Thread: My new cat terrorizes my tiniest cat!

USA - born in Texas, live in Virginia, work in DC

My new cat terrorizes my tiniest cat!

I have five wonderful cats, aged from 3 1/2 to 1. I recently adopted cat number 5, Chip, a gorgeous 2 yr. old buff male tiger. I adopted him from the shelter 3 weeks ago via a foster home. I'm not sure of his previous treatment, although I think he may have been mistreated, given his jumpiness. He also has not been around other cats before. I always have to be prepared that he might bite me and have had a couple of punctures already. Mostly he is very loving to me and sleeps next to my head. He is also the only lap cat I have. My problem is that although he is still hissing at my other cats (and they are giving him time to settle in), he picks on my little tiny girl cat, Chrissie, who is also 2 yrs old. She is tiny and delicate and he is a big cat. She is skittish anyway and it took a while for her to trust me. Now I am concerned that (1) he might actually hurt her and (2) that it will have some effect on her. Meanwhile, I would like to know if there is anything I can or should do to calm Chip down.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice in this area, but I'm sure that some of our other pettalkers will see your post and offer some advice.

Meanwhile - welcome to Pettalk. I think you will like it here.

We adopted Olivia, the balck cat in my signature, on Dec. 14. We had three cats at the time and it took weeks to even allow her free run of the house because our three HATED her.

She's a big cat, and a 6 year old female. She thinks the house is hers and the other cats need to get out of her way. So far, Basil (our smallest) is the only one she doesn't bother, most likely because he's the most submissive and loving. Noah, on the other hand is our first cat and thinks HE owns the house. Over two months later and they still don't like each other.

It takes lots and lots of time. Unfortunatly, they may never get along, but Chrissie will learn to avoid him and find a place he wont go. My advice sounds so sad, I'm sorry. But, you should give Chrissie a lot of attention and love. Be really gentle with her and defend her when Chip is mean to her. We have to do this with Olivia and Noel (our timid, yet total girl tortie). I keep a squirt bottle a hand and if Olivia starts up her attitude, we go over, pet them both, then we move one of them...and if Olivia persists, we squirt her in the back with the water. They are just learning to avoid each other.

I hope that can help you a bit. Welcome to Pet Talk!! I'd love to hear all about your other cats...and Chip too...I LOVE orange kitties.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

USA - born in Texas, live in Virginia, work in DC
    Thanks for the kind words. I have loved reading this website for quite a while, but have never taken part until today. I have always had a great affinity for cats -- we just understand each other somehow and there is absolute trust between us. I adore all my kitties and would adopt every homeless cat if I could (as we all would!) but it isn't possible. Last week I was offered at least 3 more cats. Sad state of affairs, isn't it? Because all my cats' names start with a C, as does mine, my boss calls us the 6 C's. My "firstborn," Columbus, is a beautiful 3 year old grey tabby with lots of black stripes, and he is a totally precious, friendly kitty. I think he would hold the flashlight for a burglar. He was an only child for his first year, so after feeling guilty for leaving him alone, I adopted Cricket and Chrissie (brother and sister) who are 2. Cricket is a slim, long legged kitty who is shy, but incredibly sweet and LOVES to be brushed. The aforementioned Chrissie is a brown version of Columbus. She loves showers and is always waiting when anyone gets out of the shower, and has the cutest "rattle" purr. And then there is Courtney, 1 year old, who I adopted last August. She is a gorgeous Maine Coon mix, with lots of attitude and lots of love to give. My first three had never seen anything like her, but now they all love her. And then I just got Chip, who I am hoping will settle in. He is a wonderful kitty who has obviously been traumatized, and I hope he will learn to relax and trust. Courtney tried at first to be friends, but even she seems to avoid him now. Chip does seem to recognize that Columbus is Top Cat, but he wants to wedge himself in their as at least number 2. I have gotten a recommendation to a vet who specializes in animal holistic medicine, but I'm not sure what to think about that. If anyone has any experience with this, I would love to hear about it.

welcome to pet talk. Cats sooner or later will settle their differences. In the case of Chrissie, I would have you do as I do with my Fern. She has always been shy and afraid of the others. I try to prevent the others from picking on her as much as possible, but I have noticed that even though she really hates it when they bother her, it has somehow brought her out of her shell MORE than when they did not bother her. (if that made sense). your newest may well be trying for top spot, and he may or may not get it. But they will figure it out with time and patience. Don't be afraid to use a squirt bottle to curb any rough stuff. Good luck

Maybe isolation in a well-lit room for awhile would help your buff guy . It would let him have some territory while he gradually adjusts to your brood.

Re: My new cat terrorizes my tiniest cat!

Originally posted by Cathy5
    I have five wonderful cats, aged from 3 1/2 to 1. I recently adopted cat number 5, Chip, a gorgeous 2 yr. old buff male tiger. I adopted him from the shelter 3 weeks ago via a foster home. I'm not sure of his previous treatment, although I think he may have been mistreated, given his jumpiness. He also has not been around other cats before. I always have to be prepared that he might bite me and have had a couple of punctures already. Mostly he is very loving to me and sleeps next to my head. He is also the only lap cat I have. My problem is that although he is still hissing at my other cats (and they are giving him time to settle in), he picks on my little tiny girl cat, Chrissie, who is also 2 yrs old. She is tiny and delicate and he is a big cat. She is skittish anyway and it took a while for her to trust me. Now I am concerned that (1) he might actually hurt her and (2) that it will have some effect on her. Meanwhile, I would like to know if there is anything I can or should do to calm Chip down.
    ju

dear cathy you should put your two cats in a room together( make sure its a desent size room ). At first they will leave eachother alone. Then one of them will go near the other cat . Sometimes they will fight, but soon they will learn to deal with eachother and get along. Trust me i have done thise befor, and now my cats get along just fine. good luck .