Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Reputations

Definitely pit bulls !!! I had one who is in rainbow heaven now, but she was the best dog I ever had.. She will have a place in my heart forever...

In Defense Of Pit Bulls

Ok, after reading these post..I have to put in my two cents worth about pit bulls...They most definitely have a bad rep which they DO NOT deserve..

I had for for 17 years until she passed away from old age. I have to say she was undoubtedly the best dog I ever had. She was very sweet, gentle loving and loyal, unless told otherwise. But she was protective, though ONLY on my command.

They are NOT dangerous unless trained to be so, and that is the humans fault. The dog just gets the blame.

Jaquetta

I agree with jaquetta, people blame dogs because they don't want to put the blame on humans. Because humans never make mistakes and that we never do anything wrong!!! What a load!

Jaquetta,

You will not get any argument from me or CheshireKatt about Pit Bulls - we LOVE them too!!!

The don't deserve the BadRap they get.
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

I agree that just about every breed has a stereotype, whether it be "dangerous", "stupid", "froo froo", or any of the other numerous silly things people say. I think we, as responsible dog owners, should take every chance to educate the public that they simply cannot stereotype our dogs. There are some people who won't listen no matter what, but there are still some people's minds who can be changed.

I know there are a lot of stereotypes about my Poodle and I enjoying proving them wrong and watching how shocked people are when they see how wonderful he is
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I agree Aly.. Poodles are very sweet little dogs, not to mention being very smart.

I do stand up for pit bulls every chance I get, as well as other breeds with a bad rap. I owe that to my beloved Duchess, may she rest in peace..

It is reassuring to know lots of you feel the same as I do about pit bulls, as well as the other breeds..If only we could get the rest of the world to feel the same way. But we can only do what we can for their cause..

Jaquetta

Pits have such a bad rep they are such great dogs too! And i think goldens do too, some people think they are biters, or nippers, not true for my baby Daisy!

I usually put it to people like this:

SUV's kill thousands of people ever year. Pitbulls kill like how many? 10?
    ~Kat

Yea rite, and yet people still LOVE suvs. stupid, i think.

My Sheltie isn't the least bit barky, or "neurotic". I get that a lot. People say "I heard shelties are neurotic." So - shelties have a bad rep.

But pit bulls and rottweilers definitely have it bad.

i've never heard of a sheltie having a rep? expecially a bad one!

I think every dog has a rep.....some worse than others for sure. The ones I have heard most are:

Pitbulls - very aggressive dog...not good with children, fighting dogs

Rotties-bad temper, not good with children

Poodles-very yapping

Ok so now in their defence (unfortuntely)

Pitbulls-my friend had 2 of them and 3 children. The biggest babies I have ever ever seen.....very protective on command though. Um and the kids are still alive......imagine that!

Rotties-have 2 of them......very protective of my friends kids...big babies. Have met tons of rotties-very good temper and most of the people have children and they wern't harmed at all....imagine that!

Poodles-my girlfriend has 1 and the only time i ever hear that dog bark is when someone comes to the door, or you are playing with her...........

Isn't that the truth - I have a rott/chow mix - both of which are supposed to be so called "aggressive" breeds. Leo never meet a dog or human that he didn't like. The biggest problem is that with large strong dogs (if they aren't socialized and trained properly) can overwhelm people that aren't experienced with the larger breeds. That is why I always recommend the Gentle Leader or equivilent when my friends get large dogs.

Shelties don't have a big, bad rep...just known as comulsive barkers. I hate hearing "oh yeah, Sheltie? They're so barky and annoying." So what? I can come right back and start saying, "Oh yeah Pit Bulls? They're so agressive and such a threat!" and then nobody wins (I'm trying to make a point here, I wouldn't really say that)

I hate these reputations, it makes every dog look bad in some way.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Except labs and golden retrievers, they have no bad rep (that i know of) and are considered the perfect family dog for EVERY family. That is the reason i hate labs. i like goldens though.