Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a very frightened cat

Help with a very frightened cat

A friend of mine has recently (earlier this week) adopted a cat that was badly mistreated by his former owners.
    The cat, who is now called Henry, is really scared, and is shaky and nervous all the time.
    I've never had any experience with any cats who were abused like Henry, and I'm not really sure what advice to give my friend, beyond being very patient and gentle with Henry. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and can give me some advice to pass on to my friend. She is commited to Henry and is willing to do whatever it takes to make him a happier cat.
    Louise

Well done to your friend for being prepared to "stick it out" and persevere to settle Henry into his new home - he is a very lucky cat!

I havent really got any experience with abused cats, I have however had a couple of feral kittens in my house for short periods (usually only an overnight whilst I make arrangements with the SPCA). What I have found works well is to make sure they have somewhere they can "hide" where they feel safe - some cats like a cardboard box with a hole cut in the side, and a blanket inside, others prefer something less closed in - like a blanket in a corner of the room, next to a sofa or something. Some cats are happier when they can climb up high - do they have a closet or something where they could give him his own special place? He may also sttle in better if he does not have the run of the entire house - maybe resrticting him to one room which he can get used to will not be so overwhelming for him, and once he has settled down he can explore the rest of the house at his own pace

I suppose the only real cure for this is lots of patience and love. But I am sure if your friend perseveres she will be rewarded with a very loyal and loving pet at the end of it all. Best of Luck!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

The best thing is to confine them to one room. Make sure it has hiding places and all his needs. Patience, of course, is the key, but gentle and quiet behavior on the owner's part will work wonders. Try not to force him to do anything. Make your attempts to pet him as unthreatening as possible (I have been know to lay on the floor on my back in order to show submission to the cat) Being in the same room but NOT trying to interact with the cat is important. Just do things: Watch tv, read, play cards, talk......just let him observe. Tempt him to come close with extra special treats. And do not free feed. Let him be dependant on you for his meals. If he can trust you at feeding time you can begin to tame him and then the relationship can grow from there.
    Keep us informed and feel free to ask more questons.

I just got off the phone with my friend, she is as we speak setting up a room for Henry, and she's going to try keeping him in that room for a little while until he at least gets more used to her.

On a positive note when she got up this morning, Henry was asleep on the floor of her bedroom, he had been under the sofa when she went to bed. Unfortunatly as soon as he saw she was awake he ran off, but I think this is a positive sign.

I'll keep everyone posted, and eventually I'll post a picture, apparantly Henry is a cutie (I haven't seen him either!). But right now my friend doesn't want to frighten him with the flash from the camera.

Nsweezie,

You got some great advice here. A cat that has been abused usually takes longer to come out of their shell. Eli is still a little skiddish, but is slowly coming around. Just give your kitty some time to trust again.

The best thing you can do is give the kitty his own room. This way it won't seem so overwhelming. Spend time in the room on the floor with him. Talk to him, give him treats, show him that you aren't a threat. Love, patience and lots of treats are the key to a happy cat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

nsweezie, cats do things when THEY are ready. Mopsy was that way. I thought she would never come to me especially to be inside the house. But one day she decided to come to me and she also let me bring her into my home. Now, she sleeps and eats in her own little area, namely the center of the couch.

..........wayne

henry

just so pleased to hear henry has now found an awesome home, he deserves it , poor chap, yes just lots of time and patience and love is all you can give him, keep us posted love to hear about his progress
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

You may want to tell your friend about "Rescue Remedy". I got some for our newest two and it really has helped Micah feel safer. I got it at GNC.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I've always thought that you should sleep in the same room with your new kitty--something about snoozing together (such a safe and pleasant activity) will help bond the two of you. When my ex-feral boy, Bill, came to live with us, I slept with him in the spare bedroom for his first two weeks. The first night, he hid under the bed and only came out for food, water and sandbox. The second night and all subsequent nights he spent on the bed with me, usually pouncing the covers whenever I moved. He's very confident now.

Secondly, be very patient and gentle. Speak softly, move slowly.

Thirdly, get an interactive toy, like a feather on a stick, and play play play with him. He'll associate you with lots of fun and be more confident with you.

Yes, I agree that food should be offered by you, personally, not left out all the time. Make it a reward for coming closer to you.

And finally, thanks for being willing to do this for this frightened little kitty--you are storing up treasure in heaven!

my cat was like this too

My cat was very much like this too and now she is the friendliest cat around! What I did was kept her in one room (the first place she goes to is where she is most likely to feel safe) put the food in that room. For my cat at first she was under a bed. Just give him a couple weeks or moreand make him feel like he can trust you. Waht I did was I rolled a little ball over to her and it ended up we were playing a game of catch (but rolling the ball back and forth). My cat came from a dump where someone had dropped her and her brothers and sisters off in a paper box and she was most likely abused. Its also to good to give it treats and cat nip (to hyper it up he it will be playful LoL) But anyways, I dont know if this will work for ur cat but it worked 4 mine!
    ~*~*~*MARY*~*~*~

can u all tell me

that last thread brings me to my next question, what do folks think about 'Catnip' I have heard bad and good things, some people say its too addictive and not good for cats, i have no opinion on it myself, so am interested, as i am thinking of buying Lexie a new toy with catnip, your opinions counts thanks .
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

We give our cats catnip--two of them love it, the other two couldn't care less about it. I don't think it's bad for them at all. It's herbal, after all!

Catnip is good. My cat are ALL catnip addicts. Doogie goes BONKERS over it! I wonder if there are any CA (Catnip Anonymous) meetings around here???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You have some great advice for your friend.

I'm currently trying to socialize a very scared stray. I'm making progress because he lets me pet him on his terms. Before I couldn't even touch him.

Good luck to your friend!

And to answer your question... my cats LOVE catnip. I have no reservations about giving it to them.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Nip is gewd. Nip is Very gewd... I think I chase my tail and have a nap now ....

I think Bastet said it all
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."