Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Bunnies!

Originally posted by Logan
    Luckies, my post was not directed at you. It was just a general comment.

Ok lol, sorry bout that. I just want to rest easy you know?

They are SO cute though!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Ok lol, sorry bout that. I just want to rest easy you know?

They are SO cute though!
    Luckies, you have had your share of adversity at Pet Talk, lately. I promise, I will not be the one to add to it.

Great Logan, your the best!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

You bet, no problem, no discussion of eating them here is fine by me. I totally agree, this is a pet forum. I didn't mention it before, when I posted the pics, for that reason. But, Daisylover's post kinda put me in a position where I had to clear that up.

I found that there are probably 3 girls 4 boys in the litter (they are still young, so may have to double check in a week or so). Two girls are white (Californian marked) and the biggest black is a girl. Two girls are definately sold right now, and another is looking at the third girl and a boy. I will probably end up selling all of them as pets, as they are going fast and they all have great personalities this time. I guess that is what I get for having such a sweet doe. Lucky LOVES having her ears stroked and being petted as long as you don't hold her. She will just lay there, and practically purr. Since she weighs about 12 lbs, she is a bit much to hold anyway.

Luckies, I will PM you more about meat rabbits, sizes, etc.

BTW, update on Fru Fru, the 4 wk old rex. She has gained signifcant weight and seems to be quite healthy and happy. I think she is going to come through quite well. She is such a doll, my daughter was holding her and carrying her around for a good part of the afternoon. I think we are going to get a harness for her and Rudy so we can take them on little walks. I haven't done that with one of my bunnies for a long time.

And the foot boards, or bunny boards as we call them? Well Thumper decided that the new boards were just too new, and he promptly grabbed each one, chewed on each corner, tossed and turned and flipped them until he was satisfied that they were "fluffed up" enough for him to be comfortable on them. What a ham!

Daisy, you mentioned that some of your rabbits are leary of people. I know what you mean, I have had alot of rabbits like that. Thumper is horrible. The poor guy almost can't stand to be touched he is so traumatized. His ears and head are out of the question, and when I stroke him down the back he twitches and is hard as a rock. He has gotten better, but he is impossible to do toenails on. I feel really bad for him and have been making an extra effort to win him over. I have a need to rehab and help abused, neglected and generally messed up critters. I always end up with the worst horses, dogs, cats, etc. Seems it is not much different with bunnies, the ones I buy/rescue, anyway.

Thank you all for understanding and respecting my position. I look forward to continuing chatting with you all.
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

Thank you for understanding!

Awwwww! What cuties! I want a baby bunny! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I love seeing pics of bunnies.they're really cute
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~

Equinebehaviorist,

I have to disagree on your whole outlook, because you saying "some bunnies arent ment to be pets, because they are skiddish or whatever" is very wronge, any animal has the potentail if raised right to be an awsome pet. You are going to try to breed that 4 week old bunny, I know you are, I can just think about it now, you dont know ANYTHING about this rabbits background or anything, you are what I call a back yard or reckless breeder. Very unforunite these poor bunnies have either be perfect or have a perfect Temprement or be killed. My bunny Angel was a perfect pet she was soo lovely and cute, she HATED to cuddle and be held, would you kill her and sell her for meat? Probibly if she was in one of your rabbit litters. ppl like you make me sick. you know breeding shortens female rabbits lives, and gives them a greater chance or cancer?? You dont seem to care. .. I am just so overwelmed with fear for your upcoming and future litters. I am in more of a shock that you would mention this kind of thing HERE on a pet forum.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    Equinebehaviorist,

I have to disagree on your whole outlook, because you saying "some bunnies arent ment to be pets, because they are skiddish or whatever" is very wronge, any animal has the potentail if raised right to be an awsome pet.
    Personality tends to be a genetic trait, meaning that the brain and nervous systems are programmed by the genes that created it to react and respond to external stimulus in various ways. When genetic pattern surfaces of extreamly sensitive nervous system, the animal, any animal, is set towards becoming an anxious, nervous, defensive, or even aggressive animal. The experiences that it has througout its life will determine its behaviors. Behavior, to a point is modifiable. The problem is, it can often take lots of work, specific types of training, and a constant awareness of the genetic personality of that animal.

Considering this, I feel that it is more humane for a geneticlly nervous rabbit to be butchered than to be placed with any person looking for a pet. If someone comes along and wants a more excitable or nervous rabbit, for some crazy reason, and they show me that they have the skills to understand and train that rabbit, then so be it. But most of those bunnies, and dogs for that matter, that end up in shelters or abondoned are there because the average person who is looking for a pet has no clue about animal behavior period. They want to think that they are little people, and that the animal will calm down with just love alone. It takes knowledge of how an animal thinks, and how the species thinks, to understand and then possibly work towards modifying behavior.

You are going to try to breed that 4 week old bunny, I know you are, I can just think about it now, you dont know ANYTHING about this rabbits background or anything, you are what I call a back yard or reckless breeder.
    I may very well give her a shot at it when she is ready, if I feel that she has the comfomation I want in my rabbits. She definately has a great temperment, even though her kits will probably, if she can handle being mom, will probably all have great temperments also, and end up being sold as pets. But, if she consistantly gives me great tempered kits, I will not breed her unless I have a demand for HER kits as pets, quite simply that is not my primary goal with the little bit of breeding that I do.

Part of a good breeding program, when it comes to farm animals, is not just pedigree on paper. As long as she produces good quality kits, and she enjoys being a mother, I will use her as needed. However, if the kits show any signs of problems, poor comformation, inherited health problems, etc. then she will be retired as a pet only.

Very unforunite these poor bunnies have either be perfect or have a perfect Temprement or be killed. My bunny Angel was a perfect pet she was soo lovely and cute, she HATED to cuddle and be held, would you kill her and sell her for meat? Probibly if she was in one of your rabbit litters.
    Not necessarily. If she was aggressive, and showed no sign of improvement with reasonable effort, and if it was more likely that she would end up abandoned or neglected because of her behavior than happy and well adjusted to being a pet, I would, indeed, if she were of my litters. It is being responsible, in my opinion, rather than naive that someone would be able to deal with her personality and behavioral issues. I personally, if she expressed these behaviors, wouldn't feel that she would be happy as a domesticated rabbit.

ppl like you make me sick. you know breeding shortens female rabbits lives, and gives them a greater chance or cancer?? You dont seem to care. .. I am just so overwelmed with fear for your upcoming and future litters.
    I do care. I do not breed my does relentlessly like alot of producers do. I care for the health and wellbeing of my stock, not just as stock, but as living creatures, God's creatures. They are carefully chosen stock, not just by papers or pedigrees, and they are only bred for what is desired. I don't breed them for money so much, as a true backyard breeder does, but I do "adopted" the kits which would make very nice pets. If the new owners didn't pay an adoption fee, they would be less likely to appreciate and be willing to put the money into their new friend to care for it properly.

The adults are retired young (usually 1 or 2 at most years of breeding - maybe 3 litters a year) and happily, and in fact, I am in the process of building a "retirement facility" for them, the does in one area, the bucks in another, with their own little worlds. This is one of the reasons I don't breed commercially anymore and I am keeping my herd so small. I want to be able to give all of my bunnies a comfortable existance, breeders, retirees, and young.

As for cancer, I am a firm believer that man is the cause of cancer though chemicals and genetic modification. All of my animals are organically and homopathically fed and cared for. I do not believe that cancer is caused alone by being bred. The combination of the hormonal surges and the chemicals put through their systems via of processed feed, antibiotics, and growth stimulators cause cancers. God made bunnies to have babies, just as he made us that way. Even we, the average woman, are at higher risk for cancers if we DON'T have babies and breast feed.

If you want to find irresponsible, selfish breeders, find puppy mills, people who breed countless of bunnies for labratory use (yes to make sure the drugs, make-up, lotions, etc. that you use are safe for human use), Premarin farms, or that awful breeder of Twisty cats, and the such. I am a small farm owner who cares about her animals and feeds her familly with what I grow, not to be rich or even to break even. I breed for naturally healthy, vigorous, strong animals with good temperments in general.

I am in more of a shock that you would mention this kind of thing HERE on a pet forum.
    Again, the only reason why I did mention it is that Daisylover basically put me in a position where I had to clear the subject up. And now you have done the same in a much stronger sense. Whereas I understand and respect your concern, I will stand up to defend my position. It is not for everyone, but I am not irresponsible or a bad person for it either. And unless someone wants to rip into me again here publicly, I do not intend to mention the butchering of the rabbits here again, publicly. If you have a problem with it that you wan to express, PM me, don't put it here.

Respectfully,

K-FROG
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

Originally posted by Daisylover
    I also want to give you a big high-5 for rescuing the 4 wk old female...... I admit here is where I get crazed .... selling for the
    babies for snake food....that is so sick.
    And what do you suggest for those of us who own large snakes?! Starve our pets?!

And Equine: Your rabbits are DARLING! Cali's are awesome rabbits.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I used to own a snake, absolutely loved her. But I couldn't stand feeding time, quite simply because of the process. In fact, my ex tried to feed her a rat, but I saved it and made a great pet out of him too! But, we all have to make choices.

Honestly, what kills me is, like I said, people who raise rabbits for lab use. I can't imagine the torture they must go through just to make sure things are safe for human use.

First, I'd kinda like to kick myself for coming back to this thread... for the sole reason that I am incredibly sensitive when it comes to bunnies.... (already in a puddle of tears)

Second, I'd like to express my surprise and delight at EquineBehaviorist's ability to handle such an attack in a cool, collected manner... something I wouldn't have been able to do! lol

Third, and I will keep this incredibly brief... If people are going to consume bunnies, I would much rather have those persons be EXACTLY like EquineB. She is knowledgeable, compassionate, and definitely NOT what I would call a backyard breeder. On this topic, I will stop there.

I do not think that all "pets" are cut out to be pets. I do think that there are some that just can not adapt to human interaction. In my mind, after all means have been exhuasted and the animal is still not responding, the kindest thing is to put the animal to sleep. Yes, I would love to be able to save them all but it's not entirely possible.

For the record, while I'm not a strict vegetarian, I realize (but don't condone) the consumption of rabbits; they will always be indoor pets to me. I also realize that snakes must eat too, but can't ever imagine feeding one anything more than crickets.

Equinebehaviorist, I will have to admit, I'm at shock with how calmly you handled all this attacking and hurtful posts. You are one brave, calm, and gentle person! Wow!

I agree with not believing that breeding increases the risk of cancer. God made animals to have babies, and their not being spayed/neutered cannot be a cause for cancer. That's how they were created, that's how they were made to be. That is one of the reasons people give for spaying/neutering that I will NEVER accept, because God made them that way and their natural body parts cannot be the cause of disease. I userstand the other reasonings to have it done, but this is one reason I will never accept. Good job on handling things so well. I would've broken down!

Originally posted by popcornbird

I agree with not believing that breeding increases the risk of cancer. God made animals to have babies, and their not being spayed/neutered cannot be a cause for cancer. That's how they were created, that's how they were made to be. That is one of the reasons people give for spaying/neutering that I will NEVER accept, because God made them that way and their natural body parts cannot be the cause of disease. I userstand the other reasonings to have it done, but this is one reason I will never accept.
    Yes, but spaying can prevent cancer from happening if those parts are not even there for cancer to form in.

Cancer can form anywhere. I have faith in God and don't believe a body part can be a "cause" of cancer. If cancer has to happen, it will happen anywhere, and no one can stop it. If its not going to happen, whether the animal is spayed or not, it won't happen. We have those body parts too, so we have that risk as well!

I didn't say spaying is wrong. I know there are many benefits. I just pointed out that "that" is not a reason I take for it. The homeless reason is why I think it helps, but I don't take the cancer thing as an issue. I take the other reasons.