I'll find the perfect dog.

You know - it's really hard to find such a dog. The kind of people who raise such a great dog rarely give it up - I think the only way one would become available is if something happened to its owner.

But I'm willing to wait and search diligently! Maybe somebody on this forum knows of just the right dog.

I don't know if you are willing to come to Ohio, and this dog is a little younger then you specified, but I've talked previously, with Lattie's foster mom and from I have heard she is a wonderful laidback dog.

LATTIE
    Dog
    White German Shepherd Mix

Size: Large
    Sex: Female
    I.D: LATTIE

Notes: Meet Lattie, around 2 years old, rescued from Fulton Co. Dog Pound. Lattie has adjusted to her foster home very well. She is fine with other dogs& children. She will chase the cat but would never hurt him! Play ball with you child! She is housebroken & is an extreme couch potato! She loves to carry a toy around in her mouth 24 hrs. a day!Lattie is very much a house dog. She does her business and is right back at the door. She will require a fenced in yard as she has ran away a couple times. Please email to meet, sponsor or adopt.
    Email Foster mom at: Wendy

This pet is: up to date with routine shots, already house trained, altered

Animal House Rescue
    Wauseon, OH
    419-335-0773
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Lattie is beautiful. She does look a little on the small side, though. Perhaps it is just the picture? Could you tell me more about her?

Unfortunatly, I do not have any more inof about her. Iwas at an adoption event about a month or six weeks ago, considering getting a dal mix puppy they had. Lattie's foster mom's daughter (who I would guess was about 12-14) told me if I wanted a really good, Laid-back dog, I should think about Lattie. She said she was a great dog, but not many people wanted a big dog, that old ( I hardly Consider 2 old!) I would email either her foster mom or the resuce group...they have always been very good about responding quickly.

Let me know what you find out!!!

Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it - I will emial her foster mom. I guess she must be big if people don't want her because she's "so big"!

I hope Sue (Sudilar) sees this. She'll probably know of some that are up in your direction!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Sue (Sudilar) if you see this the key words are "BIG", "OLD" and "LAID-BACK" and "Good with kids, dogs, cats"! I hope you can help me!

The ideal dog would be a big scary-looking sweet-tempered dog (like a bull-mastiff or Great Dane or big German Shepherd) who wouldn't actually hurt a flea! In addition to being my constant companion, the dog would travel with me when I go on assignments, where I'm often alone and would feel more comfortable with a scary-looking dog.

I'm not the sort of perseon who could actually handle a young, strong-willed dog. That's why I want an older one who has mellowed out a little.

I hope I'm not being too picky or asking too much - but I know if I get the word out to enough people I'll find the perfect dog!

I'll PM her. I am almost certain she can help out with what you're looking for!
    Alyson

Hi!
    Right now I'm a volunteer in a new, just starting out rescue, so all we have at the moment is a 9 yr. old female GSD.

However, there was a dog on this bb pulled from animal control (that was to be sent to research) by a rescuer from Michigan. Her name is Tracy from Northwest Shepherd Haven. I don't think the dog she pulled in particular will fill your needs, but I'm sure she has many more that need homes. Her web site is http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/nshh.html

I will e-mail her with your needs and hopefully she can help you.

The rescue I was a foster for is www.gsdrescue1.org I do not know if they will adopt out of state, though. You can look at their site and if you see someone there, you could e-mail Marianne with an inquiry. Her e-mail is on the contacts page as coordinator.

Good luck!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Hello,
    I'm the Tracy that Sue was refering to and this is Axel the dog I just pulled from the pound. They told me that he was only 1 but when I took him in to get his rabies and heartworm check I found out he is really 4. He is also neutered.

He weighed 101 lbs and the vet said he was at a good weight for his size. He does have an ear infection that he is on antibiotics for and his coat and skin are poor so we're also working on that.

He is very sweet and gets along great with my dogs. I don't have cats but he is a very low drive dog and I don't think they'd be a problem. Haven't had him around children as of yet. I took him for a walk today and he totally ignored cars and people out in the street. Oh and he LOVES to ride in cars. Just lays in the backseat with his head on my arm looking out the window. I don't see any aggression in him at all. He is still a little wacked out just from being in the pound for 22 days. He hates to be crated and that would be the only major problem I've seen so far. Could be temporary or may not be. I've used a Kong stuffed with peanut butter to get him more comfortable in a crate and it's starting to work a bit.

You can email me if you'd like more information. I would like to try to avoid any kind of trial period with this boy if possible. He's been through a very hard time already and I hate too move him too much.

Awww, this looks so promising. What a sweetie he is.

Thanks Sue and thanks Tracy for coming and posting this info! I hope this works out!
    Alyson

Thank you, Tracy, for your prompt response!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Not a problem...I really needed to join another BB anyway .

Sue I don't remember what state you're in now but do you ever glance at the Petfinder classifieds? There is someone trying to dump a 10 year old WGSD somewhere here in MI. Do you know anyone else in the area that would have room right now?
    Tracy

Northwest Shepherd Haven

"You become forever responsible for what you have tamed"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery