Thread: Unvaccinate puppy in with other dogs?

Unvaccinate puppy in with other dogs?

I am extremely concerned about what a friend of mine is doing (please also see my question about her breeding).

Last week she brought home an unvaccinated 8-10 week old puppy from a rescue centre. As this puppy was unvaccinated should she have put it in the house in contact with the other dogs? (these are vaccinated and go outside for walks).

He has now had his first vaccination and she carried him to the park when she took the other dogs, he wanted to play so she let him run about. She said "he could have come from a rubbish dump and been exposed to things already".

Is / was the puppy at risk by what she did?

Sarah
    Happy to help

I do know that parvo can be transmitted between dogs. I hope the pup was tested. There is a chance the pup could transmit to or contact parvo from other dogs.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

At the park or anywhere the puppy can pick up and catch all kinds of things.They have some immunuties from the mother but not knowing the situation the pup may have been taken to early and not been given all the immunities and lots canbe passed through stools and even the grass, let alone contact with other dogs.I would wait until the dog is a bit older and has it's vacinations.I do like the newer vaccine protocals.I think we do tend to overvaccinate but I do think we need to still do it just not as much and some other changes(whole other topic-controversy) but to keep the puppy safe I would not expose it at such a young age to dogs with who knows qhat.You can socialize it with dogs that you know are heathy and vaccinated.She should check with her vet but if her dogs are vaccinated and the puppy has been checked she is probably ok.What I would think she would have to worry about are things like worms,kennel cough,parasites of any kind ,fleas.I hope things work out.I m a firm believer in rescues.I do it myself..
    Laurie=Byakko's Mom

Def. the puppy is not protected until it goes thru all it's puppy vaccines. In fact, it is vulnerable to all sorts of deseases! I would never take my pup out to parks or other places where other dogs frequent often. One can never trust that the other dogs are being cared for the way they should. Each vet / person has their own ideas on which vaccines and how often they should be given, but that is whole another subject.
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!