Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Bunnies!

My Bunnies!

I finally got pics of my bunnies today! Here they are.....

Thumper Bunny is the daddy (Californian)

And Lucky Bun is the mommy (Chinchilla Satin)

Of these cuties who are now 3 weeks old!

There are 4 white with black points, 2 blacks, and a dark silver I couldn't get a good pic of.

And, new to the family as of day before yesterday...

Grandberry's Rudy, a Chestnut Agouti Jersey Wooly doe

And Lil' Bunny Fru Fru, a black rex doe at 4 weeks old

I love my Buns!
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

Awww what beauties!!!

How old are mom 'n dad? Do you plan on keeping the babies? WHAT sweeties!!

Your bunnies are so cute and I can tell you love them.

However I am distressed to see you have a new? 4 weeks old. Yes, this is the age when they are the cutest but they should not be taken from their mom until they are 8 to 10 weeks old.... Yes they are eating greens but they haven't had a chance to completely learn how to BE a bunny from their mom at this age.
    Most females who are removed to early from their mothers often kill their first batch or two of babies because they don't know what they are and how to take care of them. I am involved in rabbit rescue and we see this frequently.

I would hope that you are not intentionally breeding your bunnies and adding to the homeless rabbit population. We have found that rabbits are impulsively purchased this time of year and no thought is given to the care and needs of the rabbit...they are just cute so people want them. They don't realize that bunnies are physically fragile, the amount of work involved, that buns need to eat something other than pellets, and most importantly, that rabbits are NOT like kittens and puppies....that you have to EARN a rabbit's trust and affection. People also do not understand the eye sight factor or why a bunny might freak out and box, charge or bite when something comes at them from the low vision spot in front of their face..... I could go on and on.

What is really sad is that it is only the end of March and already our sanctuary has already seen an increase in people wanting to surrender their bunnies or who have found abandoned ones. What I refer to as the "Easter Dump" hasn't even happened yet...May, June and the first half of July are terrible for us. Last August we were caring for 92-94 bunnies, when our usual population is between 42-50...... I hate to think that the early surrenders we are seeing are a portent of things to come later this spring. PLEASE reconsider if you are purposefully breeding your bunnies, and if you aren't, congratulations! You are doing the right thing.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

Won't the wire flooring hurt their feet? Do they have a solid area to go to to rest their tootsies?

I too think that is too young of an age. When I was younger around Easter time we would go to Pet City and I would look at bunnies. I bought two.....I was around 18 I think. I don't know what type of rabbits they were, but I knew they were not purebred.

They were just white bunnies with straight ears and VERY young. The other bunnies I ever had were adults when I got them so I didn't know anything about younger bunnies, I thought they were just like adult rabbits in their care. Boy was I wrong.

Well the first one died the next day, then the other bunnies that were sold there also died. I can only believe it was from them not being ready to live on their own. I took the body back and they told me I could exhange for another bunny.

I exchanged and got another from a different litter, a white bunny with a black ring around the eye and a cute black nose! Well, I fed the bunny some veggies and he died too! I didn't know you were not supposed to feed them greens when they were that young. I thought they were old enough to leave mom because they were in the pet store.

All the books I read said greens were fine. They didn't tell me not to feed him greens until I brought him back, then they told me! I think all Pet Stores should hand out a Caresheet just in case. I wish I would have had the internet then....don't even recall anyone who did then, but if I did I would have had a wealth of information.

It was an impulse buy and I was guilty of it. I hate Easter time for that reason, there are ducks, rabbits, and chickens being bred for people who are just like I was....wanting to buy an animal because it was "cute" and that's not a reason to get an animal. The reason should be for companionship.

I hope you keep your babies or at least sell them on contract. There are always people looking for free animals. A lot of free animals are sold to people who look honest, but a lot of those innocent pets get sold for research labs or breeding mills etc.

When I sell my rats they are all sold on contract, and the people are drilled about proper feeding and housing etc. Just make sure they really know what they are getting into and that they know how to properly handle/house/feed the animal.

I do think that maybe a solid place for your bunnies would make them happy. Are they litter box trained?

Can you tell us anymore about them? I love to see pics too, so more pics wouldn't hurt.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

If you want to type up some sort of sales agreement, you can look at my pages for some ideas. Just make it fit bunnies.

Also if you want to breed, I would make sure homes are lined up beforeyou do, and don't breed mixes. That is doing nothing to improve the breed of rabbit. It is said that if you cannot improve the line then don't do it.

I am very picky which rats of mine are bred. I have most if not all of the babies solf before they are born, and I keep whatever babies I do not sell until they find a home. I also always welcome back any animal that was bred by me if the new owner comes into some troubles etc. I actually make them sign an agreement that states that if they ever need to rehome the animal that it be returned to me first, or that I must agree that whoever they want to rehome the rat with will be suitable. A lot of time, money, devotion etc. goes into breeding any animal.

Here are the links. BTW your bunnies are gorgouse! I love Californians.

http://www.geocities.com/luckies4me/adoption.html

http://www.geocities.com/luckies4me/...formation.html

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Your bunnies are gorgeous! I especially love the dad!

BTW people, she never said she seperated them from their mother, and it certainly doesn't "seem" like she did. I hope not.

They are precious! I love white bunbuns!

Originally posted by popcornbird
    Your bunnies are gorgeous! I especially love the dad!

BTW people, she never said she seperated them from their mother, and it certainly doesn't "seem" like she did. I hope not.

They are precious! I love white bunbuns!

You misunderstood. We are not talking about the babies, it seems they are still with their mother. We are referring to her new bunny who is four weeks old and without a mother.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Oh I see. I "thought" the 4 week old was one of the siblings. lol

Originally posted by popcornbird
    Oh I see. I "thought" the 4 week old was one of the siblings. lol

hehe

Isn't daddy so cute though??? Last summer we took Dylan to the 4H fair and he got to see all the bun buns. It's amazing how many types there are!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

BTW the Orginal Cadbury Bunny was my bunny. So make sure to watch her commercial...if they show it this year. Her name is Apples. My father and I am going to put a website up about her which should be done soon, as not even the company has any info on her, and I would have expected at least something!!! Sorry but those other rabbits took her over, grrr.

They don't show her as much anymore since all the "imposters" took over.

The lady who trained her also trained cats for Friskies commercials too. But Apples is gone now, don't know when she died, but it as a long time ago.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Actually you know what, I think Apples might have actually been a boy, I would have to ask my dad....

I am sure my dad has great stories about her! I should get him to join. I have tried a few times already but he always complain that he belongs to too many lol.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Don't ya just love it when two people jump in and take over
    a thread & begin chatting back and forth about things that
    have nothing at all to do with the original poster's intent ? NOT.

If Equine ever returns to this thread, Id really like to hear all
    about her bunnies & also the 4 wk old bunny.Very cute baby.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

That happens in a lot of threads........we didn't take her thread over. If you didn't read my posts I asked to see more pics and what not, and I do believe we commented on how sweet her babies are.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

aww! so cute! they are just adorible! I just loooovvee the fourth one... aww! lol... thanks so much for a smile!

Great Pics!! Your bunnies are just so adorable and sweet!
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"