Thread: Diarrhea in cats

Diarrhea in cats

Hello

My female kitty has had very soft stool lately but today I noticed is is very liquid like diarrhea, it is light brown in color. She never does hard stool, they seem to be a bit soft all the time. A few times there has been blood mix in the stool. My two male cats don't have that problem, they usually do harder stool. I have to tell she is a tortie and very nervous girl, does that have something to do with her having diarrhea. I heard that Science Diet helps with cats that have diarrhea, is that true or now, I know rice is supposed to help. Please help, I want to know what is wrong with my girl. What is the cause? Thanks for your time and consideration.

check and make sure there are'nt any worms in the stool... Tinky had diarrhea when she was a kitten from worms.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Humans can have soft stools from the effects of stress, but I don't know if cats can. Might be worth a call to your vet to find out.

Is she a young kitty? If so, keep an eye on her hydration as small cats can dehydrate from diarrhoea quickly.

I hope she picks up soon, good luck.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

She is an adult, 1yr 8mos, a small girl. She was a foster baby, she was really tiny when we adopted her at 2mos and still she isn't that big compared to my other two cats.

I would at least call your vets office and let them know what is going on. She may need to be seen. What kind of food are you feeding her? She may be having a reaction to her food. I'd also watch her to make sure she doesn't become dehydrated. Please keep us updated.

As others have said, the call to a vet is probably in order. Then, I would watch what I fed her...no table scraps, and a high quality kitty food. Lots of water, and no milk...if she has a problem with digestion. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Isn't that Sabrina who had the blood in her stool in November?
    Nothing to add: see the vet!

Please be careful with diarrhea in cats ! They dry out so easily !! I would rush to the vet asap ! My little Inka had severe diarrhea when she got it , and without medicine , she wouldn't have made it !! let us know what happens , okay!

Right now, i'm feeding her Science Diet kibbles to see if that works. I'm keeping an eye out for her stools. Sometimes, it is diarrhea and other times it just soft.

I_Love_Cats,

Have you changed her food lately?? Sometimes an abrupt change in diet will effect the stools. If you do change to a different food, you need to do it gradually. Add some of the new food to the old stuff and cut back gradually on the old stuff till she gets used to the new.

Also check her stools for worms. A dose or 2 of Drontyl, a deworming medicine, will do the trick.

Let us know how you make out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Any updates on you cat?
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey