Thread: Call to prayer revived by troops

Call to prayer revived by troops

For me, this is one small bright light, something good beginning, in the midst of the war.
    I have cut and pasted this from BBC online, but here is the direct link in case anyone would prefer to read it direct off site
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/2918453.stm

Call to prayer revived by troops
    By Sarah Oliver
    In southern Iraq

It is a sound which has echoed down the centuries but which has not been heard here for 15 years - the wailing call to prayer. On Friday however, at 0430 (0130 GMT), in the minutes before the desert dawn, the voice of the Imam rang out. What Saddam's Baath party had forbidden, the British Army had restored. The townspeople, whose mosque was destroyed years ago, prayed in the privacy of their own homes. Friday prayer is an important occasion for Muslims. But instead of their worship being a secret and dangerous thing, it was freely performed with new joy.
    The 1st Battalion Royal Irish secured a public address system for the Imam and men from their attached Royal, Electrical and Mechanical Engineers installed it on Thursday night in time for Friday prayers.
    'Top priority'
    By next Friday, commanding officer Lt Colonel Tim Collins hopes to have a prayer tent in place so the community can gather for the traditional midday address. He said: "Banning prayer and denying Muslim people a mosque is simply one more manifestation of the Baath party's evil regime. From the moment we began our hearts and minds campaign here its restoration was a top priority. From now they will have their call to prayer five times a day - it will no longer be conducted behind closed doors, it will be done openly, as it should be."
    Although the Imam was permitted to offer pastoral care, he was not allowed to fulfil his role as their religious leader, leaving the population of 4,000 struggling with the secular ideals of Baath. On Friday, as dozens of townspeople thronged the alleyway at the back of his shabby terraced home, it was clear they had not forgotten their God.

The return of the call to prayer is perhaps the most significant sign yet that the shanty communities inhabiting the wealthy oilfields of southern Iraq are recovering their equilibrium under occupation by the British Army. Another is the re-opening of the barber's shop where many officers from the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment are paying 250 dinars (10p) for a trim, which is finished with a cut-throat razor. The primary and secondary schools with 40 and 20 pupils apiece, have also opened their doors. They are flying the Iraqi flag as a symbol of national identity but all pro-Saddam slogans have been painted out by local townspeople and Baath propaganda stripped from the classrooms. (A new football pitch, volleyball court and schoolyard are to be built for the children by the 1st Royal Irish.) And although none of the food shops has reopened - the traders are trapped in the southern city of Basra - nomadic tomato and onion sellers have returned to the marketplace and flatbreads are being baked.

British troops are banned from spending pounds sterling or US dollars as commanders are determined the local economy should not be undermined by hard currency trading.
    They have bankrolled the town's first ever bank with £1,000 worth of dinars confiscated from the Baath Party. It is being used to pay the wages of municipal employees such as teachers and security staff and fund the town clinic which has been re-opened by a fourth year medical student after the doctor fled in the face of the Allied advance. Next the Army will attempt to conduct a census on the main community which is dominated by oil industry workers, and its attached, much poorer and more rural village where railway workers - nicknamed the Ali Babars by townspeople - live.
    'Enabling'
    Law and order has been restored by the arrival of British Military Police and a regional government created by the formation of a Joint Civil-Military Commission, headed by Royal Irish second in command Major Andrew Cullen. He said: "The influence of Baath was so great that it had filtered down to the lowest level of society and since we have destroyed Baath we must now help them build a new framework. "We can't play god and enforce our own societal values on people, we need to enable them."
    As well as helping with water and power, attached engineers are assisting with carpentry or plumbing. They hope that soon residents will be self-sufficient. The ambition of the townspeople and the Royal Irish is to see the oilfields re-opened and jobs restored. With the oil will come wealth and with the wealth will come security and stability. "We are here to see that happens," said Major Cullen.

This is pooled copy from Sarah Oliver of the Mail On Sunday, with the 1st Battalion Royal Irish Regiment in southern Iraq.

How cool is that!? Thanks for sharing that Chris. I'm so happy that the people of Iraq are going to be able to live their lives freely once this is all over. I commend the British troops and all of the Coalition for the good they have done already.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Nice to read some positive news, the British have had a tough time, but they are doing a wonderful job, we pray for their safety and safe return home just as we do the Americans.
    Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

ChrisH,

Thank you for posting a heart warm, feel good story.

----<---<--<{(@

Chris, thank you so much for sharing this story with us. Let's pray that we hear more of these stories, one town at a time.........and that Iraq is returned to its people so they are free to live and worship without fear in their hearts.

Americans are and always will be - eternally grateful to the Brits!

orginally posted by gini......Americans are and always will be - eternally grateful to the Brits
    How very true!! We will never forget your friendship, your dedication and your sacrifice. Reading this gave me goosebumps. Hopefully, little by little, the rest of the citizens of Iraq will be free to live their lives as they should be; without fear. Thanks Chris!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Originally posted by gini
    Chris, thank you so much for sharing this story with us. Let's pray that we hear more of these stories, one town at a time.........and that Iraq is returned to its people so they are free to live and worship without fear in their hearts.
    Amen to that gini
    Americans are and always will be - eternally grateful to the Brits!
    Please bear with me here because I am not very good at expressing what I mean....I believe that we, Brits and Americans, are in this for the same reasons, right? I also know that Britain does not have the resources to have done anything alone...oh, heck, I think I mean that we are in this together, that we rely on and are grateful to each other. How does the line in the U2 song go,
    .......we are one, but we`re not the same, we get to carry each other.....
    something along those lines is what I mean anyway.

Chris

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing it with us!