Thread: Seizures

Seizures

Have anyone here had a dog who took those seizures.It's sad when its happening.I had a dog who took them and it took his life,he was on meds for it too.Last 3 seizures done him in,afterwards didn't know who I was,he couldn't breathe and was bleeding,and did something to his back legs. Saddest day of my life when he died.I miss him terribly.

My friend's dog has epilepsy...the first time I saw her have a siezure I cried. I thought she was choking, because she had just had chicken, but it was the grease in the chicken that actually triggered her attack. She's still alive, and feeling great though!
    I've been BOO'd!

Sorry to hear about your pooch. I have a cat that has seizures and he has to be on phenobarb for them because he has status epilepticus which means when he goes into a seizure if he doesn't get injectible meds, he'll seize until he dies. He's done very well on his meds, we get his phenobarb level tested three times a year and he hasn't had a seizure in over 3 years.
    ~Kat

CheshireKatt, my friend's cat has to take shots too. Only he has diabetes, and needs them for insulin. I would never be able to deal with giving shots everyday, so I find that people who can are very admirable
    I've been BOO'd!

wolfsoul,
    For maintenance we give Elvis phenobarb in pill form. It's only when he actually goes into a seizure that he needs it in injectible form. It's a controlled narcotic so I don't think they'd let me have any liquid stuff!
    ~Kat

Mine was on phenobarbital had to give him 2 pills 12 hrs.apart and had his blood tken for levels, He was a big dog 138lbs, when first taken them I cut down on food and walked him alot.when he died he was 119lbs.