Thread: power tool questions

power tool questions

since i bought the house last spring, i've been itching to do some remodeling. i am interested in getting a portable/collapsable work table for cutting boards, a hand sander for refinishing furniture and a circular saw to cut those boards. does anyone have advice for me?
    my first planned project is hanging blinds in the kitchen window and making a decorative cornice to cover the blind headers(the attachment area.) with a top board so i can place my small collection of decorative tins.
    i do wish to keep my fingers . thanks, joyce
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Re: power tool questions

Originally posted by joycenalex
    since i bought the house last spring, i've been itching to do some remodeling. i am interested in getting a portable/collapsable work table for cutting boards, a hand sander for refinishing furniture and a circular saw to cut those boards. does anyone have advice for me?
    my first planned project is hanging blinds in the kitchen window and making a decorative cornice to cover the blind headers(the attachment area.) with a top board so i can place my small collection of decorative tins.
    i do wish to keep my fingers . thanks, joyce
    first,

do not sand your hands

black and decker make a great take down work bench..you can clamp and hold a bunch of stuff up with it.

Makita make a great set of battery operated/interchangable
    tools, you can buy a sander/drill/circ saw set...with a charger..

my thoughts about power tools is this...
    if you know you are going to use a tool again and again, pay the extra money, get a nice tool set(s), if not, do not spend the money, Sears/craftsman tools are cheap and will last for years
    plus they have a lifetime warranty.

for decorative cuts you can go two ways.
    a jigsaw or router.......routers take a bit of skill to use, jigsaws are
    pretty easy to master.

wear your goggles, read the directions and practice on scrap wood to get the hang of things. DO NOT work when you are mad
    and do not let yourself become distracted while you are cutting things.....

good luck!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Some ideas...

Joyce ~

Good places to go for advice (and in-store training classes and demonstrations) are stores like SEARS and Home Depot.

Around Fathers Day - bargins can be found!

For the "occasional user" - the standard quality power tools are probably sufficient - you don't really need the Heavy Duty or Contractor Grade.
    But - don't buy bargin-basement *cheap stuff*, either!

A 3/8" variable speed Power Drill is always handy. *Might* consider a "cordless" one - but they tend to always have a dead battery just when you want to drill *one or two* holes! If you go cordless - make SURE the battery is "detachable" and not built inside the handle!! (And don't charge it continuously, either - that ruins rechargable batteries.)

Saws? A SABRE saw is handy for cutting curved lines; while a Circular saw is good for cutting longer but straight lines.
    And Blades - come in many flavors - discuss WHAT you are cutting and pick appropriate blades. Don't need Diamond-Tips; but don't buy the "cheapie" blades, either. (You get what you pay for with blades!)

Most chain stores put reasonably good corded saws on Sale for $19-50. If you go the Sears route - only buy the "Craftsman" line - a better warranty than the cheaper "Sears" brand of tools. For SAWS - I'd go corded rather than cord-LESS ~ heavy cutting (or many cuts) tend to run down the cordless saws rather quickly. And cordless Batteries are NOT a life-time item - they WILL wear out and need to be replaced.

Folding work tables? Come in *many* flavors! Cheap and *rikity* to Bigga Bucks! Stick to a name brand and look for a "sale". Be sure it has some various ways to HOLD things you're working on.

Nother Idea ~ Check with your neighbors -
    Try to find a "reliable" one who migh *share* power tools. Buy something he/she doesn't have in exchange for *borrowing rights* back and forth.

**GOOD point by Richard >> *Practice* on scrap before you do it on the good stuff!!

And *WATCH* your finners!!
    Power tools can *maime* in the blink of an eye IF you're not careful and cautious!!

Happie Remodeling!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Re: Some ideas...

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke

Nother Idea ~ Check with your neighbors -
    Try to find a "reliable" one who migh *share* power tools. Buy something he/she doesn't have in exchange for *borrowing rights* back and forth.

i was wondering where that rototiller came from....

oh and the HOW TO television shows are great places to pick up hints!
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

Re: Re: Some ideas...

Originally posted by RICHARD
    I was wondering where that rototiller came from....
    or...

Now WHO did I loan my _______ to????
    Fill in da BLANK!

Been there, Dun dat!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Re: Re: Re: Some ideas...

Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
    or...

Now WHO did I loan my _______ to????
    Fill in da BLANK!

Been there, Dun dat!

my favorite is going to the neighbors and they lend you THEIR tools.......tools that belonged to you once upon a time!
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I had my own power tools when I got married. I had a power screw driver (cordless) EVERYONE should have one of these, a power drill, and a power sander.

Five years later the power sander is all I have left. BUT...my husband has every power tool known to man. One year for Valentine's Day he wanted some kind of drill for drilling concrete (????) He broke my power screw driver (but replaced it with something "more powerful") and laughed at my puney power drill.

A power screw driver is the housewarming gift I would give to my single women friends. Indispensible!

id' ing my tools....

once upon a time in a not so far away land, i had a few power tools, like a power drill( loved it) and a long leveler. my dear sweet neighbor, dick, thought they were his, after all a "young girl like yourself wouldn't have these power tools.." so to label my tools from his, when i got them i took a shocking pink nail polish and painted streaks on the handle and tools. we never had a discussion about tool ownership again . thanks for the info, lowes/home depot here i come!
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.