Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Eye

Cherry Eye

I have a 12 week old English bull puppy I bought her 4 weeks ago. When I got her she was very sick. I did not know she was sick when I bought her until the next day when she started coughing really bad and her nose started running. I took her to the vet and they told me that she had kennel cough they put her on some meds and two days later she was worse I took her to another vet that vet told me that the kennel cough turned into pnoumina they started her on different meds and gave her shots of lasix. She is doing some what better now but last night she got a cherry eye the people I have talked with today says there are two opitions take it out or have it sticthed back in what is the best opition I have. Thanks.
    Jan and family

Oh my...I have had no experience with cherry eye.

Did you contact the people you bought your pup from? They should be notified that they sold a sick puppy.

Did you sign any kind of contract with them? I know you are attached to the pup, but you might be entitled to your money back if you return the pup or a replacement pup. In this situation I would want my money returned and I would look for someone with healthier pups!

Please do not feel badly about returning your pup if you bought the pup from a breeder. You were sold a sick pup and they need to correct the situation.
    Amy & The Hawkwind Critters
    Hawkwind Studio

Jan so sorry to hear about your pup.

Your questions should be directed to your Vet.

It does say in my vet book that Cherry is usually removed
    surgically and in a few cases may respond to antibiotics.

I agree with Anakins. Check your contract that you
    received from your pups breeder.
    (See what your rights are.)
    Ask your vet if the pups problems
    (kennel cough) originated before you took posession of
    the pup, and if Cherry Eye is hereditary.
    I would definetly let the breeder now what is going on
    and depending how your contract is worded you might
    be able to work something out with the breeder.

----<---<--<{(@

There's good description of Cherry Eye here.

It is not something to be dealt with lightly, as you see if you read that thread. It is a gland that she needs! I would worry first about getting her healthy from the pneumonia, THEN worry about treating the Cherry Eye. It looks bad, but is not, unlike pneumonia, life-threatening.

I would definitely contact the breeder, she sound like a very sick little pup, and she was when you got her, so the breeder should share vet expenses with you. Any breeder who cares should, at least. Keep all your vet records together to show the breeder copies.

Hi everyone I have talked to the breeder about the kennel cough that turned into pnemiona. The breeder had already said that another one of the pups that was in with my pup had kennel cough so to me that proves she already had it when I recived her. In her contract that I did not sign she said that I am responsbile for all vet bills and that sence cherry eye is common in bulldogs that she is not responsbile for that either. The only way she would do something about the cherry eye is if it was not normal cherry eye I have not been able to fing out what is normal. But my vet said the cherry eye probley came from all of the coughing she had with the kennel cough and the pnoumina.Because of all the strain on hereyes from coughing so much. The breeder told me I had two choices I could send her back that would cost me 250.00 to fly her back pluse the 200.00 I have in vet bills that I would not have any thing to show for or she would send me under 50.00 dollars for the meds for the kennel cough. She says that kennel cough cant turn into pnoumia. Despite what all the web sites say and what the two vets I have taken her two say. Also the pnoumia is cleared up. She is just still on the meds to keep it from coming back she will be on the meds for 4 more days.
    Jan and family

That's good, keep up the meds so the kennel cough/pneumonia stays gone for good. Ask your vet about treating the Cherry eye nonsurgically for now, see if the swelling goes down.

Because you did NOT sign a contract with that breeder, you may have a case to recover some of the vet costs in small claims court if you want to pursue that.

Barring that, I would tell the Better Business Burea and the AKC of your problems (the kennel cough and pneumonia, not the cherry eye) with this breeder so that other people will know not to buy puppies from her.

I am not up on the law, but I do watch Animal Court with
    Judge Whopper all the time. lol

If you get get medical records with a statment
    from both your vet that the kennel cough did cause
    the pnemionia and that the cherry eye "was defenitely"
    the caused by the coughing or it is hereditary etc.
    I think you would have a good chance
    in small claims court too.
    I would document your calls,
    and any correspondance with the breeder and check
    out to see if their is a lemon law in the state
    you bought the pup in.
    Maybe you will get some vet bills reimbursed.
    Good luck and please keep us informed
    on your puppy and what ever you decide.

----<---<--<{(@

Hi Everyone. I took my pup back to the vet today for the cherry eye. They are treating the cherry with Bacitracin/hydrocort.oint right now because her kennel cough has gotten worse. They changed her meds again. So far she has been on Amoxi then it was changed to Cephalexin now she is thking Clavamox plus cough tabs. Pluse the Bacitracin for her eye. Has anyone been through this and if so what worked for your baby. Any input would be great. Thanks.
    Jan and family

I am so sorry that her kennel cough has gotten worse.
    I am sorry I have no suggestions.
    Poor baby, I hope that she will get better soon.
    I will be thinking of you both.

----<---<--<{(@

Originally posted by KYS
    I am not up on the law, but I do watch Animal Court with
    Judge Whopper all the time. lol

I am not at all trying to make a joke out of this thread, but how funny is that show!!! Judge Whopper, lol

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear that your pup is not feeling well, and about the cherry eye. Unfortunately I know nothing about it, but I will keep your pup in my thoughts, and pray that the meds work for your baby.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Just wanted to add something about Cherry Eye. Cherry eye in Bullies has a strong hereditary component. That being said, it can occur at any time during a Bullie's life. Often with young Bullies minor cherry eye episodes come and go as the head changes as your Bullie grows.

I have seen minor instances with Goliath if he has been exerting himself (as in the case of coughing). Usually I can massage the bulge back into place.

The 2 main methods of treatment are a tuck to hold the gland in place. The other is to have the gland removed.

It can comeback if tucked sometimes. With removal you will likely end up using eye drops daily on your Bullie's eye to prevent it from drying out.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    Kind regards,

James and Goliath

I will always strive to the be the person my Bulldog thinks I am.

http://www.bulldogdomain.com

Our Cincy had cheery eye in both eyes as a pup. The first eye, we had the eyelid stiched back into place when Cincy was 10 wks old. She then got a virus due to the weaked immune system from being under anthesia which led to warts in her mouth. At the same time, the other eyelid "pooped" out. Becuase she also had warts onthe eyelid they could not reattached it and the eyelid of this eye was removed. We have not had any problems with dry-eye, yet but it is something we need to keep watch of. We also have had no reoccurance with the other eye.

Short story long, both methods seem to work for us.

Hope your pup feels better soon

Welcome to the world of BACKYARD BREEDERS. These people breed for money, not the welfare of the animals or the best interest of the breed.

Only reputable breeders will take their dogs back for any reason at any time because they truly CARE about the dogs and they will tell you that up front and in writing with a contract.

Unfortunately, reputable breeders are few and far between.
    You know where all those pet shop pups come from right? Puppy Mills!

Our Bullie, Rocky, had Cherry eye before. He was about 3 months old when he got it. We ended up getting his pushed back in. We got the surgery done anyways cause there's a good chance it could have came back. He hasn't had it since and is a healthy boy! Cherry eye is quite common in bulldogs. As a matter of fact, I know a couple of people's Bullies who've had cherry eye. Also, whoever your puppies breeder is isn't a very good one. We breed bulldogs and if ANY of our puppies were sick then we'd take them back and give a full refund. Any responsible breeder would know better and wouldn't even sell a sick puppy in the first place!! I hope your Bullie gets through this and is ok. Let me know how it goes!!

P.S. I just love looking at other people's Bullies so if you have any pictures, send 'em my way!!
    The Loves Of My Life:

~*Chelsea*~

Check us out for lots of Bullie Pics!

Kind regards,

James and Goliath

I will always strive to the be the person my Bulldog thinks I am.