Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new hedgehog owner...

new hedgehog owner...

I have been doing 3 months research on African Pygmy Hedgehogs I was thinking about getting one.
    They are not illegal here. I was going to get a tortoise but They are highly illegal here in B.C and I cannot get one without it being tooken away.

I have always wanted a hedgie. They sell them here in local pet stores. I would house it in a 20 gallon tank and feed it meal worms, crickets, earth worms, fruits, veggies, dry cat food ect...

I know they are only up at night and not in the day. I also know that they are solitary (sp?) .......

I hope you all know that I am still getting thoughs gerbils from the spca when Cuddles last pup *lil baby female syrian hamster tri colored, if anyone is interested* finds a good home. and I hope you all also know that I am very responsible and I do alot of research befor I jump into anything.

Also I know they need baths every once in a while to prevent ticks and flees with baby shampoo I also know to be armed with ruber gloves if it is a first time bath to lol. .

I will be taking my hedgehog for a vey check everytime it is needed, the first day or week I get it, it will be going to the vet be sure of that much

I also read that they need an excersise wheel ??? is this true? I would not put my hedge hog in a hamster ball to run in, dont worrie.

Any inputs? Or does anyone wanna add anything?? Thanks
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Yes Hedgies like wheels, at least my Speedy does.

If they eat cat food it needs to be a high quality kitten food like Authority or Science diet. I feed a mixture of both.

They do need to be groomed. I think you saw Speedy bath picture right? hehe You need tweezers to pick out anything that gets stuck between their quills. If you get a baby don't hold him while he is quilling because it hurts.

I wouldn't feed any insects unless they are domestic raised. Speedy gets superworms, meal worms, crickets, and freeze dried crickets too.

They have special diets formulated for hedgies as well. Speedy sometimes gets Briskys. They are online.

It sounds like you have done your research. Hedgies can make great pets!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thanks luckies4me, for replying ... I love hedge hogs and I was always fasinated by them (sp?) .. I am pritty sure I will be getting an adult .. But I have 1 question that wasnt answered on any sites.

How often do you bath your hedgie, and what kind of burrowing bedding r u suppost to use. Most of the websites I went to said "NO CEDAR" so I am taking that advise .. But they say to use pine?? is that true?? What do you use for bedding??

Well right now I use Carefresh. I have him in a Superpet cage with a wheel, a hammock, a tube to crawl in as well. He has a great time. Not like it matters, he sleeps all day and when he's up he's out to run around. lol
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

How long did it take to tame your hedgehog? what do you suggest female or male?? They dont sell carefresh bedding here.

I also know that they are solitary
    The ones at the petshop must be a different kind, because they are in groups Or maybe it is just a litter that hasn't been seperated yet I'm not sure. They are also housed with the degus. Both species are in seperate groups ignoring the other lol
    I've been BOO'd!

how much r they? I have 60 bucks right now.. .... Theya re solitary, most petstores dont have a clue because they dont care. they house syrian hamsters together and they are not suppost to, they would porbibly house betta fish males together without a clue lol. thats why I want to work at a pet store soooo fricking bad.. I would be alot of help to unknowledgeble ppl

r they cute??

With the degus! WOW! I'd be scared for the hedgies.

They can be kept together but they prefer to be alone. Yes the ones you saw were probably just a litter of babies.

Tikeyas_mom

You don't have to use Carefresh. You can use Aspen shavings as well.

My hedgies were tame when I got them. Speedy the first was so cute when I got him lol. He rolled a few times but after a few days he settled down. Speedy, the one I have now, was pretty much tame when I got him. H was a spunky little thing.You should see his video when he was a baby. So cute!!!!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Of course they are cute! lol...I actually think they are over a hundred I can't remember, but I remember looking at the price and thinking, 'that much?!'
    I've been BOO'd!

yay. I would be scared for the degus because of the hedge hogs terriorial behavior. It would worrie me a bit..

Do they look like this wolf soul??

how much were your luckies4me?? I can scrounge up 120$ I think but no more then that .. ..

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    yay. I would be scared for the degus because of the hedge hogs terriorial behavior. It would worrie me a bit..

Do they look like this wolf soul??

HEY THAT'S ESTELLES HEDGIE!!!!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Yep, it looked like that, but I think different colours? Can't remember..
    I've been BOO'd!

I think that one is an algerian cinnacot.....it should say on her site.

She breeds ratties too.

I paid 65 dollars for Speedy, he was the last one there at the store. But I also spent 75 for his cage, and about 60 for his supplies.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major