Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Do You Keep A Baby Duck?!?!?

Where Do You Keep A Baby Duck?!?!?

we have a hampster cage and some chicken wire> wild raccoons and other nanimals where can i keep my duckie safe>>INSIDE NOT AN OPTION stupid allergies!!
    help?
    wots of wuv,
    ~*~Isabell(RB)&Cait~*~

WHAT IF.....
    they had just given up
    we didnt have to go to war
    no one had to suffer
    WHAT IF.....
    THERE WAS NO GOD?

Could you re-post and clear up the above?

Do you a duck now?
    Where are you keeping him now?
    What's that part about wild raccoons?
    A hamster cage? What does that have to do with it? What kind of hamster cage?

A hamster cage is **way** too small. They need a large area to run around, such as a dog kennel run. With a little kiddy pool for it to wash its self and swim around in. Raccoons will eat a baby duck, along with many other wild animals. I hope you have no intention of setting it loose after raising it, what type of duck is it? If it is rather cold outside at night where you live, it is a good idea to have a small heat/incubation light to keep it warm. Or, you could get a big bird-like house and fill it up with hay for it to nestle in. Make sure they have somekind of ramp for getting in and out of the pool, otherwise they can get stick in the pool (and it is possible for them to drown). Do not put more than 2 inches of water in the pool, because they can get cold easily since they don't have oily feathers.

This is a pretty nice website, click here
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Oh yes, one other question, when do you plan on getting this ducky??

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO,NO DO NOT DO THIS!!! Your duck will end up dying. It will have no clue how to fend for itself on its own, there are too many predators that will want to taste it for lunch. It won't know how to migrate, it won't know where to find good food. Is this a barn duck or a wild breed duck?? Barn ducks DO NOT get set free. If you want this duck, you have to keep it, or find a house/farm where it can live out the rest of its life. Since you will be having it as a baby, it will imprint the human-kind, that's why it can't be released.

Please, do some more research on ducks before you consider brining one into your home. For the sake of the duck.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

my sister has a biology teacher that is doing a duck project... we will get the ducks from her i dont have it yet it will be another 2 or3 weeks before we het them... the hampster cage isnt really that big and it will have to live outside b/c of allergies in the family i am afriad something will eat cuz s/he has to live outside

all questions answered?
    wots of wuv,
    ~*~Isabell(RB)&Cait~*~

WHAT IF.....
    they had just given up
    no one had to suffer
    WHAT IF.....
    THERE WAS NO GOD?

i didnt realize my typing was such a mess at the top>> sorry i was ina hurry........any advice would be greatly appreciated and we dont have a kiddie pool and i dont think my mom plans on getting on..not for a duck at least maybe i could find something else?? we have a pond down in the woods a ways where i could teach it to swim......
    wots of wuv,
    ~*~Isabell(RB)&Cait~*~

WHAT IF.....
    they had just given up
    no one had to suffer
    WHAT IF.....
    THERE WAS NO GOD?

Even a big tupperware-type container for it to swim in would be okay.

A hamster cage will absolutely not work. A secure, fenced in area, with space to wander and water to paddle about it would be minimal. Protection from the rain ... okay - see
    here for a lot of info on duckling care. At least you've got a little time to educate yourselves and prepare a place!

Originally posted by iwuvsmypuppy
    we have a pond down in the woods a ways where i could teach it to swim......
    No...that would not work. What if it were to swim away? Let's see, if it is a pond...in the woods- it is guaranteed that snapping turtles, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, possums, hawks, stray cats, etc reside in/near the pond. All would love to dine on a run-away duckling.

You have to provide some kind of container of water, they are ducks, they live for water-that's where they get all their food from. Karens idea is really smart- a tupperware container is a good idea, just make sure its a little bit bigger than the ducky.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

OK, after some thinking, I decided to post it:
    Try this site:
    here
    When I posted this I was not aware of the hunting section. It does have nice info on ducks though.
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Britt, HEY! LOL! I was just looking at that webpage, freaky!!

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    Britt, HEY! LOL! I was just looking at that webpage, freaky!!

Weird... LOL!
    Mom to Ethan, Sophie and Sansa

Ducks are illegal to own here, You should not get this duck, you know nothing about it. Why are you even considering without doing any research, a hamster cage?? HA, that will be WAYYYY to small for a duckling. My hamsters barely fit in mine let alone a duck. Geeze, have you dont ne research?? You should not keep a duckling out side because it is to cold for them, they need warmth. do you have a garage? with a heater?? do you have a dog kenal? a kiddy pool? if you dont, then you shouldent get a duck..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    Ducks are illegal to own here, You should not get this duck, you know nothing about it. Why are you even considering without doing any research, a hamster cage?? HA, that will be WAYYYY to small for a duckling. My hamsters barely fit in mine let alone a duck. Geeze, have you dont ne research?? You should not keep a duckling out side because it is to cold for them, they need warmth. do you have a garage? with a heater?? do you have a dog kenal? a kiddy pool? if you dont, then you shouldent get a duck..
    what do you think i am doing asking the ppl on PT?? i am researching the topic rite now>> the garage is too crowded for two ducks and all their stuff>> so if ur not happy with what i am doing fine, But you don’t know me or what I am going to do or how much I am going to love this little duckie!!!
    Last edited by iwuvsmypuppy; 03-28-2003 at 10:41 PM.
    wots of wuv,
    ~*~Isabell(RB)&Cait~*~

WHAT IF.....
    they had just given up
    no one had to suffer
    WHAT IF.....
    THERE WAS NO GOD?

Calm down both of you. Tikeya's mom, it is not your place to tell her whether or not she should get a duckling in such an unfreindly tone. She IS doing research, and part of it is asking questions here! Read the whole story, and give her the benefit of the doubt!

Iwuvsmypuppy, no shouting, either. Please go back and edit out your shouting.

This is Pet Talk, both of you! Where we know every pet - and every person is special! So no yelling, okay?

Hopefully by the time the duckling comes home, you will have a place prepared for it. Did you go to that site I put the link to?