Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: parents

parents

I thought this thread could be about our parents, I don't know if eldery is the right word, I guess I still have trouble thinking of my mother that way, she will be 70 in Sept. which is not that old.
    anyway, I worry about her at times, as I'm sure alot of you do about your parents. maybe we can share things in this thread?

Please, let this thread be just for members with older or sick parents ok? not trying to exclude the younger members...

this morning my mother called me, and said, something is wrong with her, she is having trouble walking...
    I said then you need to go to the dr!
    she said well shes going to have her breakfast and then see how she is feeling. said she can't go to the dr every minute! (hardly goes every minute)
    anyway now I guess she is ok. she does this to me at times!
    I never know what to think !

My parents are 75 and 84 and my dad is not in good health. I worry about him all the time. My mom is very active, but still has health issues, so I can definitely relate.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

My parents both turned 80 last month. My mom is sick since I was a kid. She has Multiple Sclerosis and is totally depending on my dad, even for eating. Here is a picture of my dad & mom, taken during their 80-celebration-dinner ! They are a great couple!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Positive thoughts and wishing the best for everyone's elderly parents. May they be with you for many more years.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

My Mom passed away April 12, 1996 at the age of 56 of lung cancer. My dad is 75, good health and just recently retired from working FULL time. But I do worry about the day that he might be ill. But for now, he still can carry the 50 pound bags of goat feed to the barn and goes to the gym 3 days a week. (more than I do)

Charlie's parents are both deceased.

Lut, your father bears a striking resemblence to Charlie's dad.

As I type this post I am in the 'family room' (a room for guests that has a tv, vcr and computer for e mails) at St. Charles Hospital, in Bend Oregon. I live in Seattle. On March 18 my Mom was admited here for cancer surgery. They could not do it here because of her heart and lung problems (she would want me to say she has never smoked or drank!). They transfered her to Portland Oregon, 3 hours away. I met them (her, my Dad and her sister who lives in Portland), on the 19th. The surgery was the 20th. They said they got 99% of it but would need chemo to take care of the cancer that had spread outside of the area. She was realeased last Saturday and we made the long drive, which lasted 6 hrs., with all the stops, back to Bend. On Tuesday she was readmited to St. Charles, for fluids collecting. It is now Friday again. The oncolagist (sp) said he could maybe take care of the cancer, but her heart and lungs are not in good enough shape right now to do the chemo. And they may never be. So we are stuck on hold. Maybe in another week they will try. We are just going day by day, sometimes, hour by hour.
    She is 77, my Dad is 79. They have been married 57 years. They met April 1st, 58 years ago. It goes without saying that they are the life blood for one another.
    Our prayers and thoughts are with all the parents, young and old.
    Katz

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

My mom is 82, my dad is 87. They live 500 km away from here. Until my dad was 75 he used to play soccer with some guys of his age. Until he was 85 he still played tennis (with 3 other friends). Ball games were his live. Then when some of the others started to be too old he has stopped too and has become very old since then because he sits in front of TV all the time watching -guess- soccer and tennis.

My mom still moves a lot. She goes for a walk with their dachshund Amber every day. Their house is close to the forest and there is a fenced-in part of the forest -so Amber can run as much as she wants. My mom is also very clever in her head and you'd never guess from the phone she's that old. When you look at her however she is very frail and has a heart condition.

I am very scared of what happens when either of them passes away. In the last years the one or the other had to go to hospital for some minor stuff and the other cannot sleep whan they're not together.

Katz
    sorry to hear about your mother! I hope she pulls thru this.
    you, and her, are in my prayers!

my mother just called me, seems I did not call her this afternoon, so I "do not care if she is alive or dead!"
    I thought she said she was feeling better. she says she did not say that. she said she told me she still felt terrible...
    needless to say my name is mud as usual.

Chinadoll
    that was a very nice post!

my dad passed away, will be 10 years ago this August. he needed a heart transplant...he was only 59.

I miss him alot, seems like I have been thinking of him even more than usual, lately. he really was such a wonderful person, the best dad!

Lut, your parents look good! what a great couple!
    Last edited by marysmerrycats; 04-04-2003 at 09:38 PM.

My mother died 3 1/2 years ago at the age of 73 from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. Dad is alive and well, being taken care of by one St. Bernard, and taking care of a meriad of other neighbors, friends and all of us.

Mark's parents are the dearest & sweetest people, and the best in-laws I could ever have asked for. Mom was diagnosed with multiple myloma (bone cancer) back in '99. It's been a roller coaster, and at sometimes overwhelming to deal with. But she is doing OK (pain-wise) now having recently had a procedure done called kyphoplasty (sp?) Basically 2 or 3 of her vertebrate have collapsed, and they inserted a glue to give stability. This doesn't stop the cancer at all, but it brings relief from the pain.

My dad died when i was just 7 yrs. old.... liver problems its so sad to think that he wouldn't be able to see me graduate from university or get married.....
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

Just after I posted on here yesterday, my dad called and was near hysterical because my mom had fallen down a couple of stairs and they had to call the ambulance. Mike and I immediately got up, got ready and put the dogs in their rooms and headed over to pick up my dad. When we got to the hospital, they had already taken Mom into X-ray. The X-rays showed nothing, but she was in an enormous amount of pain. She requested pain meds, but they had to wait for the doctor's order for it and he said not to give it to her until she stood up and walked (what a silly man!). She couldn't do it, so they ordered and MRI, which showed a TINY fracture in #1L vertebrae in her back, so they kept her overnight and are fitting her with a backbrace today. When I talked to her a little bit ago she was not feeling too chipper, but, they had at least taken the measurements for the brace. She will have to wear it for 8-12 weeks. Now, leave it to my mother to fight with the doctor, but when I told the doctor that their washer and dryer were downstairs, and he said that she would need help with it, she came back with, "But, I just scoot it across the floor and then lift it up stair by stair." The doctor laughed and told her that she WOULD be getting help with laundry. That's my mom!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

cookiebaker and mugsy
    Im sorry to hear about your mothers.

I talked to my mom this morning and now she is just fine. so once again yesterday was nothing, and she gets mad if I say she still needs to find out what causes it, to go to the dr. Im so mad at her now I don't even want to talk to her. am I over reacting? she calls and says she is sick etc etc then its fine??? she makes me worry then its just fine!

I need a looong vacation

My mom died back in 1973 of lung cancer that spread to her brain. She was 44 years old. She smoked like a steam engine

My dad passed away 6 years ago this coming August of a massive heart attack at the age of 69.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!