Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you feed them?

We feed our dogs "Solid Gold" it's natural and holistic dry lamb and rice. They seem to do well on it and for treats we get cookies from the "Growling Gourmets" a mom of two Mini Schnauzers who bakes natural cookies without any preservatives who is a member of our community.
    Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

I feed my miniature poodle, Buddy (9) and my GSD, Filippo (2) a combination of commercial dog food (Pedigree) and the BARF diet. I believe in a diet rich in natural vitamin C which they get from the raw meaty bones and fresh fruits and vegetables. Both dogs are in incredible physical shape and have beautiful coats. My GSD had a leg problem when i first acquired him at 7 months. After having no success with anti-inflammatorys prescribed by the vet, along with leash exercise only, I began to feed him this way. Within three weeks on his new diet, the leg strengthened and he has never limped again. He is out, running and playing in off leash parks an average of 3 - 5 hours per day. Some folks find this way of feeding a dog strange, but you must remember, only "cooked" bones splinter, never give your dog cooked bones. Raw is the only way to go!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We feed Angus Eukanuba large beed Senior, and the girls Eukanuba Maintence.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Welcome to Pet Talk, CParker. Your dogs are beautiful!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I feed my dogs Iams dog food.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I feed Kai Eukanuba Puppy Lamb and Rice Formula. I think it's an ok brand...but he's really picky about food and I often have to mix raw turkey, chicken or ground beef into his food. We'll be switching over to another type soon...something with human grade ingredients...or just totally raw.

Rambunctious, rumbustious, delinquent dogs become angelic when sitting - Ian Dunbar

down with Iams.

I, personally, strongly discourage Iams dog food. A source of their food is actually ground animal bones and nails, not enough lean meats and protein. AND it is way way overpriced. Of course, it is very convenient, what with it being rigth there in your local grocery store - but, I would drive that extra five miles to the pet store every time if it meant my boys health. Of course, Iams might work for your dog. Archie won't touch it. My vet tech, actually, suggested I feed him Iams (because the office gets the food on discount), and when I tried to feed him that, I ended up having to spice it up with light gravy every day... only to have him almost stagnate with diharrea! This is why I dislike the Iams brand. Once upon a time, it was a quality brand, but as Iams became more and more popular the quality of the dog food decreased it seems. So.. I feed Archie Nurto Natural for Active Large Breeds.. because he is extremely active. He likes it a lot, and has zero health problems on it. The quality of Nutro is also so good, that more protein stays in your dogs body (unlike the garbage in Iams), causing them to eliminate more firmly and less. Which is also good. I also really recommend Diamond brand dog food. It is very affordable and has great quality ingredients!
    Archie <3

what should I feed my 2 month old female German Shepherd, Ginger? Barf Diet or Wellness. Which one is better. If I decide Barf Diet what should I feed her to make it a complete nutr. diet? Or do I have to feed her something else with the Barf Diet, because the barf diet does give her all the nutritions she needs? I'm confused?????
    "when life gets tough, get a dog."

I feed Science Diet and the vet I work for recommends of course Science Diet which we sell but also highly recommends Nutro (this is what he feeds) Iams? just at our clinic we notice 90 precent of the dogs with allergies are fed Iams. Is there something to this?
    Sci. Diet and Eukanuba, and Iams were all developed with the same formula, but when Iams went commerical it is no longer regulated by the FDA, Although Iams and Eukanuba are the same company, Eukanuba is still regulated by the FDA.

Originally posted by zeyad
    what should I feed my 2 month old female German Shepherd, Ginger? Barf Diet or Wellness. Which one is better. If I decide Barf Diet what should I feed her to make it a complete nutr. diet? Or do I have to feed her something else with the Barf Diet, because the barf diet does give her all the nutritions she needs? I'm confused?????
    To find out about the B.A.R.F. diet , Type in you search engine B.A.R.F. and go. I know alot of people, vets included that fed the B.A.R.F, diet and thier dogs do great. It has all the nutrition that they need. But it is a time consuming feeding program. and you have to be careful with your raw meats. As for Wellness, I am not familar with it. I dont think it is sold in my area. I have never heard of it until I came to Pet Talk. Maybe some of the people here that feed it can give you more info on it. But what ever you do Don't keep changing foods as by doing this, it can cause a yukky problem. DIARRHEA

Good luck in deciding.

Originally posted by zeyad
    what should I feed my 2 month old female German Shepherd, Ginger? Barf Diet or Wellness. Which one is better.
    I feed my 5 yr. old female GSD, Shiloh, Wellness Super 5 Mix Lamb and Rice.
    She absolutely loves it!! (Killian likes it, too, when I allow him to taste it, but it is too rich for his liver disease system!)
    I like what's in it and I like what's NOT in it. Since I have GSDs, I like the fact that the food is NOT extruded, it is baked. It does not swell up if left in water, so it doesn't do that in the stomach either. This should cut down on the chance of bloat which is such a threat to GSDs.
    Check out the website to see what's in it. It is kind of expensive compared to some other foods. http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs...DogSup5MixLamb

Good luck on whatever you choose!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Originally posted by Sudilar

I feed my 5 yr. old female GSD, Shiloh, Wellness Super 5 Mix Lamb and Rice.
    She absolutely loves it!! (Killian likes it, too, when I allow him to taste it, but it is too rich for his liver disease system!)
    I like what's in it and I like what's NOT in it. Since I have GSDs, I like the fact that the food is NOT extruded, it is baked. It does not swell up if left in water, so it doesn't do that in the stomach either. This should cut down on the chance of bloat which is such a threat to GSDs.
    Check out the website to see what's in it. It is kind of expensive compared to some other foods. http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs...DogSup5MixLamb

Good luck on whatever you choose!
    Where do you buy your Wellness dogfood from?? Do you know or could find out any place that will ship Wellness dogfood to me in the Us Virgin Islands. I am looking everywhere to find a place that will ship me wellness to me in USVI.

For Wellness, type in your zip code here and see if it is available anywhere http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/loca...cator_form.asp

If not, go to Contact Us and explain your situation.

Good luck!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Originally posted by Sudilar
    For Wellness, type in your zip code here and see if it is available anywhere http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/loca...cator_form.asp

If not, go to Contact Us and explain your situation.

Good luck!!
    I don't bring up any thing for around my zipcode. Do you know any other ways or online stores that sell Wellness???

I rather get Wellness for my two month old GSD, Ginger. Than use Iams to feed her. I checked out Wellness on their website and liked what I saw. If I could get Wellness for Ginger, she would be eating better than what I get.