Thread: Memory?

Memory?

I have never had a good memory and now I am getting older it seems to be worse, lists for shopping, lists to do, lists for this lists for that.....and yet....
    tonight a record was on the radio from the year dot, King of the Road by Roger Milller, and I sang along word perfect. If Blue Suede Shoes by Presley is ever played, come the end and in my mind I always continue into into "well, since my baby left me..." (Heartbreak Hotel, which followed on the LP, my husband had a LOT of Elvis records!). There are lots of other examples I could quote too. It seems that music is the key to improving my memory. Maybe I should turn all my lists into songs.

Chris

ChrisH,

Interesting thought about music & memory. As children we
    sang the ABC'S of the alphabet all the time as a way of
    memorizing them. Maybe music aides memory.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Or, in usual PetTalk fashion, we can rewrite lyrics to suit our needs.

Sid needs to have his dry food shaken for him before he will eat it - so I often find myself picking it up and singing to him

"shake shake shake. shake shake shake. Shake your food dish... shake your food dish yeah."

Short term memory

There are so many theories about short term memory loss....and there are exercises to improve it. I suggest you go to Google.com and do some searching on the internet about the topic. Now don't forget to do it.

Love,
    SAS

I'm only 22 and I have to write everything down. I can't go to the grocery store without a list, because I always forget at least one thing.

For a science exam once, my friends and I made up a song to remember how an ionic bond is made.. we did it to the tune of "Isn't it Ironic" (*sing* isn't it ionic.. it's like a metal, and a non-metal!) and I still know that an ionic bond is a metal and a non-metal.. but that's all I know. It was kinda funny when we all started humming when we got to that question on the test!

Loss of memory is defenitely an aging problem ! I used to remember everything ; I knew ALL birthdays in my family , never needed a telephone book ...! But oh waw , since a few years , I cannot remember the easiest things . Sometimes I even do not remember things we decided the day before .. !
    I am trying to train my memory with crossword-puzzles , but it doesn't help a lot ...!
    You are so right about songs , Chris ! I know whole songs by heart from my childhood ! I even still remember half the text of a German poem . ( Barbara , I must send you a pm , so I can remember the other words ... It is about the Lorelei)

Oh well , we are getting old , aren't we

Memory...what memory?!
    If you ask me what I did last night, I'll stare at you blankly for a good 5 minutes until I remember. I really believe music is a good memory device. I'll never forget my 6th grade teacher did this sing song thing for all the prepositions we had to remember for English class. I can recite every single one to this day. I've never forgotten a song. No matter how years have gone by, if it was a song I liked, I can sing it word for word. Funny how I can remember just about any song from years ago but I can't remember what I wrote on the grocery list 5 minutes ago!

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Chinadoll,

Funny you should mention prepositions. It was a requirement
    for our 6th grade class to memorize them also. I still know
    them all by heart. LOL. Never found the right spot to include
    this accomplishment on my resume. Did you also attend a
    parochial school, by chance?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt