Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Aby at the shelter!!! (I want him!!!)

An Aby at the shelter!!! (I want him!!!)

You guys....we went to the shelter today and saw a new little boy! His story is very sad...he's a pure bred 3.5 month old Aby (looks like a mnt. lion) that was brought in by his BREEDER!!! He was brought in with is sister, who later died during her spay surgery.

He was in a hallway cage, which usually means he isn't into other cats. Well, I couldn't leave him there. He was so scared with all the noises and the people walking by. They said he was having diareah (speling??) since they got him and he was having a hard time making it in and to the litter box. He just sat there in a tiny ball at the bottom of his cage.

The volunteer coordinator walked by and saw me sitting against his cage for the fourth time and told me I could drag his cage to the cat room entry area (separate from the cat room) and see if he would come out.

As SOON as we closed the door and opened his cage he was out. You guys, he was a totally different cat! He chirped, meowed and tried to get in the cat room! He wanted another cat so badly. He is afraid of people, which makes me really sad. I wonder how come. He was so happy next to other cats. He even went into his litter box and went potty!

I want him so bad...but we can't get another cat...David wont have it. He would be so amazing with Basie.

Anyone need another cat?

...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Re: An Aby at the shelter!!! (I want him!!!)

Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Anyone need another cat?

oh if only you were closer!!!

Maybe you could contact the aby rescue organization to help find a home for him. I can't believe a responsible breeder would not make the effort to place the kittens in a good home. I think the breeder should be tracked down and reported to the aby breeders association. Here's the link.http://abys.net/NAR/
    I hope the little guy finds a good home.

Originally posted by lailamara
    I can't believe a responsible breeder would not make the effort to place the kittens in a good home.
    That's the thing, they said it seemed like these two she dropped off where a breeding gone wrong... She had brought four cats total to the shelter, two to be fixed and taken home and then Mike (this one) and his sister that she wanted the shelter to keep. That is wierd behavior for a breeder...

I've never seen an Aby that is all one color, he's tan. I can't stop thinking about him...but, how do I know if he's OK? They've been doing a lot of tests on him because of the diareah, but they've found nothing wrong healthwise.

A bad thing is the loss of his sister. They said she was so frail that she didn't make it through the spay.
    Last edited by NoahsMommy; 03-23-2003 at 12:15 AM.

I found a picture of what he looks like, a fawn aby:

omg I have a female cat that looks just like him. She was a stray and had 3 kittens when I found her. Her name is Henrietta and she is the sweetest thing. Hope someone will give him a forever home.

Could you get him just as a foster until you find him a good home? Would your hubby be okay with that??

I wonder about the breeder Of course breeding can not always result in world wide champions but ervy responsible breeder would look that the kitten is healthy and well and it is his responsibilty to look for a good place even if the kitten is neutered. (Tigris was also the result of his mom getting in contact with his dad much too early but of course they kept all 4 half-Abys until they were old enough, looked for good homes and the kittens had all the shots etc. -and were socialized perfectly)
    I hope so much that this little boy gets a good place but I also recommend to report this behavior to the CFA (or whoever is the best organization for Aby breeders in the US).

Oh, Kelly, that is so sad. I hope and pray he finds a home soon, for all my `can`t have another cat` thoughts if I lived anywhere near, - heck, just if I lived in your country, I would take him in a heartbeat. Please keep us updated what is happening with him.

Chris

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    That's the thing, they said it seemed like these two she dropped off where a breeding gone wrong...
    THIS !!!! is why we (as a planet) should NOT be breeding animals to suit our needs.
    I firmly believe there should be tight control over the amount of litters that are allowed to enter this world. (no, I don't know how...but I can always hope for a solution)

I wish that aby the best of luck. I hope the shelter realizes his attitude toward other cats as I think "only" cats are harder to place

Aww what a sad story!!! Man I wish I could have another Aby!!! I think that breeder needs to be reported I really hope that Aby finds a home. And hopefully his diarrhea will clear up soon.
    I'll be praying for you, sweet little aby!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I think its a great idea to see if you could foster him. If your hubby doesn't want you to foster, maybe you can encourage the shelter to find him a foster home. Tell them the change in behavior you noted when you had him in the other room.

If neither of those ideas work, could you hang around the customers at the shelter and sort of let them know about the sweet boy. Maybe you can convince someone to take him.

And if THAT doesn't work, just threaten your husband
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I told everyone at the shelter that he needed to be with other cats. So, we left him in his cage in the entrance (did I spell that right??) of the cat room. One of the girls said that at night, they would slide his cage into the room so the cats can get used to his scent. She was there about half the time he was out, so she saw how well he was doing. I'm so glad.

Gosh...I REALLY want him. Do you all think he would do well with our current cats???

Last night, David said, "If in a week, Oliver is getting along with the cats, then maybe." Guess where Oliver is right now? Walking around the apartment...being a good boy!!!

I want him....

Ok, go remind David then!

Can you call the shelter and check up on him?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by aly
    Ok, go remind David then!

Can you call the shelter and check up on him?
    Yea, I'm going to call tomorrow...they don't answer the phones on Sundays.

I keep reminding him....I'll wear him down...hopefully.